PDA

View Full Version : Esc/ABS activated randomly

mdegracia
September 4th, 2011, 15:51
I was driving on a back road, after leaving and intersection, I went into a slight turn at no more than 30mph when the abs kicked on w/o my foot on the brake. At which point the ecs/tcs light came on and stayed on.

Wondering if the failing DRC caused this to trip since it occured on a turn?

Has this happened to anyone else? Scared the shat out of me!

4everRS
September 4th, 2011, 16:51
Not likely DRC. Clean your wheel speed sensors and see if it comes back.

hahnmgh63
September 4th, 2011, 16:59
There have been a few including myself that have had some odd ESP lights. I would occaisonally get a ESP light come on when accelerating hard past 100mph and it would go off when decelerating around 80~100mph. There have been a few others who had similar experience to mine, also without codes thrown. In your case, like 4everRS said I would unbolt each wheel sensor and clean it as they are magnetic and can pick up some junk, and no offense but since you live in the "Rustbelt", the salt can add to corrosion on the CV joint that will flake off rust that will stick to the wheel sensors. Also, if you have Vagcom that is always the first starting point too. Good luck and let us know if you find anything with Vagcom or dirty wheel sensors.

Hy Octane
September 4th, 2011, 21:32
This is also a symptom of the brake switch beginning to fail.

mdegracia
September 4th, 2011, 22:00
Hmmm. Interesting. Carfax showed the brake being replaced around 25k.

Hasn't acted up since. Wondering if loose gravel may have set it off.

4everRS
September 5th, 2011, 00:52
Brakes have nothing to do with the wheel speed sensors. Loose gravel setting it off is unlikely.

DonS
September 7th, 2011, 14:30
What codes are stored in conjunction with the CEL\ABS lights?