PDA

View Full Version : Questions before purchsing a RS6

michaellam510
August 11th, 2011, 23:10
Hi everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Need help with advice and experience owner with purchasing a 03 RS6 with 92K on the engine and the asking price is $23K. Car is in good shape and condition and has most all service done from Audi. It’s coming from a small local dealer so warranty is only 1 month. I tested drove the car and yes it a "breast" on four wheels, very comfy, fast and like it much better than a S8. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have been doing some homework on the pros and cons online. The most worries me is the maintenance on the car. I heard many horror stories about maintenance repairs, tranny and converter (poor built) on the car and it’s really pricy. Also can these kind of maintenance work be done by a local mechanic or has to be Audi tech? A busy of mind is a cerf (Honda mechanic) and does all work on my Lexus GS/RS not sure if he can replace timing belt, water pump, brake and rotors on a RS6. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
MY last conclusion is any advices from RS6 owner will be appreciative. This is a good buy or it will be a money pit and stay away? Thanks<o:p></o:p>
Picutres are the actual car. <o:p></o:p>

ben916
August 11th, 2011, 23:55
Michael,

You will get some to tell you to use the search functionality on here, but that doesn't really help sometimes...

First off, you came to THE right place to research about these awesome vehicles!

I would think that the price for the mileage is a little high - especially since it looks stock. I think that dealership would be thankful to get $20k.
It also looks like the DRC recall was done as the ass end sits high.

Maintenance costs can be high but if you can do some of the little stuff, you should be fine.
Also, if you update your location, you might be surprised that there are others around you, except for MaxRS6.

The weak points are the transmission (not the tranny) and the suspension.

A 1 month warranty is ok, as some recent buyers would be aware, it could/would/should save you that Transmission/Torque Converter code and towing back to the place you got it from.

An aftermarket warranty is highly recommended but most, if not all, are based on mileage at the time of purchase, and for that mileage, you ARE going to pay a premium...

Also, if you are dead set on THAT car, take it to Audi for a PPI and VAG COM it....

Front rotors are @ $600-700
Front Pads are @ $200
Oil change is @ $115 at indy shop
Tires require a rating of XL (Extra Load) and Z rating... no sense in sacrificing yourself a couple of bucks for a high speed blow out..
Gas is premium $ 3.75/gl
New coilovers are $2500

IIRC, there is a stock RS6 with 56k miles for $28k on here...

lswing
August 12th, 2011, 00:23
Michael,

You will get some to tell you to use the search functionality on here, but that doesn't really help sometimes...

First off, you came to THE right place to research about these awesome vehicles!

I would think that the price for the mileage is a little high - especially since it looks stock. I think that dealership would be thankful to get $20k.
It also looks like the DRC recall was done as the ass end sits high.

Maintenance costs can be high but if you can do some of the little stuff, you should be fine.
Also, if you update your location, you might be surprised that there are others around you, except for MaxRS6.

The weak points are the transmission (not the tranny) and the suspension.

A 1 month warranty is ok, as some recent buyers would be aware, it could/would/should save you that Transmission/Torque Converter code and towing back to the place you got it from.

An aftermarket warranty is highly recommended but most, if not all, are based on mileage at the time of purchase, and for that mileage, you ARE going to pay a premium...

Also, if you are dead set on THAT car, take it to Audi for a PPI and VAG COM it....

Front rotors are @ $600-700
Front Pads are @ $200
Oil change is @ $115 at indy shop
Tires require a rating of XL (Extra Load) and Z rating... no sense in sacrificing yourself a couple of bucks for a high speed blow out..
Gas is premium $ 3.75/gl
New coilovers are $2500

IIRC, there is a stock RS6 with 56k miles for $28k on here...

Yep, nice to have when the check engine light comes on on the way home. They gave me $2k to fix the TC, although it ended up being $2,500 with the ACE upgrade and fluids/sensors. My mech was Audi/VW and he knew the tricks to make the job go well, stick with someone who's done it before.

The timing belt might need service now too, that's about $1,600 or so....

Damn fun car though!

lswing
August 12th, 2011, 00:25
Ben, my car sits exactly that high, DRC I'm guessing. Sorry to hijack the post, but is your suspension firm around town and then soft under heavy cornering? Wonder if mine is working well, or if it's just the weight of the car?

michaellam510
August 12th, 2011, 00:35
Wow, I guess I cam to the right place... Thanks for the info Ben, that was much help. Yes the car is all factory stock, when I test drove the check engine was on and the dealer told me he will take care of it. It's a tough decision and thanks to everyone for sharing. Have fun driving, maybe I will turn toward an IS-F.

Hi everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Need help with advice and experience owner with purchasing a 03 RS6 with 92K on the engine and the asking price is $23K. Car is in good shape and condition and has most all service done from Audi. It’s coming from a small local dealer so warranty is only 1 month. I tested drove the car and yes it a "breast" on four wheels, very comfy, fast and like it much better than a S8. <o:p></o:p>
I have been doing some homework on the pros and cons online. The most worries me is the maintenance on the car. I heard many horror stories about maintenance repairs, tranny and converter (poor built) on the car and it’s really pricy. Also can these kind of maintenance work be done by a local mechanic or has to be Audi tech? A busy of mind is a cerf (Honda mechanic) and does all work on my Lexus GS/RS not sure if he can replace timing belt, water pump, brake and rotors on a RS6. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
MY last conclusion is any advices from RS6 owner will be appreciative. This is a good buy or it will be a money pit and stay away? Thanks<o:p></o:p>
Picutres are the actual car. <o:p></o:p>

lswing
August 12th, 2011, 00:40
Wow, I guess I cam to the right place... Thanks for the info Ben, that was much help. Yes the car is all factory stock, when I test drove the check engine was on and the dealer told me he will take care of it. It's a tough decision and thanks to everyone for sharing. Have fun driving, maybe I will turn toward an IS-F.

They'll take care of it by clearing the codes....:) Even so, decent price, IF they are willing to do some work...

1sadavant
August 12th, 2011, 00:48

I would let another dealer that has no interest in the sale, take a look at the CEL, very easy to clear, and in some cases won't come on until driven 40 miles later.

Since you are a tech you could very easily do the tb, brakes, and even possibly the suspension swap if it ever comes to it. Plenty of tutorials and help from the forums to help you get through it. I think a properly running rs6 is boat loads of fun compared to a ISF.

michaellam510
August 12th, 2011, 00:50
How do you tell if the Tranny slip or going bad? They would charge me $500 more to have timming belt and water pump replace. So what would be my most concern if I go ahead and purchase this car. Tires and braking seem good. Thanks

michaellam510
August 12th, 2011, 00:54
So if they cleared the CEL will other dealer recall and dectect the issue? This is like going to RS6 school, thanks guys.

1sadavant
August 12th, 2011, 01:06
It is possible, but the car will have to be driven for xxx amount of miles before the CEL is thrown. Also soft codes/dtc's are stored faults but don't illicit a CEL. Thus only found by VAGCom.

michaellam510
August 12th, 2011, 01:09
Anyone know the ballpark ***price for aftermarket warranty on RS6 with 93,000 would be?

1sadavant
August 12th, 2011, 01:16
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22166-Aftermarket-warranty-advice?highlight=Warranty

DHall1
August 12th, 2011, 03:33
Price is too high.

My .02c about the CEL. A RS6 with 93k and a CEL sitting at a used car monkey lot will 9 times out of 10 be the transmission.

Run as fast as you can away from that car. Keep looking for a lower mileage unit.

Any dealer that says..."we will take care of that CEL for ya" is full of crap. They are only going to clear the code and deliver the problem to ya.

Run

DHall1
August 12th, 2011, 04:06
And BTW, if Pat is still considering selling his car....you better buy that one because everything is current and it has a crap load of the best mods.

ben916
August 12th, 2011, 04:56
Ben, my car sits exactly that high, DRC I'm guessing. Sorry to hijack the post, but is your suspension firm around town and then soft under heavy cornering? Wonder if mine is working well, or if it's just the weight of the car?

Iswing - yeah the DRC recall was $hitty bandage job - suspension not loaded before tightening everything down. "It will settle" - yeah, how does a system that is pressurized to 15-20 Bar settle? It is called a fookin' leak = another failure... I don't remember the exact fender to center of wheel for Front/Rear (13.75" - 14" front, I think) (14"-14.25" rear, I think) - Search for that one...

Price is too high.

My .02c about the CEL. A RS6 with 93k and a CEL sitting at a used car monkey lot will 9 times out of 10 be the transmission.

Run as fast as you can away from that car. Keep looking for a lower mileage unit.

Any dealer that says..."we will take care of that CEL for ya" is full of crap. They are only going to clear the code and deliver the problem to ya.

Run

Agreed, clearing it doesn't solve the issue..
There are others to look at, at a better price and lower mileage...without CEL's

vitalian
August 12th, 2011, 17:14
My two cents, for what they're worth (2 cents), is that it isn't necessarily a bad thing to buy a higher mileage RS6 if the price is right, but IF and ONLY IF you have access to all of the service records so that you can verify that all scheduled maintainance has been performed at the recommended intervals, that the DRC has been fixed (via recall or replacement), and that the car does not have recurring issues likely to cost a crapload of $$$ (transmission, etc.). I would NOT buy an RS6 with the check engine light illuminated, regardless of mileage.

ThrillHouse
August 12th, 2011, 19:43
As stated above I would have it scanned with VAG and at also make sure the ODBII readiness is all passed.

Things are good for the consumer buying cars in Mass too. The dealership has to have it pass inspection, and if it doesn't they have to fix it or buy the car back. The CEL is cause alone for failure, and if they just clear the codes the ODBII readiness won't be passed and you'll still fail. Once all the ODBII readiness tests are performed you could end up with the same CEL and still fail. You already know the state imposed warranty too. Make sure that they know that *you* know your rights. They may decide that they don't want to sell to you if they are shady...
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Business&L2=Autos+%26+Transportation&sid=Eoca&b=terminalcontent&f=used_vehicle_warranty_law&csid=Eoca
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Autos+and+Transportation&L3=Lemon+Laws&sid=Eoca&b=terminalcontent&f=the_lemon_aid_law&csid=Eoca

You should be able to have at least the ODBII code pulled from any scan tool or even Autozone. I have a Bluetooth one that works with the Android Torque app. There are a lot of reasons for a CEL, like the gas cap isn't on tight or wasn't tightened. Could be O2 sensors/cats too which is expensive.

The current owner (dealership) should be able to go into an Audi dealership and get the full service records.

ttboost
August 13th, 2011, 01:54
Yep, be prepared...can run pefect one minute and have a CEL and 5 codes the next!!!...you gotta really LOVE this car, or you will be smashing your head into a brick wall saying WHY, WHY, WHY!!!!

Oh and I love mine and will likely never sell it...just sayin...

QuattroRS
August 13th, 2011, 03:06
So you're sayin its not the transmission.

My money is on TC and it can be cleared only to pop up again.

As stated above I would have it scanned with VAG and at also make sure the ODBII readiness is all passed.

Things are good for the consumer buying cars in Mass too. The dealership has to have it pass inspection, and if it doesn't they have to fix it or buy the car back. The CEL is cause alone for failure, and if they just clear the codes the ODBII readiness won't be passed and you'll still fail. Once all the ODBII readiness tests are performed you could end up with the same CEL and still fail. You already know the state imposed warranty too. Make sure that they know that *you* know your rights. They may decide that they don't want to sell to you if they are shady...
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Business&L2=Autos+%26+Transportation&sid=Eoca&b=terminalcontent&f=used_vehicle_warranty_law&csid=Eoca
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Autos+and+Transportation&L3=Lemon+Laws&sid=Eoca&b=terminalcontent&f=the_lemon_aid_law&csid=Eoca

You should be able to have at least the ODBII code pulled from any scan tool or even Autozone. I have a Bluetooth one that works with the Android Torque app. There are a lot of reasons for a CEL, like the gas cap isn't on tight or wasn't tightened. Could be O2 sensors/cats too which is expensive.

The current owner (dealership) should be able to go into an Audi dealership and get the full service records.

cmick
August 13th, 2011, 20:52
Yes, everything Ive read thus far is true. I was you about a year ago, but mine was at 84,00. Anyway, I bought the car, absolutely love it...Got that same light right away. Got all my money back from the $3,600 warranty I bought at time of purchase during the first repair, which was the torque converter. So...Whats the point here? If you are buying an RS6 with that kind of mileage, get the best warranty, or make sure the TC has been replaced. Hope this helps.

michaellam510
August 14th, 2011, 02:02
Really, Who is Pat? is he still selling? Location and price? Thanks

michaellam510
August 14th, 2011, 02:13
Thanks for much guys for all the inputs and feedbacks. So RS6 with high mileage = stay away and run fast?

I guess, I will just have to save up more and get a newer RS6 V10. Thanks again everyone for such a great help and probably saves me a tons of $$$.

Mike

na1mt
August 14th, 2011, 02:42
You mean S6 V10?

ben916
August 14th, 2011, 05:54
Really, Who is Pat? is he still selling? Location and price? Thanks

Pat is V8Weight in MN = and if you do choose to purchase his car, there isn't much left to mod - and it just so happens to be the FASTEST color around...

Thanks for much guys for all the inputs and feedbacks. So RS6 with high mileage = stay away and run fast?
I guess, I will just have to save up more and get a newer RS6 V10. Thanks again everyone for such a great help and probably saves me a tons of $$$.
Mike

Um Mike.... there are maybe 3 unconfirmed RS6 V10's in the USA.... the chances of finding one is extremely slim... you could get one or two from Germany - import them, DOT them and then you would have one or two... Or you could go to Cancun and get the red one there but it is a sedan... 750hp of AWD fun would sure spank some M3/M5/AMG ass all over the highway and snow...

michaellam510
August 14th, 2011, 17:00
Yes, that help.. Thanks.

Hey cmick, where did you buy your warraty from? Thanks

Yes, everything Ive read thus far is true. I was you about a year ago, but mine was at 84,00. Anyway, I bought the car, absolutely love it...Got that same light right away. Got all my money back from the $3,600 warranty I bought at time of purchase during the first repair, which was the torque converter. So...Whats the point here? If you are buying an RS6 with that kind of mileage, get the best warranty, or make sure the TC has been replaced. Hope this helps.

nene
August 15th, 2011, 00:17
Michael,
I am in Boston as well. We can do test drive the car together and I can give you some opinions.
I also have a VAG tool which we can check any codes and see if they are anything to worry about.
Hope I can help.

TozoM8
August 15th, 2011, 00:43
TC check. Go up to 40mph, put it in TIP 5th, go up to 90 with full throttle without hitting the kick down switch on the floor . If the TC slipping it will throw a code.