PDA

View Full Version : do you consider your car to be a future collectible?

kismetcapitan
August 4th, 2011, 17:56
it's not the first RS Audi, but the C5 RS6 *was* the first RS model officially imported into the United States, and the first RS version of the A6. It was built when Audi still did only one RS model at a time and was limited production, in many ways similar to the original run of M-series BMWs.

I remember when E30 M3s were under $10K; now you're lucky to find one in the high teens, and if it's in good shape, it'll push $30K. Original M6s followed a similar price curve over the years.

Only 8 years old, I have a feeling that perhaps the RS6 has hit, or will hit a low of around $20,000 used. Do you feel that it'll start appreciating after that? Or is the car too obscure and off everyone's radar for demand to affect the value of these 800 cars, say ten years from now?

4everRS
August 4th, 2011, 23:53
It will take time IMO. I do think they will be collectable, but there will be pretty specific criteria like all collectables. Particularly mileage. There are plenty of models, domestic and import, from the 60's and 70's that are very limited run cars fetching very high prices.

peiserg
August 5th, 2011, 00:41
Lol definitely not mine. I drive mine almost every day when the NSX or FGT aren't out to play. I've got 71k miles, curb rash on all 4 wheels, and the interior is peeling like a futhermucker. The previous owner, who kept this car under virtual plastic wrap for me for 4 years (putting a grand total of 4600 miles on her in 4 years) would have a stroke to see what daily driving does.

ntrcptr
August 5th, 2011, 01:22
this is exactly my explanation to my wife .. when i bought the car. an "investment":hahahehe::addict::applause:

speedtrapped
August 5th, 2011, 05:14
as the mkt has shown, maybe $ well spent, unless your ss SPX ur short termed screwed.

DHall1
August 5th, 2011, 05:58
Who knows?? It will come down to supply and demand. Hell, we will all be driving $hit boxes by the time 2025 rolls around. Ethanol will be at 50% mixture and the farmers in Iowa will own the best looking Gumpert's money can buy. Oh yeah, and not even the farmers will run the stupid corn $hit gasoline.

I'm just happy my RS6 sits out in the garage next to my Supra and I get to take them for a spin from time to time. Everyone else can enjoy their tin can cafe standard $hit boxes and GTF out of the left lane.

Drive the beast and enjoy it.

vr430
August 5th, 2011, 15:42
Mine is a 116,000 mi daily driver. Screw investment, enjoy... Oh, and what D said - "GTF out of the left lane".

Chung
August 5th, 2011, 17:18
I don't think they will be but who knows. I plan to keep mine to find out though.

kilian tuning
August 5th, 2011, 19:32
yes, if they are used by criminal activities...

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/71a663cbf05c4600a65fef3a4c2b674b.jpg

mmaturo
August 5th, 2011, 22:09
Gave up on the thought as the servicing and reliability was too much for me as an early owner to hang on to it after warranty ran out...and at 86K and the number of parts and transmissions replaced and paint touch ups from parking lot/street parking wounds in Chicago mine was not going to be one to be collected. That said i do think the prices hit bottom already. I did get more for trade in when i actually did it than the same dealership offered me an entire year and 10K earlier. I think it will be an interesting rare car in the future but not one known or sought after. PS...there was way more than 800 imported as we keep correcting people here.

Stephencl
August 5th, 2011, 23:03
Okay, going to chime in here.....yes, I think it will absolutely be a collectable. Will take some time. I would think that over the next 4-5 years values will creep back up for nice, low mileage examples. Cars over 100K will not gain value. I would bet that in 2015 an example with 30-45K miles will bring 40K+. This car is an Icon in the UK and Germany. It will have a cult like following, and those that believe will buy and pay the premium to drive it.

I have sold one too many Porsche 928 GTS in my life....I have seen this movie before. We are just getting out of the depreciation cycle.

Rspring
August 7th, 2011, 14:05
From Audzine: Not driving your car to keep the resale value high is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she will be more appealing to the next guy.

Jimmy
August 9th, 2011, 20:43
From Audzine: Not driving your car to keep the resale value high is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she will be more appealing to the next guy.

Well said ! I feel the same way.

I think it will be many, MANY years before these will be worth $$ like say an old SL or Gullwing type of 'investment' car; the ur-quatrros don't even command much money today and they're almost ,what, 30 years old?...for sure with the exclusivity and low numbers in the USA the good ones (well kept RS6s I mean) will hopefully always be 20 grand-ish. Of course the low mile cherry ones will certainly command more money, just like any other car...what ever the value of money is in the future. Just my (useless) 2 cents gents.

40 grand in 2015 will prolly buy a new loaded up Honda Civic...think about it. Not sayin' I'd buy one tho...I'd choose the cherry low mile RS6 of course....but I see my RS6 still in the stable in 2015 next to the old SL. 8-)

DHall1
August 9th, 2011, 21:06
Well, I put 5k/yr on my RS6 so its mostly weekends and a few road trips. Not like the lady is put away for a better day. Ha

I do now drive my E55 everyday so there is no chance that lady is not getting a workout.

Check the prices on the Prius lately? I rest my case. E55 everyday and RS6 on the weekends. The people driving the Civics and Kias need to just stay out of the left lane.

Well said ! I feel the same way.

I think it will be many, MANY years before these will be worth $$ like say an old SL or Gullwing type of 'investment' car; the ur-quatrros don't even command much money today and they're almost ,what, 30 years old?...for sure with the exclusivity and low numbers in the USA the good ones (well kept RS6s I mean) will hopefully always be 20 grand-ish. Of course the low mile cherry ones will certainly command more money, just like any other car...what ever the value of money is in the future. Just my (useless) 2 cents gents.

40 grand in 2015 will prolly buy a new loaded up Honda Civic...think about it. Not sayin' I'd buy one tho...I'd choose the cherry low mile RS6 of course....but I see my RS6 still in the stable in 2015 next to the old SL. 8-)

Aronis
August 9th, 2011, 21:11
Mine is already collectible.

I'm collecting miles

Mike

JSRS6
August 9th, 2011, 22:39
Haha. Im at 1004xx. I got mine april of 2010, and it has probably seen usage about 350 of those days. I bought it with 68k...Think mine qualifies as a DD??

na1mt
August 9th, 2011, 23:29
I bought mine three years ago with just under 48k...I think it has 53k now.

ntrcptr
August 10th, 2011, 11:49
:doh:i'm confused about this anology... somehow it doesn't translate well into my thinking...:vhmmm:

ntrcptr
August 10th, 2011, 20:07
but then again .. I like to have sex with my wife about once every month:rs6kiss::fastm::0: