PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge

MaxRS6
August 27th, 2011, 03:26
While Crazy was on the operating table- I decided to implant a boost gauge for each turbo. Won't be everyone's cup of tea. However; it will be good to know if the boost starts dropping and I'll be able to see it real time. The ricers have nothing on me..00

<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aa3f0tclJj0" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME> (file://<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aa3f0tclJj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

hahnmgh63
August 27th, 2011, 04:41
Cool to watch although I would prefer something a little more discreet. Where are the gauges plumbed in at in order to actually read the Turbo's separately? After the air goes to the Turbo's & intercoolers both sides end up joining each other in the intake manifold so a little more or less performance from one Turbo or the other really doesn't matter?

Elevens
August 27th, 2011, 05:33
Yea Max, as Mark said I don't see how you could get Independent Boost pressure readings from each Turbo unless they are completely Isolated from each other. And as far as I know the outlet side of each compressor are tied into the Throttle body at the Intake. Which means the Boost pressure from one affects the Boost pressure from the other and that no Independent readings are possible as I see it. Any perceived differences on the Gauges are probably Variations due to tolerance. And definitely let us know where you Tapped into to monitor the boost pressure's..........

DHall1
August 27th, 2011, 06:00
Jammin to the tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ5TajZYW6Y

Beastly
August 27th, 2011, 06:49
wow, this will get old quick? sorry not a fan....enjoy

ThrillHouse
August 27th, 2011, 13:05
Given what you've been through I can see the need/desire for it. Certainly function over form. Glad you're running again!! All I could think of was this when I saw it though:

JSRS6
August 27th, 2011, 15:26
Given what you've been through I can see the need/desire for it. Certainly function over form. Glad you're running again!! All I could think of was this when I saw it though:

Haha, those are the "thing" at work right now. "Yo dawg"!

My favorite is this one:

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/yo-dawg-mac.jpg

Probably cause i have a mac...

MaxRS6
August 27th, 2011, 18:05
LOL- I tend to agree with you guys. Youse guys' comments remind me why I love this forum. Friends can be open and frank with each other. I may end up taking them back out. They tapped into the intercooler intakes for the pressure readings.

However; I've been considering putting an air/fuel gauge in place of one of the turbo gauges once everything is completely sorted out. However; the gauges are on the very low end of the spectrum as they worked out the boost issues.

Phew- that thing is an oven without a/c. The amount of heat blowing into the cabin in this Arkansas summer heat is blistering. Therefore; it is going back to the shop pronto and I'll be back in the uber coolness of the R32.

Edit:
During testing- a vette got stung by the big ol 4 door..;0 I was going around him and he decided to stomp on it. I don't know what kind of vette as I just saw his 4 exhaust pipes when he momentarily squirted in front- he then got to see my LED tails..00

marklar182
August 27th, 2011, 18:11
If you install a AFR gauge, make sure it is a WB02 Gauge setup (includes a WB02 sensor), not one of these useless AFR gauges.

MaxRS6
August 27th, 2011, 18:14
^- Thanks for the input

Elevens
August 27th, 2011, 18:28
LOL- I tend to agree with you guys. Youse guys' comments remind me why I love this forum. Friends can be open and frank with each other. I may end up taking them back out. They tapped into the intercooler intakes for the pressure readings.

However; I've been considering putting an air/fuel gauge in place of one of the turbo gauges once everything is completely sorted out. However; the gauges are on the very low end of the spectrum as they worked out the boost issues.

Phew- that thing is an oven without a/c. The amount of heat blowing into the cabin in this Arkansas summer heat is blistering. Therefore; it is going back to the shop pronto and I'll be back in the uber coolness of the R32.

Edit:
During testing- a vette got stung by the big ol 4 door..;0 I was going around him and he decided to stomp on it. I don't know what kind of vette as I just saw his 4 exhaust pipes when he momentarily squirted in front- he then got to see my LED tails..00

Constructive Criticism is what I would call it Max. I've learned a lot from this and other RS forums. But I must say we have some of the best Minds here. And whatever I can contribute (which isn't much compared to others) I wholeheartedly do so.

hahnmgh63
August 27th, 2011, 21:04
I'm wondering if I should also tap into the intake plenum while I've got it off so I'll have access for a boost gauge when I get everthing back together.

SteveKen
August 27th, 2011, 21:29
If you install a AFR gauge, make sure it is a WB02 Gauge setup (includes a WB02 sensor), not one of these useless AFR gauges.

What WB02 sensor would be used and I'm guessing that you just look at one of the primaries? I think the driver's side one is easier to remove so that would probably be the one to replace.

mdegracia
August 28th, 2011, 00:41
There are alot of wideband choices out there now that are nice and inconspicuous. I run an innovate lm-2 handheld in my gt30 viggen. Plugs directly into the obd2 for engine vitals and a separate line for the wb sensor. Able to datalog and the works.

They have a new iphone setup that looks pretty slick too.

Just my 2 cents...

marklar182
August 28th, 2011, 05:00
Innovate and AEM are great units. You will need to install a bung in the one of the downpipes (or both if you choose).

I use Zeitronix in my Z32 300ZX. It uses an off the shelf Bosch sensor that is widely available as it is used in many VAG cars.

DHall1
August 28th, 2011, 05:07
INNOVATE WIDE BAND or wear nothing.

I have so many innovate products and complete gauge setups that I have extras still sitting around in the box.

speedtrapped
August 28th, 2011, 16:52
Question mr. Hall, sorry for thread jack Randy....I bought an innovate WB a while ago, and have bunts welded in. My confusion, was wiring it up. I read directions but was a little confused. I want to install gauge, bit what about the port for the computer. Run it thru firewall? Does mr hall have a DIY link per chance?

V8weight
August 28th, 2011, 18:03
I like it Randy....It's kind of like the Prius hybrid drive display....you can watch your fuel economy disappear.

Brav
August 28th, 2011, 21:15
I was going to do soemthing like this at some point, you should really check out the PLX multi-gauges! can plug into OBD and read several parameters at once.

http://www.plxdevices.com/multigauges.html

DHall1
August 28th, 2011, 21:58
You mean a bung?

Where is the bung mounted? pics

Bung should not be mounted between 4 and 8 o'clock on the pipe.

Which WB unit did you purchase?

There are several models that can run a nice gauge or thru the laptop for datalogging. Need to know what you have

Oh yeah dude, that was one sweet bung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP34DIJzTIE&feature=related

Question mr. Hall, sorry for thread jack Randy....I bought an innovate WB a while ago, and have bunts welded in. My confusion, was wiring it up. I read directions but was a little confused. I want to install gauge, bit what about the port for the computer. Run it thru firewall? Does mr hall have a DIY link per chance?

skribe
August 29th, 2011, 15:01
I was going to do soemthing like this at some point, you should really check out the PLX multi-gauges! can plug into OBD and read several parameters at once.

http://www.plxdevices.com/multigauges.html

I have one... it's pretty damn cool. Photoshopped 150 frames of a custom boost gauge face to match the factory gauge design. Had to install a boost sender though, as VAG cars don't give boost through OBD :( just T-ed off the FPR under the AF assembly.

Definitely handy to have a boost gauge in these cars. Pat hates boost gauges, but Pat has turned on us and now drives a Cobalt SS with a DTM wing.

speedtrapped
August 29th, 2011, 15:10
i'm in your class.....bungs are welded downstream just before the hi-flow cats....the innovate is a LC-1, that came with a gauge. I had nothing but time yesterday, so I went for it. I mounted the sensor, but really was in a quandry on routing wiring, to damn tight. I ended up, locating the plug/sensor to the fuel lines, routed wires tightly against the passenger side wheel well(out of the way of linkage, etc) and drill small hole 4 " away from the suspension bolt are. grounded, key on wired 12v source. I have to set up gauge tonight. I calibrated the o2 sensor(at least I think..but did not run, calibrate switch and led light, plan too tonight as well. So i will have AFR gauge, and 2 plugs inside the ECU area for datalogging....nice system. Sounds right?

DHall1
August 29th, 2011, 15:28
Yes, sounds perfect. The LC1 with the digital gauge is the ideal setup for this application. If I were to put any gauges in my car it would be a boost and the LC1. I have a brand new LC1 kit with gauge just sitting in the garage.

Hmmmm

Post up a pic of the bung location. The reason why you dont want 4 to 8 o'clock is the moisture can end up sitting in the sensor.

i'm in your class.....bungs are welded downstream just before the hi-flow cats....the innovate is a LC-1, that came with a gauge. I had nothing but time yesterday, so I went for it. I mounted the sensor, but really was in a quandry on routing wiring, to damn tight. I ended up, locating the plug/sensor to the fuel lines, routed wires tightly against the passenger side wheel well(out of the way of linkage, etc) and drill small hole 4 " away from the suspension bolt are. grounded, key on wired 12v source. I have to set up gauge tonight. I calibrated the o2 sensor(at least I think..but did not run, calibrate switch and led light, plan too tonight as well. So i will have AFR gauge, and 2 plugs inside the ECU area for datalogging....nice system. Sounds right?

MaxRS6
August 29th, 2011, 16:15
Now you tell me-lol

speedtrapped
August 29th, 2011, 16:50
I will, the gauge sits 3 oclock. I will post some pics tonight

Brav
August 29th, 2011, 19:19
I have one... it's pretty damn cool. Photoshopped 150 frames of a custom boost gauge face to match the factory gauge design. Had to install a boost sender though, as VAG cars don't give boost through OBD :( just T-ed off the FPR under the AF assembly.

Definitely handy to have a boost gauge in these cars. Pat hates boost gauges, but Pat has turned on us and now drives a Cobalt SS with a DTM wing.

Post some pics! Did you link up the sender to the PLX gauge?

JSRS6
August 29th, 2011, 20:57
You mean the bung sits at 3?

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 21:00
13 analog and two digital multigauges in my Skyline. It's ok there; it's the Holy Grail of Rice Rockets. Don't see that happening to my RS6 however.

I do want to see boost however; I usually like to see AFR, but since I haven't done the tune, I'll just put 100% faith in Eurocharged and not worry about the AFR or EGTs.

After thinking quite a bit, I think I'll go with a single 50mm Stack boost gauge mounted next to the base of the A-pillar. But poo on Audi for not integrating a boost gauge into the main cluster!

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 21:01
You mean the bung sits at 3?

you want the bung sitting at either 10 or 2 :P

I like Innovate, but for some reason their interfaces and I just don't get along...

MaxRS6
August 30th, 2011, 01:56
I like it Randy....It's kind of like the Prius hybrid drive display....you can watch your fuel economy disappear.

I can almost feel the $$$ being sucked out of the wallet....whoooooshhhh

Not as bad as the big boys as I was in today- Rice Harvest Season helps feed the Beast!

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Dunklin%20Farm/2011-08-29_14-03-17_567.jpg?t=1314665627
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Dunklin%20Farm/2011-08-29_14-03-03_983.jpg?t=1314665718
http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Dunklin%20Farm/PIC_0983.jpg?t=1314665905

I think I just threadjacked my own thread...;0

speedtrapped
August 30th, 2011, 04:31
Try welding a 10-2 position with fat DBR 3" DP just before hi flow cats, not a shot getting a o2 wedged in there, 3 o'clock should suffice. Unfortunately my power still out from storm, so finished product not complete, ie gauge set up.

speedtrapped
August 30th, 2011, 04:32
Man Randy how tall are u?...just kiddin, nice rig

kismetcapitan
August 30th, 2011, 08:00
true, if space is a problem then going in sideways is as good as you can do regarding avoiding condensation.

MaxRS6
August 30th, 2011, 12:32
Man Randy how tall are u?...just kiddin, nice rig

I was out there for moral support (and financial controls over the process) as it is my client's rig/farm. One of my roles is the CFO of a farming corporation and I was out there to get my hands "dirty" with the operational personnel- and to inspire motivation..;)

LOL- I'm a scrapping 6' with my 4" heels on..00. Bring on the short jokes as am able to laff about my shortcomings with the best of em. However; I'm always prone to throw a rock through your windshield...

<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q_7MGtYOQWA" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME> (file://<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q_7MGtYOQWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)