PDA

View Full Version : Go on, say "We told you so"

RS6NZ
August 30th, 2011, 20:00
G'day forum. About a year ago I very reluctantly left RS6-land and got a low mileage Merc E63 AMG. We had a jolly old time of it debating the merits in a thread around then. At the time, my 100,000 mile RS6 was beginning to be more trouble than it was worth, and in a small market like NZ, there were no low mileage RS6's on the horizon. The E63 was the best bet at that time.

Well, one year on, the E63 has been a great buy, reliable, bloody quick, entertaining in a childish tail-happy drifty way :lovl: and proved itself absolutely hilarious on a track day at the local race circuit, where it earned the nickname 'flying blancmange'. Not a whiff of fuel inside either :hey:

Well, guess what. There is a 35k mile Avus Silver RS6 up for sale and I want it soooooo bad!!! The E63 is up for sale, I will no doubt take a bath on its sale, but I parked next to a friends RS6 MTM and when I heard it start up I went all tingly in the man vegetable region.

Is there any logic at all to what I am doing? No. Do I care? No.

Wish me luck :addict:

MaxRS6
August 30th, 2011, 20:02
Good luck coming back to the fold! We'll be glad to have you back.

speedtrapped
August 30th, 2011, 20:30
awesome! I know the feeling, my cl65 was nasty on the michellins....but it didnt feel like TT beast as our RS6's are. Sold mine after 4 months of ownership, and got crushed on resale. good luck and welcome back

ben916
August 30th, 2011, 21:51
Well, guess what. There is a 35k mile Avus Silver RS6 up for sale and I want it soooooo bad!!! The E63 is up for sale, I will no doubt take a bath on its sale, but I parked next to a friends RS6 MTM and when I heard it start up I went all tingly in the man vegetable region.

It's not a told ya so, it is WELCOME BACK!!!!
Logic?!?!? pffsssttt.....

DHall1
August 31st, 2011, 05:41
Give it some time. The E63 folks are starting to have the same gas tank issues as the E55 gang.

Boom, Boom, Benz is what I call em.

Good luck with your purchase.

G'day forum. About a year ago I very reluctantly left RS6-land and got a low mileage Merc E63 AMG. We had a jolly old time of it debating the merits in a thread around then. At the time, my 100,000 mile RS6 was beginning to be more trouble than it was worth, and in a small market like NZ, there were no low mileage RS6's on the horizon. The E63 was the best bet at that time.

Well, one year on, the E63 has been a great buy, reliable, bloody quick, entertaining in a childish tail-happy drifty way :lovl: and proved itself absolutely hilarious on a track day at the local race circuit, where it earned the nickname 'flying blancmange'. Not a whiff of fuel inside either :hey:

RS6NZ
June 16th, 2012, 00:27
FINALLY!!!! The E63 has sold (and I duly took a bath on it price-wise), and I've just taken a Mugello Blue sedan on euro 19's with bone leather and wood grain trim for a test drive. It's had 3 owners and done 55k miles, with full service history from one of the Audi main dealers.

It's as tight as a drum still, with no mods. Almost new Hankook Ventus V12 Evos (good tyres those, had them on the E63), front rotors and pads done only 6k miles ago, although it's due a cambelt service. Ride heights are right on the DHall1 magic numbers of 14 1/8" front, 14 1/2" rear, and when I VAG-COM'ed it, it threw no codes at all after a nice robust test drive. It doesn't appear to have had any DRC issues, but I'll check that when I quiz the service centre about any other work done on it.

Unfortunately the car is now too old for the Audi extended warranty program here in NZ, but I can get the Audi service centre to offer a third-party mechanical warranty that will cover first $5K of repairs.

The only issue looming is that the guy selling it (a long-haul international pilot, kind of appropriate car for him really!!) is selling it quite reluctantly and I'm going to have fun negotiating him off his asking price... Used car price comparisons across countries are a bit meaningless but for your interest, he's asking US$33k for it. Dealer wholesale prices are around US$26k. They sold new in NZ for US$180k!!

I'll keep you posted...

Benman
June 16th, 2012, 13:13
Welcome back and enjoy! :cheers:

Amulet-S6
June 16th, 2012, 19:13
Welcome back. your position is understandable. Thursday I took my rs into the dealership overnight for the gas tank rollover valve recall service. They gave me an (c6) A6 3.2 as a loaner for 24 hours. Side benefit, I'm in love with my RS6 all over again.

The A7 on the showroom floor did peak my interest. What a great looking car. According to our Audi dealer who was just at Audi headquarters in Germany; the S6/S7 will be here later this summer. The RS6/RS7, which he saw in person, will be here in 2 years. (Sadly no photo's to prove anything)

Jim

June 16th, 2012, 21:41
(a long-haul international pilot, kind of appropriate car for him really!!)

Wife says +1. Enjoy the ride...again!

RS6NZ
June 17th, 2012, 08:06
Welcome back. your position is understandable. Thursday I took my rs into the dealership overnight for the gas tank rollover valve recall service. They gave me an (c6) A6 3.2 as a loaner for 24 hours. Side benefit, I'm in love with my RS6 all over again.

The A7 on the showroom floor did peak my interest. What a great looking car. According to our Audi dealer who was just at Audi headquarters in Germany; the S6/S7 will be here later this summer. The RS6/RS7, which he saw in person, will be here in 2 years. (Sadly no photo's to prove anything)

Jim

Agree - I reckon the A7 is a good looking car. I've been racking my brains for ages trying to work out what car the styling of the A7 reminds me of (a bit). Then it struck me. Go and check out the rear 3/4 views of the old Aston Martin V8 of the 1970s. Very similar stances and outlines.