PDA

View Full Version : headlight replacement

ntrcptr
September 4th, 2011, 19:34
One of my headlight is fogging-- prolly gonna bust soon. Am thinking OEm replacement is gonna be steep. what ya guys think of this alternative.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-04-A6-RS6-C5-DRL-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-R8-STYLE-/390314359515?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae08c7adb:hey::harass:

hahnmgh63
September 4th, 2011, 19:52
Been discussed here before, please don't do it. They look terrible and they are cheap Chinese or Korean lights depending on the brand. And they definitely would look ricey.

skribe
September 5th, 2011, 16:29
Even if you like the way they look (the looking f-in terrible) they are cheap crap that will fail on you, I've examined them up close.

kismetcapitan
September 5th, 2011, 20:37
just get your stock lamp resealed...and while you're at it, pull out that offensive amber reflector! :)

Jimmy
September 6th, 2011, 15:40
Yeah, go OEM new/used if you have to...just re-sealing it usually does the trick if condensation is making its way into them. BTDT. About $700 for a new assembly from Audi....not that bad for a new xenon unit IMO.

Side not: I just polished my lens with the '3M headlight restoration kit'...it came out awesome ! What a huge difference in clarity and looks. It was pretty darn easy to do too.

speedtrapped
September 6th, 2011, 16:05
I actually did the amber plastic removal and added some silver/amber bulbs in....easy to remove bumper(1st time and I was really suprised how easy), one of my headlights was original, and very easy to seperate when heated w/ hairdryer...resealed easy....However and its been described here before...my 2nd HL was OEM replaced, and the sealent they use is like fort knox, no heat, outside of melting assembly would release the hold....I had to use a cutting wheel and carefully cut the seam....a little ugle, but resealed and left overnight to cure. I will post a pic of what they look like with bulbs and sans amber refelctor...looks very cool

RSSIK
September 6th, 2011, 19:20
I am guilty i had those cheap headlights on my b5 s4 and would never do it again. Speedtrapped please do post pics because I am very curious how they came out as Ive been thinkin I want to remove the amber out of my headlights too.

Dmb408
April 4th, 2015, 18:33
Figured I'd add to this old thread that said use the 3M kit (probably works well too but...). I had bad cloudy lights on the new car too. I just used the cheap plastic x stuff from meguiars. It got it 80% of the way clear I'd say and I was frustrated. Thankfully I'd been removing some dumb NY state inspection stickers the other day with goo gone and had it near by and grabbed it. Did a quick wipe of each light with goo gone and now literally each light looks brand new!

The only bad part is now I see the crappy flaking amber more (my last beast had cleared corners) and want to bake the bulbs... I guess it's bumper removal time right? Time for me to find that thread.

EINHORN
April 5th, 2015, 01:15
3m>* vacuum flakes?

orcars6
April 5th, 2015, 20:04
Cheap yes...but ricey; 2/3 of the world cultivates rice.
Been discussed here before, please don't do it. They look terrible and they are cheap Chinese or Korean lights depending on the brand. And they definitely would look ricey.

Other_Erik
April 7th, 2015, 13:16
Holy old thread!

If anyone is interested, I do still have my old headlights - the mounting tabs are snapped and the height adjuster screw is seized, but otherwise they're in good shape, lots of useable parts attached. Asking whatever I can get for them, maybe $200 + actual shipping?

O_E

TMAC
April 8th, 2015, 04:04
Hmmmm, interesting. I'm in NOVA this week on business too.