PDA

View Full Version : how do you drive an automatic? and other new owner thoughts

kismetcapitan
August 20th, 2011, 07:01
My RS6 is my first automatic car I've owned in 23 years of driving. To be honest, I am fairly confused as to how to get the most out of the transmission. My car does have the MTM TCU reflash, but I'm finding that many of my paddle shifts cause rather jerky shifts. I obviously have to really approach shifting differently, but any tips or thoughts? For example:

- downshifting to engine brake...I'm guessing this is nearly impossible?
- drag launching the car...just pound the throttle to the floor? I'd think you'd hold the brake and feed some gas to get engine speed up and spool the turbos, but I don't want to abuse or prematurely break my transmission!
- I've encountered some jerky shifting while accelerating at full throttle with the paddles (but not when in D or S)...is there a specific rpm shift point for a smooth shift?

Other thoughts after living with the car a few days:
- it's really too bad we didn't get the Recaro front seats; the US version is too wide between the side bolsters...did the Germans just assume we are all ridiculously obese? Having driven the Euro-spec RS6, the Recaros are excellent.
- Where on earth is the battery on Euro-spec cars? I'd like to move mine out of the trunk, but cannot for the life of me see where else to put such a large battery.
- Is it just me, or does the rear suspension sit too high? I think I recall reading here that was a result of the DRC recall; is there any way short of using lowering springs to get the rear down? I had originally planned to install lowering springs, but I like how the car sits as it is, at least up front.
- Otherwise, I'm utterly pleased with the car, its power and general lack of turbo lag (has Eurocharged ECU), and its function - even as a sedan, it swallowed with ease more stuff than I thought possible - two shopping carts full of new house essentials from Walmart with room to spare.
- Have yet to test the car on a track, but I'm surprised at how fast I can throw the car into corners without losing the front. It really doesn't feel like a two-ton car, and I think only a track (or some very illegal driving on the street) will bring out any oversteer.

MaxRS6
August 20th, 2011, 13:02
I'll give you my less than .03 worth...

Downshifting to brake- I use the monster brakes generally. I do utilize downshifting to slow down at times without the brake- But I really enjoy throwing the passenger's eyeballs through the windhshield...00

Drag launching- Unless you want to replace the transmission- Don't do it. However; smashing the pedal to floor is not the best method. There is a sweet spot to make the car launch- It is almost a feather type approach, the turbos come on, and then roll into the throttle. If you do want to drag launch- you might want to search the forum for the famous duck foot rat approach methodology. The car can certainly launch by building up the revs/turbo spool with the brake being applied. Every once in a while- I just have to do it..;)

Jerky shifting- It certainly happens. However; i am generally just hitting the paddle (holding the gas pedal same position) and it flips to the next gear. I've found if you drop the RPM's on it (letting off gas) between shifts and then pound back down on the throttle can cause it to jerk violently. The main time I have some "jerkiness" is when the car has been in the shop/battery disconnected for a while. I say keep experimenting with the paddle shifts and pedal positions. The MTM TCU certainly makes it shift more crisp (thus saving the clutch life).

Agreed on the Recardo seats!!!! We all have beat this horse.

The battery for Euro cars was placed in the spare wheel well. There have been some U.S. owners that have moved their battery to the wheel well.

The DRC recall or repairs could result in a high rear if not done properly. With the proper technique- the rear can be set properly. There are some posts on the forum about setting it properly. However; the DRC isn't worth effort- go to coilovers and purge your car of the oil demon when the opportunity arrives. However; I have given up some ride quality with the KW (set on relatively firm) and Hotchkiss sway bars for improved handling. Not having to clean up or deal with another oil spill- Priceless.

Bringing out oversteer in this car is a trick. It has a great tendency to understeer with the heavy nose. However; for what it is- the RS6 can go around the bendies/twisties relatively well with the proper technique. Late apexing is your friend. My advice- find a track event/experiment/ and have a blast ripping it around. It is too much fun blasting past the unsuspecting and having other drivers inquire afterwards- "What's in that thing???...;0

Enjoy learning the car!

kismetcapitan
August 20th, 2011, 21:23
Thanks for the very detailed response! I think I may unconsciously be letting off the throttle when shifting (habit from shifting manuals). I'll search for the techniques on setting the rear suspension correctly; I do like a *very* hard suspension, so coilovers and sway bars are certainly in the cards, but again, I'll do it when the day comes and I find the DRC has started bleeding itself to death.

I did some research and now it makes sense re: the battery. No spare tire on Euro-spec cars, just a can of fix-a-flat, next to the battery. Without run-flats, I'll have to make that decision...and check how comprehensive my roadside assistance is with my insurance policy!!

Brav
August 20th, 2011, 21:44
this is not the car to drag launch.. ! I sometimes use the lower gear to engine brake but not much.. better to burn up brake pads than over stress the cranky trans.

BTW I agree with the seats 100%!

Hy Octane
August 20th, 2011, 22:23
Agree. I dont use engine braking via the tranny to reduce wear on it. Brakes far cheaper to replace..
I like to drive in tip mode mostly and have no TCU flash. Just stock. I have figured out the timing of being able to hit the shift paddles followed by a blip of the throttle which mimics a double de-clutch and allows the gears to downshift with no jolt.. Just smooth rev matched shifts. Works great.

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 20:17
I'm getting used to it - driving it as an automatic slushbox instead of expecting it to do what a manual can.

Can someone explain what this duck rat foot (???) launch technique is? I've realized one benefit of automatics - you can build boost by holding the brake and the raising the revs on the engine. I *think* I may have read somewhere that this is something that drag enthusiasts like, but having completely ignored automatic transmissions for my entire motoring life, I don't know what "stall speeds" or whatnot are...or what a safe rpm and throttle percentage is when holding the brake to build the engine up for a fast launch!

mmaturo
August 30th, 2011, 05:36
Problem is launching without kicking in traction control with wheel spin. My best stop light runs were to just drop in S hold revs up then roll off brake and into the throttle...smoothly...not straight to floor or the traction control fighting for grip bogs the car down. Letting the car roll then jumping into throttle was key to taking nearly anything next to me...too much rev though equals too much wheel spin. Did not experiment with traction control off but assume i would just be spinning wheels. I skipped the paddles 98% of my cars life...only on mountain runs and occasional downshift on the track for turns i knew the car had problems with coming out of. Honestly it responded how i expected with proper gas pedal inputs to tell it what i want. It also learns what you want...if i'm driving aggressive it holds gears longer.

MaxRS6
August 30th, 2011, 12:02
...Can someone explain what this duck rat foot (???) launch technique is? I've realized one benefit of automatics - you can build boost by holding the brake and the raising the revs on the engine....

Post #25 in the below thread eloquently explained by our very own Pat...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21810-How-fast-are-these-RS6-s/page2?highlight=duck

ben916
August 30th, 2011, 17:58
Post #25 in the below thread eloquently explained by our very own Pat...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21810-How-fast-are-these-RS6-s/page2?highlight=duck

LMAO! I totally forgot about that post!!! "passengers soiling themselves"