PDA

View Full Version : tranny bearing housing for sale

johnnie27
August 17th, 2011, 06:51
Boys thought thsi was funny its on Ebay..well not funny for the owner i guess , but he/she seems to have a sence of humour..:applause:

reads

This is a bearing housing from my former Audi RS6. Own a piece of history! Only Audi could make such small and simple part that is so valuable!

The transmission on my $80,000 Audi RS6 went bad and I took it to a very well qualified transmission shop. They broke down the transmission and isolated the failure of this part as the problem. So, the estimate was that it would cost me around $3,000 to rebuild the transmission with the required replacment parts. This is a part that is sitting on a shelf in Germany and it is available if Audi would be willing to sell it.

Sorry- Audi doesn't want to supply a part for a couple hundred dollars, they want to sell you a new transmission for several thousand! I took this up with Audi HQ in the USA and spoke to a high-level exec that I was steered to when I called the "very special" restricted 800 number for customers that bought $80,000 Audis. He said that Audi felt I would have "a better customer experience" if I bought a new transmission and paid over $7000 to get my car back on the road rather than if I spent a couple hundred on parts and spent $3000 to get my car back on the road. That was the exact quote of what he told me: "a better customer experience". I appealed in writing to Audi USA HQ and also to Audi Worldwide HQ in Germany. The result- Audi will only sell complete transmissions. Needless to say I will never buy another Audi.

So, given all this the apparent value of this part is about $4000. Happy bidding!

Free Shipping in the USA!

4everRS
August 17th, 2011, 12:56
This is pretty funny. He has been reporting this for over a year now. I remember seeing the same listing last summer. I think he may have even joined the forum, but hasn't posted in a long time.

SteveKen
August 17th, 2011, 13:39
The truth of the matter is that if you walk into a bearing supply house with that bearing, I'm 80% certain that they can source the bearing directly from the OEM. I'm pretty sure that Audi or ZF doesn't have any exclusive rights to any bearings. If you can read the etched part number(s) on the face, then INA, SKF, FAG, etc. has one that will work.

It is somewhat funny, however.

mdegracia
August 17th, 2011, 15:51
Audi likely contracted the bearing design out from a supplier, was required to buy all the units as part of the contract terms, and thus indirectly control the supply.

Had a similar problem when I put a Quaife in my 400hp Viggen....couldn't source the a couple of output shaft bearings from a local shop, had to buy from the dealer!