PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge reading error

Chung
August 4th, 2011, 16:28
I took my car in for A/C diagnostics and it came back with the gas gauge reporting a 1/4 under. i.e. I filled it up and it went to 3/4 of a tank even though I put the right amount of gas in.

Do any of the experts here think there is a correlation?

CornersWell
August 6th, 2011, 13:57
My gauge has always read strangely. Upon fill-up, it shows 100%. When I drive, it does show the fuel is depleting and the range is decreasing. However, when I get to about the5/8s point, it seems to stick, and when I turn the car off and then start it back up the next time I'm driving, it shows far less than what I thought I had in the tank and the last reading, and my range drops precipitously. I thought it was the fuel sending unit, but I've asked the dealer to look at it, and they say it's fine. Anyway, to this day, it drives me batty.

CW

Chung
August 6th, 2011, 17:11
I just found out from my friend that it read like this on my last fill up (he was driving the RS6 while I drove the CTS).

Before only filling the 3/4 of a tank is was off in the other direction in that it was about 1/8 of a tank optimistic.

I can only think something happened when my gas tank was replaced but Audi insists that everything is working ok.

mik15
December 11th, 2011, 05:52
any solution to this issue? It seems i am having the same problem, sometimes it work as it should then all of the sudden shows me no petrol at all and the message comes on the BC that i should refuel but the tank is at least half full, i think the issue only comes when the tank goes below 3/4...anyway it's annoying and i would like to fix it...

Chung
December 11th, 2011, 08:26
Nope mine is still broken. I think Audi broke something when then replaced the tank but they will not fess up.

mik15
December 11th, 2011, 08:27
how easy/hard is it to change the level reader in the tank? has the tank need to come off ?

ben916
December 11th, 2011, 14:06
IIRC, you have to drop the rear subframe to get the tank out to get to the sender/level reader/blah...

SAF
December 11th, 2011, 18:02
IIRC, you have to drop the rear subframe to get the tank out to get to the sender/level reader/blah...

Yeah, it's a huge PITA. Mine decides to loose a 1/4 tank overnight when I park it with anywhere near a quarter on the gauge. Start up in the morning and I'm suddenly on E with "0 Miles To Go". Been that way since they had my tank off years ago.

SzymekCRX
December 11th, 2011, 18:50
Yeah, it's a huge PITA. Mine decides to loose a 1/4 tank overnight when I park it with anywhere near a quarter on the gauge. Start up in the morning and I'm suddenly on E with "0 Miles To Go". Been that way since they had my tank off years ago.

Same issue here :)

JSRS6
December 11th, 2011, 20:28
Rarely, i will fill up and it will get midway between 3/4 and F. Normally it goes to F. When it doesn't, it still eventually goes all the way to F after driving for a few miles. Then there was that time in FL when it over reported the fuel level and we were stranded.

peiserg
December 19th, 2011, 03:44
Had the issue twice... both times it was the fuel sender. $1100 each time inc. labor.

SzymekCRX
December 19th, 2011, 06:41
You have to live with it :)

I tried to VAG COM the problem and it's not related to the electronics. The fules sender sometimes "hangs". Once it showed 3/4 @ full tank and most of the times it shows 0 @ 1/4 tank. It just goes to zero overnight when I leave my car @ 1/4.

One day I was thinking that somebody is literally stealing my gasoline ! :D

yokust
December 19th, 2011, 20:17
There are 3 level senders on the car.

I can almost 100% promise that the rear sender that is accessed from the trunk is jacked. It is very easy to mess these up when replacing the tank, or just get it hung up on somehting. They have to be very delicatly twisted in to there location

Chung
December 20th, 2011, 02:51
That really annoys me since I have had issues with my gas gauge since Audi replaced my tank but when I took it back they insisted that everything was ok and that it was probably my "chip"?

Maybe I need to call Audi again.

Jimmy Joe
December 20th, 2011, 03:18
Same thing here. After the Beast has been parked for a week or more with 1/4 tank or less, it shows 0 gas. I go by the odometer then until I fill it up and then everything is OK on the fuel gauge again.

SAF
December 20th, 2011, 22:50
So everyone experiencing this has had their tank out?

yokust
December 21st, 2011, 00:30
So everyone experiencing this has had their tank out?

No this is a common problem on any C5 quattro car. For the earlier cars there was a recall to replace all the senders (not rs6).

But even the newer cars have the same failures, but normally if the tank has been out and then this happens its almost always the third rear sensor

SzymekCRX
December 21st, 2011, 06:58
No this is a common problem on any C5 quattro car. For the earlier cars there was a recall to replace all the senders (not rs6).

But even the newer cars have the same failures, but normally if the tank has been out and then this happens its almost always the third rear sensor

Do You know how to get to this sensor ?

yokust
December 21st, 2011, 20:00
Thru the trunk, its under the carpet. There is a small access planel like under the back seat for the other two

Chung
December 22nd, 2011, 23:18
Do you happen to know the recall number? It might be time to ping the Audi and the Government again.