PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans Pricing

GmbHouse
October 7th, 2003, 22:37
The new Road and Track has the Le Mans being priced at $190,000 US (Gulp!).

Ra5a
October 8th, 2003, 01:44
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2298

Nordschleife
October 8th, 2003, 10:29
Originally posted by GmbHouse
The new Road and Track has the Le Mans being priced at $190,000 US (Gulp!).

Just 2 observations:

the car as shown will not be built, Audi will release a car much like the 996 Carrera in terms of performance

$US 190,000 for the exhibited car is cheap, check out the price of competitors, like the Carrera GT

R+C

Finnus
October 8th, 2003, 13:09
the car as shown will not be built, Audi will release a car much like the 996 Carrera in terms of performance

$US 190,000 for the exhibited car is cheap, check out the price of competitors, like the Carrera GT

I always thought the original $80-$120,000 was a pipe dream. I think Audi should step up to the plate and build it as exhibited, just to show they can ...

Finnus
:addict:

Nordschleife
October 8th, 2003, 17:45
Originally posted by Finnus
I always thought the original $80-$120,000 was a pipe dream. I think Audi should step up to the plate and build it as exhibited, just to show they can ...

Finnus
:addict:

Well we know they can build it, after all the Lamborghini Gallardo is built at Neckarsulm, and they build the R8, and effectively designed the Bentley Le mans car.

Finnus
October 9th, 2003, 02:53
Well we know they can build it, after all the Lamborghini Gallardo is built at Neckarsulm, and they build the R8

Nordschleife,

I don't question that they can build it. From all I read, the Gallardo is a great car. The R8's another matter - not a production auto. I'm sure custom building the LQ prototype itself was no small feat and probably a very expensive exercise. The questions is will they build it?

All I'm saying is build the LQ as exhibited - it's an awesome blending of technologies. Don't back off. Mercedes has the CL65 AMG and the SLR McLaren both over 600 hp. This is Audi's chance to compete on all fronts - performance, styling, ergonomics, comfort, cost (?) - and really make a name for itself.

Why show us something they won't build? Audi, don't tease us with what could be. Is there not a market for this beast?

:cheers:
:addict: :addict: :addict:

Benman
October 9th, 2003, 06:36
Originally posted by Finnus
This is Audi's chance to compete on all fronts - performance, styling, ergonomics, comfort, cost (?) - and really make a name for itself.

Why show us something they won't build? Audi, don't tease us with what could be. Is there not a market for this beast?

Wow. I can't believe it but i actually agree with Nordschleife (but probably for different reasons). I also don't think Audi will make the car as shown. But because of the fact that (in at least the U.S. market anyway) the market might not accept a $150,000.00 - $190,000.00 Audi. As much of an Audi freack as i am, i do notice the common reaction to expensive Audis. "How much? Wow, you could have bought a nice Benz for that kind a dough."

I don't mind the average American's thinking but then again i'm not Audi Market Research. They realize (with as much CRAP that's in print about the RS 6s price!!!) that they'd have a VERY hard time selling Audis that are priced similar to Ferraris. It doesn't matter if it could beat the performance. the point is THIS market has the attitude of "DANG!!! For that much dough you should have got a Modena!" We'll have to wait and see how the Phaeton does here to tell if Americans are that brand shallow. Well i've sure rambled on enough...

Bauer
October 9th, 2003, 07:30
I believe that Audi for years always had to play the value car to attract buyers that did not understand the philosphy behind them. Audi has several years of suspect quaity cars being made and gladly those years seem to be behind us.

The problem is that the public at large still views audi as the value play and in most regards it is. You just cant expect people to say over night I will pay 150K for an Audi no matter how good it is. Audi has "programed" their market in general to think of audi as a less expensive and good alternitive to other cars. Thats the problem with not considering long term effect on how the market precieves your product....it takes years if not decades to change.

This all comming from a guy who has owned NOTHING but AUDI's and I have because I love the cars.:cheers:

Finnus
October 9th, 2003, 23:44
Benman & Bauer,

I don't disagree with what you've said. Although I think they've gotten some great performance brand recognition with the RS4, RS6 & R8. Anyways, I just hope they build it and import it to the States!

I'd slap a deposit on it in a heartbeat. Whether I'll be in aposition to buy it or not ...

Finnus

Erik
November 1st, 2003, 13:21
I read the indicated price is 110 000 Euros.

But I doubt there will be a V10 biturbo. :rolleyes:

ksurg
November 11th, 2003, 16:50
I picked up this thread a little late but was interested in the comments about Audi in the US. Yesterday a friend of mine who is a Bently owner said "why would you get an Audi...get a benz. " Like so many in the US he thought of Audi as an upgraded VW and a second rate alternative to BMW or MB. He had no idea that Bently, Lambo,and Buggati belonged to the same corporate group or about how much his beloved Bently has benefitted from Audi technology.
The connection is that a killer all out sportscar by Audi might start to change public opinion. In a way I just as soon not see this happen. As RS-6 guys were driving one of the best kept secrets and changing views might help resale but could also change pricing and the demeanor of our dealerships. I hate to see the bimmer salesforce come to my Audi dealership!

CarbonFibre
December 16th, 2003, 07:00
Yeah I am very two-fold on this whole issue. I want Audi to excell in the car market and succeed but on the other hand I don't want them to become household names like Mercedes-Benz or BMW because they will lose a certain special quality that I valued in them before. My heart will sink the day that a stupid rapper finally puts 22" wheels on an A8L and puts it in his music video (please tell me this hasn't happened yet :vsad: )