PDA

View Full Version : Update- Crazy is rolling on the streets agin...

MaxRS6
August 20th, 2011, 04:11
The second replacement passenger side turbo for the new turbo went in- two new exhaust manifolds- EGT sensors- O2 Sensors- Passenger side valve gasket, multiple hoses and gaskets. They put him back together. Test drove and it had overboost issue. The actual boost was going over the specified by about 2-3 psi and shutting down. The tech was about to torch it with my assistance- then it was determined the new driver side turbo waste gate tension was not correct. With some adjustments- the boost issue seems resolved.

I've only driven it for a few miles- so far so good. I hope to make it through the weekend without issue. Any takers???

DHall1
August 20th, 2011, 06:09
Clear the roads...crazy is on the loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75W9vkTm-8&playnext=1&list=PL3631C67618D8A398

speedtrapped
August 20th, 2011, 13:01
Awesome news Randy, congrats on having beast back.

Chung
August 20th, 2011, 17:20
Sweet. I am sure your daughter is happy to get her car back as well.

I am going to place my bet with one year of no unplanned maintenance. I like to be positive

4everRS
August 21st, 2011, 19:04
Great news. I'll be knocking on wood while crossing my fingers in hopes it is cured for good.

ben916
August 21st, 2011, 23:21
YEAH!!!! I bet it has an extra 25hp with those fresh exhaust manifolds...

MaxRS6
August 22nd, 2011, 12:34
Downdate- :(

Overboost not resolved. Rolling down the interstate doing about 60- put the hammer down- the car takes off and then ooooffffff. The car overboosts and goes into limp mode. It will request around 1600 mbar and the actual goes up to around 1900 mbar running stock mode. ECU shuts it down. It has been delivered back to the shop.

JSRS6
August 22nd, 2011, 13:12
Jesus Randy. This is ridiculous.

JSRS6
August 22nd, 2011, 13:15
Make sure you log block 88 for flux capacitor and you are making at least 1.21 gigawatts when you try to make the jump to warp. :hihi:

MaxRS6
August 22nd, 2011, 18:08
^- Thanks for the laff Josh as I needed one this morning.

I just spoke with the shop owner. They are pulling the engine (4th time). They believe the passenger side turbo waste gate needs adjustment. Therefore; to reach it- they must pull the engine again. The passenger waste gate is requiring over 8 psi to open, while the driver side waste gate is around the 4 psi range. They believe this discrepancy is causing the overboost issue as they are not in sync. APR told the shop it should be around the 4 psi mark to open the waste gates. Therefore; they are yanking the engine to access the passenger side turbo. Max Tip- if and when you all need turbos replaced- test/sync the waste gate pressures to the proper specs before putting the engine back into its' home. Sounds simple enough in hind sight..00

By the way- another user on another forum stated he heard of another RS6 exhaust manifold failure (my original issue for this repair journey) going south. Therefore; if/when you have the engine out- I recommend a thorough manifold inspection, and consideration be given to options as these things age. Quite a costly repair as the manifold metal rips out a turbo- thus requiring an engine pull, both turbos to be replaced, etc, etc...Less than .03 worth.

JSRS6
August 22nd, 2011, 18:12
Sounds like common sense isn't a prerequisite course at uti...

MaxRS6
August 24th, 2011, 01:25
Practice..Practice..The tech pulled the engine out in about 6 hours this time. I guess doing it 4 times in a few weeks does sharpen the skillset..;0

MaxRS6
August 27th, 2011, 01:28
Update- Heeeees back....

Just picked it up from the indy shop from the 4th engine pull and the adjustment of the waste gates. I haven't driven it a lot. However; this time- the boost performed great and it takes off like a rocket agin. The boost pressure was spot on (boost gauges installed) and I am cautiously optimistic. I'll be taking it for further testing this evening..:). I'll have to do a couple of "scouting missions" on my favorite 4 lane to make sure all is clear- then put the beans to it- For testing purposes only of course. ;0

However; it will be a hot ride. I just had the compressor replaced at the Audi stealership before taking it to the Indy shop. The car has been under repair since that time. However; the f*cking compressor is leaking like the treasury's printing press. Oh well- at least this repair will be on Audi. However; how does a brand new compressor leak so badly? Literally- the car had not been driven except for the test drives since it was installed. It must have been put together by the same intercooler welding idjuits. Therefore; boost performance testing will take place under the cool moonlight after taking my better half to dinner at a local haunt. I'll have to pass on the spirits though in anticipation of the speed runs..00

Elevens
August 27th, 2011, 02:20
Glad you got it straightened out Max. I tell you after the Turbo's were rebuilt on my car, the throttle response seemed to be a lot better. Boost definitely builds up faster, probably due to a tightened up waste-gate and new Internals. And this all results in the car feeling much faster off the Line. Remember If you are doing test Runs, be careful these things are Insanely fast.............................

kismetcapitan
August 28th, 2011, 06:57
wastegate adjustment is part and parcel of a turbo installation, but it is easily overlooked; it was overlooked one one of my Skyline engine rebuilds. Fortunately for that car, the wastegates can be accessed after removing two pipes; about five minutes with a 10mm wrench. The RS6 engine bay is so densely packed that it does spook me, and another car I love, the 90's Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, a car I had new in 1990 and was thinking about getting again...same problem. If you want to do ANYTHING, you have to pull the engine.

Perhaps the compressor might have been damaged during the engine reinstallation? It's not always easy to gingerly reinsert a heavy V8 block with lots of ancillaries into a very tight spot!

MaxRS6
October 29th, 2011, 14:28
Update of the update of the update of the update....Engine Pull #5 Began- Yep- you heard it right folks.

The car did run very well when doing relatively normal acceleration or "feathering" the throttle up to redline. By monitoring the boost guauge- I could modulate the boost to keep it around the 16-19 psi range. However; any time WOT- the boost would shoot up to around the 23-24 psi range-about 4 psi more than ECU was requesting. Therefore; the ECU throws it in limp mode, shuts down the throttle valve, and crazy is a snail.

After hours/days of research/work (new N75 valve, multiple drive logs with Vag-Com, new silicone hoses down to the waste gates, APR review of logs, etc, etc, etc by the shop owner )- the tech/shop owner has decided the newly installed turbos are the issue with the car overboosting. A brand spankin new pair of OEM turbos with waste gates pre set arrived at the shop yesterday, and the engine pull began- again. It should be back together Monday or Tuesday, and we'll see if this repair odyssey finally hits its' destination.

speedtrapped
October 29th, 2011, 16:07
God speed Randy !!!

as350
October 29th, 2011, 17:34
5 engine pulls!!!!! You must be a very patient man. For your sanity's sake, I hope this will be last removal in a long time. On the bright side of things, your shop must be able to remove/install the engine in record time - after all they now have lots of practice.

Jimmy Joe
October 29th, 2011, 20:42
Randy, I sincerly hope your turbo problems are over soon. You had been very patient and I hope to hear about you and the beast on the track soon.
I really don't know about this, but somewhere I read that the turbos should be replaced in pairs, ¿ Could this be part of your problem?
Good luck on your 5th. engine pull.

4everRS
October 30th, 2011, 00:16
Keep us posted on the results. Do the current turbos go back? Or do keep them in your inventory?

MaxRS6
October 30th, 2011, 00:49
^- The turbos being removed go back.

We don't know for certain the turbos are the root cause. However; it didn't do it b4..turbos replaced...over boost develops. Variety of items checked as they were certainly motivated to find another cause (i.e. not having to yank the injun agin). This long pass is up in the air towards the end zone headed for points, or.{insert pun}...<INSERT pun own>...

MaxRS6
November 2nd, 2011, 03:06
Jeeeezzzzzz- The tech says the wastegate bearing was moving around and blocking it from opening. Just received the below pic.

They think they will have the new turbos installed tomorrow afternoon. Tick tick tick

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/RS6%20Turbo/TurboBushing.jpg?t=1320203146

MaxRS6
November 2nd, 2011, 11:23
Vid of issue...

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7mzBEYqkWVg" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME> (file://<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7mzBEYqkWVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

speedtrapped
November 2nd, 2011, 12:07
its nice to find the problem!!! Randy is that turbo an original? Sorry I missed something, it looks older then the one on the right.

MaxRS6
November 2nd, 2011, 12:28
^The one on the right is the new one that is going in. The one on the left is the turbo that had recently been installed, had rolled about 500 miles with over boost issue, and had the wastegate bushing issue that the tech believes was causing the over boost.

They are actually replacing both turbos as part of this repair. They received both the new turbos directly from Borg Warner with the waste gates set. I hope to know by later today if this issue is out of da in box.

JSRS6
November 2nd, 2011, 12:30
OK, but its still a pair being replaced, yeah?

MaxRS6
November 2nd, 2011, 12:40
Yes- the pair is being replaced.

The picture just shows one of the prior turbos and the replacement. However; a new turbo is also going in on the other side even though it too only has about 500 miles on it.

MaxRS6
November 4th, 2011, 03:40
I'll be picking it up in the morning. The tech says the boost levels are back to "normal" after the latest transplant. No more over boosts or limp modes during their test drives. I'll have to find some goold ol roads to test on this weekend- for research purposes only of course..00

Jimmy Joe
November 4th, 2011, 05:19
Good luck Max, I hope your problem is solved.

MaxRS6
November 4th, 2011, 17:20
^I think I have found a good road to test on for the weekend..Updates to follow... Hail Mary Pass is in the Air 00

ben916
November 4th, 2011, 19:29
allegedly you "could" Go Pro it... allegedly...

lswing
November 4th, 2011, 21:43
Best wishes getting back up and running strong! It's rough seeing you have to go through this much. I was without my car 3 days this week, I survived though:)

4everRS
November 6th, 2011, 00:19
results.....? Can't wait to hear how crazy is doing.

MaxRS6
November 7th, 2011, 13:27
results.....? Can't wait to hear how crazy is doing.

Picked up the car Friday morning from the shop. We directly packed it up and headed to Alabama..Barber Motorsport Park for the weekend to be exact..:). The tech said it was ready and we rolled the dice. To say the least- it was a leap of faith. The car ran well and did not go into limp mode. Thus the boost issue seems resolved.

allegedly you "could" Go Pro it... allegedly...

You nailed it! I have some video evidence to share once I compile it!

Amulet-S6
November 7th, 2011, 18:38
Randy,

So sorry to hear of your issues. You are indeed a patient man. Luckily, you've also got a very understanding wife. Best of luck with
round 5.

Jim

lswing
November 7th, 2011, 18:46
Great, looking forward to some video!

Brav
November 7th, 2011, 20:07
glad to hear you finally got it sorted, or so it seems!

MaxRS6
November 7th, 2011, 23:32
^ Thanks everyone for the comments and input. Track adventure updated posted:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23496-Rezoom-at-Barber-Motorsport-Park?p=224345#post224345

MaxRS6
November 20th, 2011, 16:56
I pulled this log yesterday, and it is good to see relatively normal numbers again.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/RS6%20Turbo/AfterOEMTurboInstall.jpg

JSRS6
November 20th, 2011, 17:43
Graph your req. and act. boost, it will look like 2 180 degree out sine waves...under boost, over boost, under boost, over boost. doesn't seem right...

4everRS
November 20th, 2011, 19:58
looks like a 2nd gear pull? If so those numbers do that as Josh said. 3rd gear to be sure.

JSRS6
November 20th, 2011, 20:43
Damn ecu trying to save our tc's. :hihi:

MaxRS6
November 20th, 2011, 21:20
Yes- it is second and third gear data log- APR 93 mode.

QuattroRS
November 21st, 2011, 02:05
data points are random and it looks like the log was taken in standard mode. Take some logs in turbo mode and get a better picture

Brav
November 21st, 2011, 18:24
Yea, turbo would be better.. also, whenever you are overboosting more than requested, your throttle valve is not staying WOT.. drops quite a bit. Just an observation. Mine does this as well, but not sure if its the same correlation.