PDA

View Full Version : Measures to promote tranny life

mdegracia
August 9th, 2011, 21:09
Aside from the NHTSA complaint form, what measures should I be considering to keep my TC happy?

I have an order of Redline d4 and filter on their way. Can I allow the TC to actively pump out the old fluid from the cooler port, while adding new fluid?

Anything else I can do? Does teh MTM TCU chip help reduce tranny temps, or just syncthe tranny with tuned ecus better?

I had a TC slip the other night! Car drove fine the next day though? Going to check for codes tonight.

Matt

vodeftones
August 10th, 2011, 01:09
Don't drive the car, that will help. haha

speedtrapped
August 10th, 2011, 02:52
Has the TC been replaced? Big weak spot on this car. If it's original, be happy you stole the car for $14k, cause it will need to be replaced. If u do, get an ace converter.

4everRS
August 10th, 2011, 04:02
Did you get a code? Or how do you know it slipped? By feel?

I tried better fluid, fliter and MTM tcu chip to quicken shifts. All in hopes to extend life to the box. Ended up needing a new TC anyway. It's and ACE and seems to really work great.

mdegracia
August 10th, 2011, 13:55
No codes found.

I felt and saw the slip on the tach. I think the fluid level is low, since I have a slight leak at the rear output shaft seal. Hoping to change the fluid this weekend!

Yeah, I guess I can't complain considering my purchase price, just not in the mood for doing a TC swap. From the carfax report, it does look like the TC may have been replaced, as there is a line item on parts ordered and transmission removed and repaired...so, maybe I'm ok. That was back 25k or so.

On a side note, what is the power split for these cars? 40:60 (F:R)?

4everRS
August 10th, 2011, 19:16
A way to check if the fluid is low, open all the windows and preferably on a street with curbs or something that will reflect the sounds of the car. If your low, you will hear a kind of whinning. This is cavitation through the fliter, i.e sucking some air into the system. If your leaking, your probably low on fluid. That rear shaft seal may be easy for a shop to replace as all that needs to be done is to drop the driveshaft. I've never replaced that seal. If you see leaking from the front of the tranny, you likely have or will have larger problems.

I think it was another member who said "There are 2 kinds of RS6's, ones that have had the transmission repaired, and ones that will"

Hy Octane
August 10th, 2011, 19:46
If you choose any other fluid than the ZF lifeguard 5 that is stock, assume it will need changing more often than their recommendations... If you use the ZF , consider changing it every 15k miles as it burns up quickly under the temps and loads this car produces.
There are many who have tried the BND Quantum Blue which seems to have the best credentials..
The main thing, whichever way you go, is to disregard the factory claim that the fluid is good for life (is that your life or the cars?) and change it more often that you would think necessary.
The other thing is to go a bit easier on the tranny.. Limit the racing/WOT off the line and you will extend the life. The factory tranny is only rated for 125K miles life expectancy to begin with and I havent seen one make it that far yet.

marklar182
August 10th, 2011, 21:34
Rear prop shaft seal leaks diff fluid, not ATF.