PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me the cost and effort to replace an alternator on the RS6?

bakes
September 2nd, 2011, 19:17
I've picked up Headshot's RS6 and as the fellow who was importing it up to Canada for me drove it over the border the battery light came on. Seems like a crappy freak situation but I'm aware of these cars. I've also had his warranty transferred over so I'm going to see if the plan will cover the alternator.

Is it a hard job? I hope not an engine pull?

Greg

SteveKen
September 2nd, 2011, 19:51
In my opinion, it's not too hard.

A bit of a tight squeeze, though but the wires are easy to get to and disconnect.

Also be sure to try not to take the serpentine belt off.

na1mt
September 2nd, 2011, 21:12
The alternater if bought from Audi is around $850. Got mine rebuilt locally for $150. Had to replace from underneath car after removing intetcooler pipe.

JSRS6
September 2nd, 2011, 21:33
His warranty SHOULD cover it...doesnt mean it will. They might try to pull some crap about third party transport or it happened during transfer of ownership. Stay on their ass.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase. You just showed up at the 10 year high school reunion with the prom queen turned supermodel. Everybody else in the room is staring in jealousy...:hihi:

hahnmgh63
September 2nd, 2011, 22:55
I know in the last year or so we've had a few Alternators go, must be getting to that age & mileage. Has anyone tried to just bolt on a new voltage regulator without having to pull the whole thing off the car? The regulator is available separately and it is incorporated with the brushes. I pulled mine off the car (77K miles) and the brushes look only about half way worn so I'm sure the other Alternators going out isn't a brush problem but wondering if the regulators are going bad.

Aronis
September 2nd, 2011, 23:11
Had mine done 7/29/2010

Alternator EOM $550.
Labor 4.6 hours $377.20
Total $927.20 covered by warrantee.

Car was put into "Service Position" so I had the Serpentine Belt Changed (and an oil change, what the hell) and I had the fuel filter sitting in a box, so I had them do that too LOL, that was at 100,937 miles.

Mike

hahnmgh63
September 2nd, 2011, 23:19
If that was done at the dealer those are much cheaper prices than you would get around Seattle. All of the dealers here charge $115~$140 per hour, way over priced.

kevin
September 3rd, 2011, 00:24
If that was done at the dealer those are much cheaper prices than you would get around Seattle. All of the dealers here charge $115~$140 per hour, way over priced.

I'm own and operate an indy Euro shop and charge $90 hr in the midwest (Iowa) I'd say the dealer hr rate is about right.

Aronis
September 3rd, 2011, 02:35
Funny you should mention that.

Since it was warrantee work, I suspect the charge for the Warrantee company to pay vs what they would have charged me is probably very different!

The warrantee co might tell them to kiss off, while the car owner has little or no choice!

Mike

mi021le
September 3rd, 2011, 19:02
when i changed mine. i had to wait for bosh to make it. so it took 3 weeks to get it. then after a week it failed and had to wait 3 weeks again. just my story. lol. was a experience

got boost
September 3rd, 2011, 19:26
diy pics, prices

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19720-Alternator-replacement?p=188906&highlight=#post188906

bakes
September 3rd, 2011, 22:57
I'm having the regulator rebuilt or replaced with a Bosch unit. I'll let you know how it goes. I haven't even driven the car yet and something needs replacing. From all I've ready I know these are finicky beasts so we'll see how it goes. On top of the transfer of Headshot's warranty I'm getting my own fully comprehensive warranty for an additional two years. Can't wait to get the car later this week.

hahnmgh63
September 4th, 2011, 03:22
I don't think the voltage regulators are rebuildable, they look to be sealed solid state units unless someone on the aftermarket side does it, but then I don't think I would go with an unknown unless it is a place with a good reputation already.

arS6
September 4th, 2011, 05:59
I had mine replaced some time in 2010 has about 50K. Covered under warranty. Unfortunately, I think something is bad with it again. Volt meter on the dash shows about 12-13 volts while idle and driving. When cranking the car, it goes all the way down to about 7-8 volts. I was going to buy a new battery but had it checked at AutoBarn and it showed 830 CCV so they said the battery is good. Go figure.

Jimmy
September 6th, 2011, 15:32
The ones you buy from Audi are all re-built units. I did mine a few months ago...and the first one I got from genuineaudiparts.com did not even work ! ( I think it fell off a shelf at the warehouse and hit smack on the shaft; it wouldn't spin). About $460 shipped (with a core charge).

One of the easier things to replace on this car I'd say.

speedtrapped
September 6th, 2011, 16:10
I have an extra if you want to send it out to get rebuilt....$100 plus shipping....it worked when i replaced(70k miles on it), but since i had my engine out, so i replaced with a reman

hahnmgh63
September 6th, 2011, 16:33
There is a guy on Ebay selling a "New RS6 Alternator", the part # on the box actually tells it to be a OEM rebuilt alternator but it does appear to be OEM for $250.

kismetcapitan
September 8th, 2011, 00:09
I've fried plenty of alternators in my life; it was never the internals, but the regulator diodes. Assuming you can replace the regulator and controller, "rebuilding" is very simple.

bakes
September 8th, 2011, 20:20
All that was needed was for the regulators to be rebuilt. Cost was $85 to rebuild and $75 in labour to remove and reinstall. Not too bad in the end.

I finally pick up the car tomorrow from the importer, I can't wait!!!!!

JSRS6
September 8th, 2011, 21:01
Awesome! Glad it worked out for ya.