PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to lighten the beast?

ntrcptr
August 6th, 2011, 19:46
Bottom line, its all about power-weight ratio. Shaving weight from lighter wheels and front seats should at least net 100-150 lbs. On that note, have you guys done?:vhmmm::mech:

pierson
August 6th, 2011, 20:24
front seats? i'm new at this. what seats do you get?

4everRS
August 6th, 2011, 21:19
google MTM clubsport

JSRS6
August 6th, 2011, 22:04
remove your spare tire. weighs 46 lbs.
recaro sportline seats will run you about 1600/each for the front, don't remember how much lighter they are, but they are the same style seats as what came in the euro version. and they have heating AND cooling...

JSRS6
August 6th, 2011, 22:06
oh, and lightweight wheel/tire combo and go 6 speed.

bilko1
August 6th, 2011, 22:34
remove your spare tire. weighs 46 lbs.
recaro sportline seats will run you about 1600/each for the front, don't remember how much lighter they are, but they are the same style seats as what came in the euro version. and they have heating AND cooling...

Mine are heated but not cooled (never seen cooled seats in a c5), they have electric adjustment and lumbar motors can't be much lighter than the US spec ones surely. My Avant has all the options available in the UK and weighs nearly 2000kgs. Do you guys in the US get solar sunroof and twin pane glass as an option? We don't get a spare wheel either.

JSRS6
August 6th, 2011, 22:39
I know, its an updated design. Would likely require some modifications to the harness. I almost pulled the trigger on a set right before i bought my beast.

JSRS6
August 6th, 2011, 22:45
Sorry, its the style "top line" i was thinking of

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/en/product-areas/aftermarket-seats/products/recaro-style.html#c27595

hahnmgh63
August 6th, 2011, 23:44
We got the Solar sunroof with the electric rear sunshade and manual rear sunshades as an option but no dual pane windows here, not until the C6. A lightweight Odyssey battery (PC925T) will save another 39lbs and as mentioned, Forged wheels (my BBS RS-GT's in 19" are 15lbs per wheel lighter than the stock 18" wheels), spare tire, dump the extra aux radiators and plumbing. The battery and spare tire take weight off the back of the car which is where we least need to remove weight but I think most would agree any removal is better than nothing, at least in a way that doesn't detract from the original looks or design too much. Wheels and Radiators probably help the most (as far as handling goes) but Forged Wheels are a chunk o money.

JSRS6
August 7th, 2011, 00:53
I agree with the lightweight wheels, but you also have to figure in the added weight of 19 inch tires. Depending on brand, lets say you gain 5 lbs with 19 inch tire. That is still 40lbs lost overall.

JSRS6
August 7th, 2011, 00:54
hahn, is that lightweight battery still the same size?

hahnmgh63
August 7th, 2011, 03:31
The battery is definitely smaller. It was discussed before as there were a couple of others using it. The battery needs to be left on a battery tender if the car sits more than a couple of weeks as the reserve capacity isn't as large as the huge battery that we carry. I use the stock mount, I just bent the small hold down tab in a vice to about a 30'-40' angle. As for the tire size weights, a search of Tire rack specs & manufacturers specs in 255/ 40-18 size in Michelin PS2 & the Dunlop Sport Maxx's that I am using to the 255/35-19 tires for the 19" wheels in stock size reveal the same or only 1lb increase. Tire rack says that even though you go down to a shorter sidewall and keep the same width (you would think you would get lighter in going up) that the tires weight the same or only slightly more because they tend to have more Steel cords in the sidewall than the taller sidewall sizes. So a 0 to 4lb gain is offset by a loss of 60lbs on the wheels.

bmlee007
August 7th, 2011, 21:20
Was looking around the interwebs today and found this sunroof delete...

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc;jsessionid=CB6FE60ED5FF9702BAA891BE1324 115B.qscstrfrnt01?productId=16&categoryId=29

kilian tuning
August 8th, 2011, 07:14
Like this...what a stunning car, colour, roof etc.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/DSCF1505.jpg
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/78021d03.jpg
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/f6498f2c.jpg

speedtrapped
August 8th, 2011, 11:48
Beautiful car.....

Erik
August 8th, 2011, 12:01
Love that RS6!

Benman
August 9th, 2011, 05:56
Was looking around the interwebs today and found this sunroof delete...

http://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc;jsessionid=CB6FE60ED5FF9702BAA891BE1324 115B.qscstrfrnt01?productId=16&categoryId=29 Very cool! Never saw that before! :thumb:

bmlee007
August 9th, 2011, 13:18
The total carbon roof is pretty sweet. Any info on weight savings and cost?

Ruergard
August 10th, 2011, 07:23
Like this...what a stunning car, colour, roof etc.

That might be the coolest RS6 I've seen... :love:

LIRS6
August 10th, 2011, 15:22
In my case, to reduce weight in the car I need to:

- remove from trunk: the golf bag/golf shoes/umbrellas/soccer ball (son's)/dust rags/extra qt oil/torque wrench/damper height adjust tool

- lose 40 lbs of fat

speedtrapped
August 10th, 2011, 15:42
^^^^ I hear that I need to lose 40lbs as well. Great mod.....

ben916
August 10th, 2011, 22:15
If I lose 40lb of fat, I will be 120lb of noodle...

And if I take any weight out of the rear of the '6 - the 4x4 DRC will raise up another 2"...

lswing
August 10th, 2011, 22:29
We got the Solar sunroof with the electric rear sunshade and manual rear sunshades as an option but no dual pane windows here, not until the C6. A lightweight Odyssey battery (PC925T) will save another 39lbs and as mentioned, Forged wheels (my BBS RS-GT's in 19" are 15lbs per wheel lighter than the stock 18" wheels), spare tire, dump the extra aux radiators and plumbing. The battery and spare tire take weight off the back of the car which is where we least need to remove weight but I think most would agree any removal is better than nothing, at least in a way that doesn't detract from the original looks or design too much. Wheels and Radiators probably help the most (as far as handling goes) but Forged Wheels are a chunk o money.

My battery is just about done and I've been thinking of replacing. Just to confirm, you've had good luck with the Odyssey so far? Do you still use the stock battery cover, or does is just take up extra space? Dropping 39lbs does sound nice....

ntrcptr
August 11th, 2011, 19:24
Sounds like a nice start...~40 lbs. Sounds like losing the "penalty weight" ALMS used to imposed on this car because it was winning too much.:burnout:

Benman
August 12th, 2011, 00:53
If I lose 40lb of fat, I will be 120lb of noodle... Yes, but think how well you'll climb at next year's Tour of California. ;)

lswing
August 12th, 2011, 22:12
Lose 40 lbs for $200! Why yes, I will thank you very much....

speedtrapped
August 13th, 2011, 02:26
Got my odyssey in mail, the battery is amazingly small. It's size of my kids toy jeep battery! I am waiting on the SAE terminals to install. It's super light!!

ntrcptr
August 13th, 2011, 03:44
Got my odyssey in mail, the battery is amazingly small. It's size of my kids toy jeep battery! I am waiting on the SAE terminals to install. It's super light!!

can you post pics

speedtrapped
August 13th, 2011, 04:21
Tomorrow I will, vs stock battery...its 1/3 size

speedtrapped
August 13th, 2011, 14:23
pics....

hahnmgh63
August 13th, 2011, 16:20
Funny how these threads repeat. Here is an old one with pics of my battery in the car.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21352-Cmore-can-you-share-info-on-the-Odessey-Battery-Pn-and-any-downside?highlight=925T
Another thread on weight.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17754-Tips-for-saving-weight-on-the-beast!-Help-me-put-it-on-a-diet!?highlight=PC925t

DiscoPotato
August 13th, 2011, 16:38
Sound deadening material.. Theres a bunch of it in this car.

Benman
August 13th, 2011, 18:17
Funny how these threads repeat. Here is an old one with pics of my battery in the car.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21352-Cmore-can-you-share-info-on-the-Odessey-Battery-Pn-and-any-downside?highlight=925T
Another thread on weight.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17754-Tips-for-saving-weight-on-the-beast!-Help-me-put-it-on-a-diet!?highlight=PC925t So true, but we still love it. ;)

The only "con" to the Odyssey is that it's not "jumper friendly". Slow charge only. At least, 5,6 years ago they were. Had one in my S4, loved it. Never needed a "jump", but was warned it was a no no.

ben916
August 13th, 2011, 18:29
So true, but we still love it. ;)

The only "con" to the Odyssey is that it's not "jumper friendly". Slow charge only. At least, 5,6 years ago they were. Had one in my S4, loved it. Never needed a "jump", but was warned it was a no no.

Is the Odyssey ok for Daily Driver RS6?

Benman
August 13th, 2011, 18:39
Absolutely ok for daily driving!
:cheers:

hahnmgh63
August 13th, 2011, 21:08
I've been using the Odyssey in my RS6 for about 3 years now and in my street/track 911 for about the same. The one in my 911 is the smaller model (PC680MJT) and it sits alot. Before I purchased a couple of the Battery Tender Juniors I had to jump start my 911 a couple of times. I guess I may have broken a rule that I didn't know of, Ooops. Me and the battery are still going fine but I may check Odyssey's website to be sure. As I mentioned in the other threads the 925T is fine for the RS6 but it doesn't have as much reserve capacity of the stock battery but cranks just fine. Since it doesn't have the reserve capacity and I sometimes let my RS6 for up to two weeks or so when I travel I leave it on the battery tender junior to keep it fully charged and ready to go when I get back. Without a parasitic drain the Odyssey batteries have a long shelf life with a charge but you would have to disconnect your battery to keep that charge.

Benman
August 13th, 2011, 23:04
I've been using the Odyssey in my RS6 for about 3 years now and in my street/track 911 for about the same. Before I purchased a couple of the Battery Tender Juniors I had to jump start my 911 a couple of times. I guess I may have broken a rule that I didn't know of, Ooops. Me and the battery are still going fine but I may check Odyssey's website to be sure. As I mentioned in the other threads the 925T is fine for the RS6 but it doesn't have as much reserve capacity of the stock battery but cranks just fine. Since it doesn't have the reserve capacity and I sometimes let my RS6 for up to two weeks or so when I travel I leave it on the battery tender junior to keep it fully charged and ready to go when I get back. Without a parasitic drain the Odyssey batteries have a long shelf life with a charge but you would have to disconnect your battery to keep that charge.

This is the key: It doesn't have the reserve capacity. It "officially" is not good to jump these batteries, but it obviously worked in your case. ;) :cheers:

lswing
April 4th, 2021, 17:46
Just going to update this. After 10 years, yes 10, my battery is finally not holding a good charge after a few days. Impressive for such a small battery I'd say, ordering another now.

https://www.odysseybatteries.com/pc925t.htm

hahnmgh63
April 8th, 2021, 01:13
lswing, before you go that route you might consider a Lithium. I'm now using Antigravity Lithium batteries in my '74 911 w/3.6ltr motor (3lbs), '87 944 Turbo (4lbs), RS5 (15.5lbs), RS6 (5.75lbs). They are definitely more expensive but you get an even lighter battery but with more cranking amps and reserve capacity compared to the Odyssey 925t. The RS5 is using a T6 with and the RS6 I'm using an ATX-30 which is 20lbs less than the 925t and has more cranking amps. You look at the square plastic box and pick it up and it almost feels like it's empty. The T6 is a much bigger battery, it has about the same cranking amps and Reserve capacity as the OEM battery but only weights 15.5lbs. Due to the RS5's more advanced electronics and battery monitoring it would give strange faults and over voltage spikes when I tried to use the smaller ATX-30. The battery started the car fine but while operating it would give problems. The Alternator/battery management is controlled to do weird things, when coasting it will slightly overcharge the battery and then when on full throttle it will only trickle charge and use off the battery. They call it regeneration, nothing to do with regenerative braking, I think all of the newer Audi's have it now.

eurovintage
April 9th, 2021, 18:52
Hahn did You install a battery cut off switch ? Sudggest it as asafety items, Li Batteries can get hot !
Look at the battery coming up from ZAF energy systems, NiXnc, fully recycable, does not get hot, works at low temperatures and hgih
without effect. Does not loose charge for very long time, high density versus Lead acid, no fluids !
Used currrently for Nucl. Subs, Humvee's, SAC rocket silos, Data storage......
Cheers,
Ivan

hahnmgh63
April 9th, 2021, 23:16
I did not, batteries from Antigravity are Lithium Polymer LIPO3 and not Lithium Ion. LIPO batteries can still have issues similar to Lithium Ion but are much more rugged. All of the Lithium horror stories you here about are pretty much all from Lithium Ion. Plus the fact that the Automotove line that Antigravity uses have an integral controller to manage the batteries and shut them down if needed. The really nice feature of this (they call it "Restart") is that when your battery gets low from a parasitic drain (sitting for a while, left the dome light on, etc...) the battery will shut off and keep enough power to start your vehicle. You either just press the Restart button on your battery or if you have the Bluetooth controller you can do it from your Bluetooth app on your Android or Iphone.

eurovintage
April 10th, 2021, 00:48
Hi Hahn,
definitely and improvement versus Li Ion. LiPo's are used a lot also in model aircraft etc.
Just the toxicity and environmental footprint as significant, incl. not suitable for recycling
as battery grade material. How does it perform in the cold/heat ? Do You loose overall capacity
at each recharge cycle ?

hahnmgh63
April 13th, 2021, 16:04
So far no loss in capacity during recharge, they claim longer life then Lead/Acid so we'll see. Antigravity has been around with theirs an probably one of the most reputable companies. The T6 model I put in my RS5 has greater capacity than OEM and it's like 15.75lbs. The smaller ATX30 at 5.5lbs is quite a bit less than the OEM stocker but a little more reserve capacity than the Odyssey 925t. The 925t couldn't sit for more than about a week without sticking it on a Battery Tender but the ATX30 seems to be fine at a week. If it ends up being too small I'll spend the extra money and throw the larger T6 model in like I have the in the RS5. With the T6 you get a Bluetooth capable battery and you just download Antigravity's Bluetooh app to your phone. It will tell you normal battery charge plus you can do a Cranking test and a Charging test with it. Both batteries have the Reserve "Restart" feature so it never drains down enough to leave you stranded. So obviously some cool microeletctronics involved, but yes, you pay for it as they are not cheap.

eurovintage
April 13th, 2021, 21:00
Hi Hahn,
Thanks great info. We are getting inquiries from car manufacturers. Apparently the Start-Stop features are causing Lead Acid batteries
problems, they have significantly shorter life than normal for that application.
Ours have passed Navy and Data centre Float test (3 Year tests !).

hahnmgh63
April 14th, 2021, 01:10
Do you work for ZAFSYS? Do they retail batteries? I notice you mentioned HMMWV's, the latest contract for our are for Optima's (Were a good battery Lead/Acid battery 15yrs ago but not since they started manufacturing them in Mexico), Dual batteries mounted in series since the Mil. HMMWV's use a 24v electrical system. The only reason they last ok in the HMMWV application is there is almost no parasitic drain in most versions with engines off.

eurovintage
April 14th, 2021, 03:23
Hi Hahn,
I am a shareholder and to certain extent adivsor in business development for them. There is a Canadian Content (Mining) also.
We can go up to 48 V in a single battery without problems. At the moment we have only production capacity for the military contracts.
If You are interested we can talk more privately (Ivan_Lessner@telus.net).
Cheers

lswing
April 25th, 2021, 00:41
Thanks for all the detailed info. Looking into my options here!

lswing, before you go that route you might consider a Lithium. I'm now using Antigravity Lithium batteries in my '74 911 w/3.6ltr motor (3lbs), '87 944 Turbo (4lbs), RS5 (15.5lbs), RS6 (5.75lbs). They are definitely more expensive but you get an even lighter battery but with more cranking amps and reserve capacity compared to the Odyssey 925t. The RS5 is using a T6 with and the RS6 I'm using an ATX-30 which is 20lbs less than the 925t and has more cranking amps. You look at the square plastic box and pick it up and it almost feels like it's empty. The T6 is a much bigger battery, it has about the same cranking amps and Reserve capacity as the OEM battery but only weights 15.5lbs. Due to the RS5's more advanced electronics and battery monitoring it would give strange faults and over voltage spikes when I tried to use the smaller ATX-30. The battery started the car fine but while operating it would give problems. The Alternator/battery management is controlled to do weird things, when coasting it will slightly overcharge the battery and then when on full throttle it will only trickle charge and use off the battery. They call it regeneration, nothing to do with regenerative braking, I think all of the newer Audi's have it now.