PDA

View Full Version : possible modifications to improve steering feel?

kismetcapitan
August 19th, 2011, 07:51
while I've found the RS6 to exceed my expectations in handling, the one thing I can find to be a sticking point is steering feedback. It is heavily dampened, no surprise of course.

I don't expect this car to be a go-kart, but I'm musing about possibly increasing steering feel, as I can't feel my way around when throwing the car hard into corners. I've been driving a car for the past five years with all steering column dampers removed and replaced with aluminum bushings for absolutely direct steering, so what I'm used to is probably a lot more than most would find acceptable.

I do have the Audi service CD but don't own a Windows machine, so haven't been able to browse the steering rack schematic. If there are simple flexible bushings in the column, I'd definitely consider having aluminum replacements fabricated. But if it's something to do with the power steering mechanism, I guess it's hopeless?

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 20:18
am I the only person to ever think of trying to "un-numb" the steering feel of this car? The steering is certainly as precise as I'll ever want it to be; I just like *feeling* the road like Braille, not just seeing the car go where I want it to. It's just more comforting?

V8weight
August 29th, 2011, 23:11
KW V3's, sway bars, forged wheels and a proper alignment....

pohsib
August 29th, 2011, 23:23
Pull the Servotronic relay? 605 I think...

MaxRS6
August 30th, 2011, 00:21
KW V3's, sway bars, forged wheels and a proper alignment....

+1- This is my setup and the car morphed with the above changes. The KW's settle the "bouncy" feeling of the DRC, and the sway bars made a tremendous difference in the curves by alleviating the "roll". The car maintains a very level stance going through the twisties at speed. Personally, the improved feel made me much more confident pushing the heaving pig through the twisties. I've had several instructors come up to me that had followed me through some curves commenting on how "level" the car remained on the track at relatively high speeds. However; I certainly gave up some comfort as I have the KW's set pretty firm, and I have the sway bars set on the stiffer setting. The KW's are adjustable. However; I love the "firm" feel even though many find it too harsh. However; it is my car and I get to make the rules on it. ;0

hahnmgh63
August 30th, 2011, 01:09
+2 on the KW's, Hotchkis, Forged wheels (make a bigger difference than you would think, Good alignment. Also when doing the KW's replace the upper strut bushing front & rear which Audi did not do while performing the DRC recalls.
If you want more than that I have 034 motorsports Spherical bushings mounted in a set of Bilstein Febi lower control arms that I will sell you for a fraction of the price that 034 wants for just the bushings ($600). They make a noticeable improvement in the steering but clunk occaisonally like a set of worn control arms.

Aronis
August 30th, 2011, 01:47
I second replacing all the mounts with the KWs. Mine had the DRC fixed three times and they kept reusing the same old parts!

I must admit I set the KWs at the recommened setting but with I set it a click or two firmer. (a pain in the A** to change after the fact) and I'm still holding on buying the sway bars, that was a plan for the summer but I have been spending my free time putting in my own in ground pool. I am pouring the concrete deck in two weeks (Have to have help with that part, too much for one man), but the rest was 100% a one man show (accept dropping in the liner (needed two sets of hands for that part)).

Anyway, after my front axle seals are changed, I'll swap out the sway bars.

Mike

lswing
December 31st, 2011, 18:35
KW-V3 question for you owners. What's your impression of the softest compression setting? I'd like to pull my DRC because it's too harsh on the small stuff and too bouncy on big. My only worry is that I'll put the kwv3's on and find them too harsh? I'm hoping not since my DRC is really chattery and rigid over small bumps and potholes. Thanks! I would also argue that my DRC is over pressurized after the rebuild making it ride rougher.

lswing
December 31st, 2011, 19:48
Pricing options? These are both good, others that you support?

http://www.gripmotorsports.com/pi~pn~kw_coilovers_v3_variant_3-20932.html

http://thmotorsports.com/kw_suspension/kw_variant_3_coilovers/35210053/i-220643.aspx

Brav
December 31st, 2011, 20:46
KW-V3 question for you owners. What's your impression of the softest compression setting? I'd like to pull my DRC because it's too harsh on the small stuff and too bouncy on big. My only worry is that I'll put the kwv3's on and find them too harsh? I'm hoping not since my DRC is really chattery and rigid over small bumps and potholes. Thanks! I also argue that my DRC is over pressurized after the rebuild making it ride rougher.

try to lower the compression setting and increase the rebound. Should make it softer and less float.

Also try supernovae.com for the kw. V3s. I got a great price.

4everRS
December 31st, 2011, 21:11
Brav, that site has to be wrong

Brav
December 31st, 2011, 22:03
Effing autocorrect!!! Www.supremepower.com

JSRS6
December 31st, 2011, 22:52
Okay, where did you phone get supernovae from supreme power?

kismetcapitan
January 2nd, 2012, 08:49
Having driven my Skyline again for the past two weeks, I retract my opinion regarding the steering. Well, partially. The power assist on the Skyline actually gives a slightly lighter feel than the RS6, and I like firmer steering effort. There is the isolation of the steering wheel from the road, which most people consider to be a good thing; I just like feeling the road like a lind man reading Braille.

Still need to get my H&R springs installed, and am still sticking with the DRC/Hotchkis combo...for now.

MaxRS6
January 7th, 2012, 00:52
I don't know if this applies but ran across it while killin time...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/159779-Check-Out-my-New-Servotronic-Mod-(PowerAssist-Disable-Mod)...