PDA

View Full Version : MTM ECU tune?

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 14:08
Is anyone running an MTM ECU tune? How does it compare to say Eurocharged? I'm going to Hoppen to get the TCU done this week, just curious if there is any feedback out there.

kilian tuning
August 7th, 2011, 14:26
Ive done my tcu by Viper Tuning...Very knowledgeable guy... and cheap to.

http://www.vipertuning.com/

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 14:40
Thank you, but Hoppen is a 45 min drive. Isle of Man is a long way away to ship an ECU and have the car down the whole time... I appreciate it though.

speedtrapped
August 7th, 2011, 14:41
I know viper has an excellent rep, but unless something has changed isn't their flash stage 1, $1800.00?.... Not really cheap with tunes u can buy now, $600.00-$700.00 range.

kilian tuning
August 7th, 2011, 14:50
No, Viper stage 1 cheaper.
Its also possible to buy a cable from him so you can chip it with his stage 1 map. You have to do some vagcom scans and send so he can adjust his maps to that.
He did my TCU for free...!!! even the postage he took for his account... I garanteed him if i plan to do a remap, i do it with his maps...And i will do that, because there are some very nice gains in hp with his maps!

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 15:23
Back to MTM...

Elevens
August 7th, 2011, 15:51
I used to run the MTM tune. Very good tune, lots of power, lots of torque. And Mike is a very good guy to deal with. However its not customizable, one generic tune and that's it. Eurocharged, don't know much about it. but I think its the best bang for the buck. I've heard no complaints. I run the Viper Tune myself. Rich over their on the Isle of Man is one of the best guys I have ever dealt with. His tunes are very customizable and he is very knowledgeable. Anything you want and any way you want it, he will do. As a matter of fact when I sort out some Transmission shifting issues I have, I am sending him some WOT logs for him to go over and Re-Tweak the Tune for optimal performance for my car in particular. However If your close to Hoppen Motorsport and plan no major upgrades in the future, then by all means use his Tune. I had no issues with it. Its just that I went fully Catless and there was no MTM Tune for that. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.....................

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 16:00
Thanks Elevens!

kilian tuning
August 7th, 2011, 16:13
Yes, Rich from Viper Tuning is the best around!

DHall1
August 7th, 2011, 16:27
Mixed results from MTM ECU tunes. Actually, I dont have 1 excellent log from a MTM ecu tune. They could be out there but no member has really documented the results. There is even one member that that ditched the MTM staged upgrade path and gone another route.

On the other hand there is the tune for 499 dollars that has been documented over and over and over again.

Is anyone running an MTM ECU tune? How does it compare to say Eurocharged? I'm going to Hoppen to get the TCU done this week, just curious if there is any feedback out there.

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 17:39
Dave, are you referring to Eurocharged?

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 18:33
Is shipping the ECU to them (Eurocharged) the only way to get the tune, or will they load it on the handheld programmer so that I can do it?

JSRS6
August 7th, 2011, 18:51
Yes, you can buy the handheld programmer with the map already loaded.

toddc
August 8th, 2011, 00:16
Yes, you can buy the handheld programmer with the map already loaded.
Not exactly...you have to upload the existing map from the ECU to the programmer, from the programmer to your computer and email it to them. They will email you back a tune that you have to download from the computer back to the programmer and then download that to the car. After all that, it will likely not work, because there are issues with the Mygenius, and it will takes months to sort out. Ask me how I know.

speedtrapped
August 8th, 2011, 00:55
^^, true compared to other tuners, downloading ECu/vin code uploading and downloading again is a PIA, but I never had a problem with my mygenuis handheld. My previous set up was stage2 eurocharged and made 424/506 at the wheels, and that's documented vs stock rs6 same day, dyne etc. $499 is a bargain and the power was awesome.

toddc
August 8th, 2011, 01:27
Well, I guess I didn't get the RS6.com deal...I paid $599 for the tune and $499 for the programmer and got 0 additional HP/TQ at the wheels.

DHall1
August 8th, 2011, 01:46
mygenius works just fine as well.

^^, true compared to other tuners, downloading ECu/vin code uploading and downloading again is a PIA, but I never had a problem with my mygenuis handheld. My previous set up was stage2 eurocharged and made 424/506 at the wheels, and that's documented vs stock rs6 same day, dyne etc. $499 is a bargain and the power was awesome.

speedtrapped
August 8th, 2011, 02:21
Well, I guess I didn't get the RS6.com deal...I paid $599 for the tune and $499 for the programmer and got 0 additional HP/TQ at the wheels.
My tune was $499.00 and my handheld was $499.00.

4everRS
August 8th, 2011, 02:34
Interesting toddc, never heard this feedback for EC. Everyone I know has good results with the EC tune. I don't have it, so by no means am I some kind of fanboy of thiers. If I didnt already have an APR tune, I would likely go with EC though.

BTW, I just learned APR has a handheld programmer also for 99 bucks so you can email them logs and they can update your file.

V8weight
August 8th, 2011, 02:54
This about sums up my Eurocharged experience..."Oh so your having problems with my tune?..hang tight while I ignore your phone calls and figure it out yourself"....thus I have a Viper tune.

Rspring
August 8th, 2011, 03:16
So there is an RS6.com deal? I just want a good ECU tune. Have tuned the ECUs on my last three cars and it is an amazing difference. I don't want to ship my ECU to Isle of Man, or really anywhere. I'm willing to do so if there is no reasonable alternative but if I can load a tune at home for the same price that would be great.

BTW, I do not have a PC at all. Apple stuff only: Mini, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone. This choice of mine makes tuning a PITA.

vr430
August 8th, 2011, 03:18
I am running MTM tune (came with the car when I purchased it). Pat has the log. When we were collecting it, he commented it looked very conservative but quite solid. No problems here.

Rspring
August 8th, 2011, 03:22
Thank you vr430!

speedtrapped
August 8th, 2011, 03:22
Rspring where do u live?, I know several tuners who can do the eurocharged flash. Tristate area?

speedtrapped
August 8th, 2011, 03:24
Florida, forgot

4everRS
August 8th, 2011, 03:27
Pat, doesn't Viper now send out a controller to do the flash? also, any way to post that log?

Dave, I thought you said you were compiling some logs to post for comparison like a year ago?

vr430
August 8th, 2011, 03:34
Oops, forgot to mention, earlier MTM builds (mine is circa 2006 I believe) would cut out once in a blue moon and you would have to reset it by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. I believe this problem had been solved. You can look it up on MTM forums. Hey, you can also go the Evotech route.

Rspring
August 8th, 2011, 04:07
Si, Tampa.

DHall1
August 8th, 2011, 05:41
I was patient with Eurocharge and just too cheap to spend 2k on a flash. The end result was worth the wait and many other members gained a big benefit from my patience and massive amount of data logging. But hey, dont buy it and while your at it dont buy Aces either.

^^ I think I have a copy of that MTM data log from vr. check sum error codes if I remember correctly. I would not be a fan of having to reset my ecu every so many starts.

Jimkrell
August 8th, 2011, 06:25
I ordered the EuroTuner with Eurocharged tunes (Stage 1 and a customized Stage 2) for only $750. Jerry from Eurocharged recommended this tuner/installer over the my genius model. I should have it in a couple of days and will let you know how it goes. Hopefully the install is easy. Jerry has been great to talk to up to this point, both on the phone and via email. Looks like some huge power gains are coming my way....knock on wood...

Rspring
August 8th, 2011, 13:14
Dave,
I already ordered Aces. Have not purchased a tune yet though. :-)

toddc
August 8th, 2011, 18:19
Yeah, Jerry at Eurocharged told me they have been having problems with the Mygenius and the RS6. Apparently they are having a hard time getting factory support from the mother company which is located in Italy. He recently sent me some hardware for the Eurotuner, but I still need to interface with him to get it all figured out. The appeal for me with doing the Eurocharged tune was the ability to swap tunes back and forth at will. I'm still not sure after this is all said and done if that will be the case. I will be greatly disappointed if I can not. I would definitely pursue going with Viper if they have that abilility with their tune.

-Todd

mdegracia
August 8th, 2011, 19:50
Does REVO offer any tuning options for the RS6 and has anyone had experience with their product?

lswing
August 8th, 2011, 21:56
Does REVO offer any tuning options for the RS6 and has anyone had experience with their product?

My REVO tune seems pretty solid. Pulls the timing a bit on full throttle but really good feel all around besides that. I'm looking at a meth/water kit to get it to stop pulling timing. I think the tune might be a bit aggressive under full throttle.

hahnmgh63
August 8th, 2011, 22:01
I also have the Revo tune and as lswing said it does normally pull the throttle on full throttle boost runs w/92 Octane but if you use the Lemmiwinks program you can richen the fuel additive under boost to compensate. I have Vagcom runs that show the Lemmiwinks does work. I am probably going to go with the Viper tune though as not only am I removing my Pre-cats but I have also removed the Secondary Air Injection system so I will need a custom tune. Revo supposedly makes a special Stage 2 program with the only change being that it skips looking at the secondary O2 sensors.

lswing
August 8th, 2011, 22:04
I also have the Revo tune and as lswing said it does normally pull the throttle on full throttle boost runs w/92 Octane but if you use the Lemmiwinks program you can richen the fuel additive under boost to compensate. I have Vagcom runs that show the Lemmiwinks does work. I am probably going to go with the Viper tune though as not only am I removing my Pre-cats but I have also removed the Secondary Air Injection system so I will need a custom tune. Revo supposedly makes a special Stage 2 program with the only change being that it skips looking at the secondary O2 sensors.

Lemmiwinks eh?, I'll give it a look up. Current plan is to get some 100 octane, put a bit in the tank to get up to 94/95 or so, and see if it stops pulling my timing, (and power!) away. Then, meth kit! Yep, on 92 octane chevron here...

DHall1
August 8th, 2011, 22:17
Revo cranks boost. As a result you can tend to run lean because Revo does not alter fuel maps enough. Then you ping. Then ecu pulls timing not Revo software. Hahn has worked around this by using Lemmi and adding fuel. If you already have the Revo...then Lemmi is a solution but you should get a Vagcom and get to know how to tune.

Lemmiwinks eh?, I'll give it a look up. Current plan is to get some 100 octane, put a bit in the tank to get up to 94/95 or so, and see if it stops pulling my timing, (and power!) away. Then, meth kit! Yep, on 92 octane chevron here...

lswing
August 8th, 2011, 22:23
Revo cranks boost. As a result you can tend to run lean because Revo does not alter fuel maps enough. Then you ping. Then ecu pulls timing not Revo software. Hahn has worked around this by using Lemmi and adding fuel. If you already have the Revo...then Lemmi is a solution but you should get a Vagcom and get to know how to tune.

Yes, I should have stated the ECU is pulling the timing. Thanks for the details on the REVO tune, I figured something was a bit off. More fuel eh? What about higher octane via meth/water? I've done some open source on my wrx, stage 2. Some friends have a vagcom, but I'd rather not deal with tuning much right now, might down the road. If I could keep the fuel as is, and have the meth kick on when the car needs it that seems ideal...

DHall1
August 8th, 2011, 22:29
If you are lean with 92 octane.

You will still be lean with 2,654 octane.

EGT does not take a time out if you have 2,654 octane race gas or whatever meth kit.

If its lean and your running too much boost. Then you fix the lean or fix the boost. There is no way around it.

.02c

Yes, I should have stated the ECU is pulling the timing. Thanks for the details on the REVO tune, I figured something was a bit off. More fuel eh? What about higher octane via meth/water? I've done some open source on my wrx, stage 2. Some friends have a vagcom, but I'd rather not deal with tuning much right now, might down the road. If I could keep the fuel as is, and have the meth kick on when the car needs it that seems ideal...

lswing
August 8th, 2011, 22:31
If you are lean with 92 octane.

You will still be lean with 2,654 octane.

EGT does not take a time out if you have 2,654 octane race gas or whatever meth kit.

If its lean and your running too much boost. Then you fix the lean or fix the boost. There is no way around it.

.02c

Got it, thanks! I'll look at adding some more fuel via the tune...last thing I want to do is back of the boost.

DHall1
August 8th, 2011, 22:43
Its not that hard. Hahn is a good contact as he has fixed the issue and has the workaround.

The nasty cascade of running lean with added boost is first the timing getting pulled then the EGTs skyrocket thru the roof due to the lean condition, high boost and pulled timing. Very bad situation.

hahnmgh63
August 8th, 2011, 22:59
lswing, I can send you the Lemmiwinks program and the user manual which are both fairly small files and easy to use although you will need a OBDII cable to use. If you have Vagcom you can use the Vagcom cable, you just need to change the mode, within Vagcom, that it is working in (you uncheck the 'Intelligent Mode' box). Question is, how do you know the car is pulling timing if you are not using Vagcom?

lswing
August 8th, 2011, 23:03
lswing, I can send you the Lemmiwinks program and the user manual which are both fairly small files and easy to use although you will need a OBDII cable to use. If you have Vagcom you can use the Vagcom cable, you just need to change the mode, within Vagcom, that it is working in (you uncheck the 'Intelligent Mode' box). Question is, how do you know the car is pulling timing if you are not using Vagcom?

Hahn, that would be great, I'll send you my email. My friends at the shop could do the adjustment via vagcom. You are correct, pulled timing is not confirmed via computer, just butt. Basically when I get on the gas good and turbos are on full the car "bumps" off boost every half second or so. From people I've talked to it's the timing being pulled...?

hahnmgh63
August 9th, 2011, 01:53
One thing I think is important to check rather than just the timing is the Block 20 & 21 which are the knock sensor reading per cylinder which will show you trends in the timing pulled and you can correlate that to the timing reading to see if it is just the tune or the fueling, boost, etc....
I did send the Lemmiwinks, definitely read the S4 Wiki pages. Read the stuff about the Primary & Secondary fuel tweaks and you will see that you probably want to only use the Primary fuel tweak and leave the Secondary alone. Fuel tweaks under Load (CH2) are the ones I want to look at once I get my car back on the road. The nice thing about Lemmiwinks is that even though I'm going to a custom tune, Lemmiwinks should work with any Tune as it just adjusts parameters that are in the Motronic ME7.1 over the top of whatever flash is in the PROM.

Rspring
August 9th, 2011, 02:22
This is all making Eurotuned sound very good.

speedtrapped
August 9th, 2011, 02:56
^^^^ bingo we have a winner....

Rspring
August 9th, 2011, 03:53
I now have a smile. DHall, do you approve? :-)

DHall1
August 9th, 2011, 04:35
Roger...Clarence? Clarence do you roger? Roger roger we have a winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqdDoe8FoM&NR=1

vr430
August 10th, 2011, 19:37
After all the talk about the rest, it makes me glad I have MTM. Set it and forget it for more than adequate gains. So what if I have to reset it once every couple of years of daily driving - problem which had been fixed with tunes MTM sells today. But if you prefer to putz around with lemmings and geniuses, all the power to you.

speedtrapped
August 10th, 2011, 19:44
^^^ how very smart of you to buy an RS6 preloaded with MTM, thank god it wasnt preloaded with GIAC......Many a memeber here are trying to help, and its always funny how personal it gets when an owner chooses 1 tune over another. I had Eurocharged, great flash, great price end of story...vr430 search is your friend, we did a huge dyno day back in jan in VA, lots of cool looking dyno charts for the lemmings and genuises to peruse, or worse putz(isnt that yiddish for forskin, yuk).

vr430
August 10th, 2011, 20:31
Hey, I lucked out. I am sure if a Eurocharged or whatever else, or none at all would have come with the car, I would be just as pleased... well, may be not GIAC. I am trying to help as well. After all, original thread question was about MTM. Does it bother you that I am happy with it?

I used to own an EVO VIII... talk about getting personal about tunes! I lived through Vishnu vs Dynaflash wars. This is nothing! Personally, I am getting old and burned out on putzing with tunes and prefer set it and forget it option. That is all I was trying to say - just another perspective.

BTW, putz means d*ck, not foreskin.

lswing
August 10th, 2011, 20:33
^^^ how very smart of you to buy an RS6 preloaded with MTM, thank god it wasnt preloaded with GIAC......Many a memeber here are trying to help, and its always funny how personal it gets when an owner chooses 1 tune over another. I had Eurocharged, great flash, great price end of story...vr430 search is your friend, we did a huge dyno day back in jan in VA, lots of cool looking dyno charts for the lemmings and genuises to peruse, or worse putz(isnt that yiddish for forskin, yuk).

Nice reply, good points. My situation is along those lines, but I bought my car with the REVO tune already installed. Not sure why the owner didn't fix the problem in the first place. I suppose i am dragging my feet on it too. I'm a bit too busy these days to play open source tuner, although it is fun. I've contemplated contacting REVO and asking if they can send me an updated file. I'm surprised they issue a map that runs lean (supposedly) under heavy boost, that's the last thing you want if I'm not mistaken. I wonder of the stock fuel injectors are maxing out? That was an issue I came close to with the wrx. The Audi ECU seems to be good at correcting this, but at what cost in the long run? Maybe I just need to get my damn obd2 cable, laptop, and get to work...

hahnmgh63
August 10th, 2011, 21:00
The completely stock Revo tune isn't really too lean lswing. If you have the SPS Select tool and turn the boost up then it does raise the boost but the fueling curve doesn't increase with the boost so it tends to go lean. But if the dealer that installed your Revo tune set the boost higher than Revo's recommended generic flash setting then it could be lean. Also, Revo did come out with a revision whcih is a free upgrade about 3 or 4 years ago. VR430, how do you know your MTM doesn't go lean without doing logs? The Lemmiwinks program can be used to make Motronic changes to any of the tunes out there but shouldn't be used without having done Vagcom logs to see what your timing & fueling is actually doing. You could be using a tune that runs slightly lean for years that will eventually burn an exhaust valve or overcook something that isn't discovered until it's too late.

lswing
August 10th, 2011, 21:45
hahnmg63, thanks again for the detailed input. Sending you a PM to get the Lemmiwinks program. I'll get the VAGCOM cable from my mech and put the necessary logging software on a laptop. I believe this is the best direction to go in.

vr430
August 10th, 2011, 22:22
VR430, how do you know your MTM doesn't go lean without doing logs?

You are absolutely correct. I don't know for sure. What I do know is that by all accounts it is a conservative tune, I have over 115,000mi on it and no sign of knock (knock on wood). I am taking a calculated risk (worth the price of the engine). If it was GIAC or some other I would not have liked, I would have either not purchased this particular car, or had either detuned or swapped tunes already. As I said, I am too old to worry about running on the rugged edge.

DHall1
August 11th, 2011, 04:02
You purchased this car with the flash already installed. I think Pat had a few data logs on your car last year? right You still cant verify the condition or state of the MTM file without data logs and dyno runs and who knows if its even faster than a stock RS6 because you have never driven your car in stock form.

As for lemmings and geniuses...those are two different pathways to fine tune other products. Not really a fair issue to bring them into the picture.

If you have Revo THEN it may be a good idea to check or tweek it as it may be too lean.

If you have Eurocharge and wish to load different programs THEN you need the genius to swap files.

Make no mistake the Eurocharge file is set and forget in stage 1 or 2 form. But, these cars need constant attention and a Vagcom should be standard equipment for every RS6 owner.

After all the talk about the rest, it makes me glad I have MTM. Set it and forget it for more than adequate gains. So what if I have to reset it once every couple of years of daily driving - problem which had been fixed with tunes MTM sells today. But if you prefer to putz around with lemmings and geniuses, all the power to you.

Elevens
August 11th, 2011, 16:41
As I said before the MTM tune is a one time Generic Tune, Much faster than stock. Remember MTM is one of the leading Audi Only Tuners, and I would trust them more than most. I also forgot to mention that Mike at hoppen MotorSport Rechips the ECU, he does not flash it. He removes the Stock chip, replaces it with a socket and then plugs in an encrypted daughter board with the MTM software. Why its not flashed I don't know, but I just thought I would mention this. And as I said before If it were not for its Inflexibility I would have stuck with it. Very strong with no issues. It would seem to me though for the money you can't beat the Eurocharged tune though.........

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010331.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010332.jpg

lswing
August 15th, 2011, 19:17
Hanh was nice enough to send me the Lemmiwinks software and some instructions. I've got the XP laptop and am ordering a standard OBDII cable. What have people been using for logging software? Let the fun begin....

lswing
August 15th, 2011, 19:21
Hanh was nice enough to send me the Lemmiwinks software and some instructions. I've got the XP laptop and am ordering a standard OBDII cable. What have people been using for logging software? Let the fun begin....

Ok ok, guessing this is my answer....The Lemmiwinks program can be used to make Motronic changes to any of the tunes out there but shouldn't be used without having done Vagcom logs to see what your timing & fueling is actually doing.

DHall1
August 15th, 2011, 19:24
Yes, vagcom is the only program/cable you will need. The Lemmi works on the vagcom cable as well.

Datalogs are easy.

Ok ok, guessing this is my answer....The Lemmiwinks program can be used to make Motronic changes to any of the tunes out there but shouldn't be used without having done Vagcom logs to see what your timing & fueling is actually doing.

SzymekCRX
October 14th, 2011, 17:50
As I said before the MTM tune is a one time Generic Tune, Much faster than stock. Remember MTM is one of the leading Audi Only Tuners, and I would trust them more than most. I also forgot to mention that Mike at hoppen MotorSport Rechips the ECU, he does not flash it. He removes the Stock chip, replaces it with a socket and then plugs in an encrypted daughter board with the MTM software. Why its not flashed I don't know, but I just thought I would mention this. And as I said before If it were not for its Inflexibility I would have stuck with it. Very strong with no issues. It would seem to me though for the money you can't beat the Eurocharged tune though.........

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010331.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010332.jpg

Hello guys.

Can someone confirm that this chip I got from my RS6 previous owner friend is a ECU MTM CHIP ? He had hid RS6 MTM tuned and unsoldered this chip when he was selling his car.

It looks pretty exaclty the same as the photo above (apart from the missing sticker).

So ? ECU MTM chip mod ? :)

Elevens
October 14th, 2011, 20:20
Hello guys.

Can someone confirm that this chip I got from my RS6 previous owner friend is a ECU MTM CHIP ? He had hid RS6 MTM tuned and unsoldered this chip when he was selling his car.

It looks pretty exaclty the same as the photo above (apart from the missing sticker).

So ? ECU MTM chip mod ? :)

Well obviously I can not confirm it for sure. But it sure matches it by looks alone. Even to the on board Decryption chip mounted underside. I would say it looks good though since that Decryption chip is pretty unique to MTM trying to protect their code. Just my call though.

sandcam
October 18th, 2011, 20:48
I'm running the MTM ECU and TCU tune and I've noticed a strange quirk. It seems that about every 2-3 weeks my car goes into a no boost mode. Literally I turn it on one day and the boost is completely gone. If I unplug the ECU and plug it back in we're back in action 100% with the MTM tune. Then in about another 2-3 weeks it just turns itself off and I repeat the hard reset process.....very annoying. I've had my local Audi/Porsche tuner shop check all of the mechanics. All they found was a slight leak in one of my intercoolers which I had them replace. They replaced all of the tubing/hoses as well and did a pressure test and everything checks out perfect. Any ideas why my ECU just decides it wants to turn off the boost after a few weeks of running? This did NOT happen with my stock ECU, only after I had Hoppen install the MTM chip on the ECU which when working...is fantastic.

SzymekCRX
October 18th, 2011, 20:57
ECU just protects the engine because of overboost (You had a leak in the IC). You should have had a CEL but maybe MTM ECU acts some way different and just go to limp mode (no boost). When You unplug the ECU it just switches off the limp mode and after catching more overboost it went limp again...

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2011, 20:58
well, to start, u see this alot here....buy a VAG cable and log. Easiest diagnostic solution, will show any codes thrown...could be overboosting, a boost leak wont thro car into limp mode. Once u check for engine codes, write them down and share them on here. Then find a road and lod 03,031,115 blocks on measuring blocks, 3rd gear 2k rpm rolling start WOT. Save file and display as well, this will show specified boost vs actual(maybe overboosting, N75, vac lines that control WG etc) If you dont know what I mean, go to Ross Tech and buy the VAG tool, Im not sure of the model #...but I think it cost $350.00 and it is well worth it!

JSRS6
October 18th, 2011, 21:35
How long ago did you get the ecu/tcu from hoppen?

sandcam
October 18th, 2011, 23:12
got the ecu/tcu maybe 3 months ago. The only code it's thrown is evap small leak detected....but that was before the intercooler was replaced. No codes since but it goes to no power mode every 14-20 days.

JSRS6
October 18th, 2011, 23:51
Your n80 valve is going bad. Replacement is super easy and should fix your issue.

sandcam
October 19th, 2011, 13:51
N80 = EVAP valve and N75 = OEM boost controller correct? Where is the N80 located? Thx for the heads up.
I did find this http://www.s4-mtm.com/images/RS6-C5StudyGuide.pdf but it doesn't really give me a clear pic of the N80 valve. Is this one of those things that I should just replace the N75 and N80 at the same time since they are both almost 9yrs old and i'm running extra boost now?

JSRS6
October 19th, 2011, 13:59
Correct.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/jsrs6/b11384a6.jpg

SzymekCRX
October 19th, 2011, 14:02
Passenger's side, under the hood, near the silver silo :)

JSRS6
October 19th, 2011, 14:10
Here's a close-up for the pn:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/jsrs6/06c9f3c3.jpg

sandcam
October 19th, 2011, 14:18
You guys are awesome. Should I do the N75 too or not worry about that?

JSRS6
October 19th, 2011, 14:22
I would say it can't hurt, but it can. If you do, be aware that the inlet seals die a little every time you remove that air box.

sandcam
October 19th, 2011, 17:02
FYI I verified with the dealership part # 077133517C for the N80. They want $146 and it looks like ECS has it for $76.

JSRS6
October 19th, 2011, 17:33
This is the same part. Order this one ASAP, cause I just check genuine and they want 99 now for this.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/jsrs6/eaf4c94c.jpg

vr430
October 19th, 2011, 22:01
<i>The only code it's thrown is evap small leak detected.</i>

Yep. Had exact same thing. Replaced N80 and no more CEL.

<i>It seems that about every 2-3 weeks my car goes into a no boost mode. Literally I turn it on one day and the boost is completely gone. If I unplug the ECU and plug it back in we're back in action 100% with the MTM tune.</i>

Known issue with early built MTM chips. Mine was sent back to MTM for a revision, but still not 100%. I still have to "reboot" once in a while. How old is your chip? I though MTM resolved this problem with later builds.

sandcam
October 19th, 2011, 22:31
My RS6 was used so no way to know how old the MTM chip is/was. I did send the ECU and TCU to hoppen in aug 2011 to look at and verify. Good to know it is a known issue. We'll see if the N80 replacement makes the need to do a reboot much less frequent. Is the N80 replacement as simple as pulling off two hose clamps, removing the old unit, installing the new one and tightening up the clamps again?

vr430
October 19th, 2011, 22:56
<i>My RS6 was used so no way to know how old the MTM chip is/was.</i>
You are likely in exactly same boat as I am.

<i>Is the N80 replacement as simple...</i>
Yes. About the clamps, however... Originals are crimp type. Do you have the very special tool to take them off? or else you have to destroy them - carefully! - to remove them. Or have you lacked out and your vaccuum hoses were replaced already?

SzymekCRX
October 31st, 2011, 17:40
OK guys...

I've installed my chip (on the daughterboard). After switching the ingnition now I have the car icon that shows which door are actually open (it was not present before) so I presume that chip is somehow OK...

After switching on the ignition right after a few seconds the cooling fan goes jet-mode and really runs 100% like crazy (with engine off).

Engine won't start. No go.

Does it mean that I have to resolder back the old chip ? Or is there any magic adaptation mode that is needed after putting new flash into the ECU ?

viperbl
October 31st, 2011, 22:57
Is this the ECU or TCU chip?

papadoc
November 1st, 2011, 01:02
Just replaced the N80 and had the same question. I was able to just pry open the crimp a bit and slip off the hoses, and after replacing, crimp again with needle nose pliers. I am not one for much in the way of DIY work, but this seemed too simple to farm out. I doubt this will cause a problem but am certainly open to hear from the experts on this forum. Ordered from ECS as well.

SzymekCRX
November 1st, 2011, 06:32
Is this the ECU or TCU chip?

ECU chip

marklar182
November 1st, 2011, 12:45
Either a bad chip or poor installation.

Probably the later, SMD pads are very difficult, and i urge others to leave it to the pros!

Try putting downward pressure on the daughterboard while reheating the solder pads with a fine tip iron.

Also, make sure you have the board oriented properly (not backwards).

lswing
November 1st, 2011, 14:53
Highly recommended to let Mike at Hoppen do the soldering, I know all too well....