PDA

View Full Version : recommended harness for 3.5" aux input?

kismetcapitan
August 26th, 2011, 10:48
I'm browsing eBay and while there are plenty of harnesses, they all say "not compatible with factory satellite radio"...and I think with few exceptions, our cars all have the same radio - sat radio and in-dash CD changer, meaning no CD changer input.

While ideally I'd like to connect my iPhone with a 32-pin connector, I'd rather go in with a basic 3.5" jack, as I just got a cable that allows hands-free phone conversations - a limit of the 32-pin connector approach.

I don't use sat radio; is that a potential input source with the right harness? Cassette adaptors are so ghetto, yet that's what I'm reduced to, and I don't want to rip out the stock stereo...I'm actually fairly satisfied with the factory Bose system, enough so that I've shelved my plans to do a high-end stereo as I usually do on my cars. Time will tell if I decide to really go into the stereo, but I honestly can't be bothered right now to rip out very good speakers, even if they're a notch below the MB Quarts that I usually use (biamped separates, 50-100 watts per speaker). The sub isn't as strong as what I also usually go with, but then, doing my typical pair of 10" subs and a dedicated amp will take up trunk space, and if anything, I want to gain MORE space by relocating the battery.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

ThrillHouse
August 26th, 2011, 12:49
I just put an AUX in not too long ago, I settled on a BlitzSafe plug and play with the stock radio:
BlitzSafe AUDI/AUX DMX V.1B
http://enfigcarstereo.com/audi_ipod.html

(enfig is good but it did take 2 weeks or so to get it)
There are a few other options, I originally wanted the USB so I can simply tuck it away and never worry about it (R&R it to get new files on it occasionally) while having an AUX option. Its a really slick system but more expensive and was going to take a while to get (they are made in EU and aren't generally stocked).

I also settled on simply the AUX because I dont have an iphone. Palm/HP Pre and Android here! I setup an Ampache server at home and can stream over the cellular network if I want.

kismetcapitan
August 28th, 2011, 06:44
thanks for the link; I didn't realize it was so straightforward and easy to install an aux input! True, $150 may be a bit steep for a harness, but keeping a perfectly decent stereo that's integrated into the dash and overall car's electronics is worthwhile.

ThrillHouse
August 28th, 2011, 15:20
thanks for the link; I didn't realize it was so straightforward and easy to install an aux input! True, $150 may be a bit steep for a harness, but keeping a perfectly decent stereo that's integrated into the dash and overall car's electronics is worthwhile.

I agree- I settled on just the aux but their other options are really nice/complete. Literal plug and play and working with stock radio. Check out the YouTube vids of how the USB and iPod/iPhone look in the center display.

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 19:48
I just found Scosche makes a unit that does both iPhone and aux input; this would be ideal because I could take hands-free calls with the aux input as I got a mic/audio output combined cable.

Why Apple has made car-based hands-free so difficult to implement is beyond me, but then again, I also don't get how they left out Flash either on Safari. Oh well.

kismetcapitan
September 5th, 2011, 21:21
I ended up getting a Dension setup; took Enfig two days to get it to my doorstep!!

kismetcapitan
September 7th, 2011, 07:31
ok, the installation took about five minutes. Figuring out how to control an iPod through the stock radio controls, that took hours :(

ThrillHouse
September 7th, 2011, 12:23
Yea, the install is quick enough! I was looking at the control via the stock radio before and yea, it didn't look all that intuitive

bakes
September 7th, 2011, 13:23
I ended up getting a Dension setup; took Enfig two days to get it to my doorstep!!

What Dension unit/model did you end up picking?

kismetcapitan
September 8th, 2011, 00:06
GW100? has iPod and 3.5" aux input. I had to get a booster harness so that it can charge my iPhone 4. It's small, and tucks in very nicely behind the radio.