PDA

View Full Version : BMW 1-Series M: 3 ;Audi RS3: 0

tailpipe
August 1st, 2011, 18:16
The latest story on the 1-Series M versus the RS3 makes me very glad that I ordered an RS3. it seems that over-exuberant BMW owners are discovering that their 1-Series M aren't as sure-footed as Audi's RS offering, with at least three reported crashes. This one...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/08/bmw-1-series-m-coupe-crash-no3-south.html

...simply involved the driver swerving at speed to avoid a pedestrian.

AWD rules.

Joker
August 1st, 2011, 21:27
I hate seeing a 1M or any car in such a state but your statement of happy you bought an RS3 because of AWD is maybe an advertising program highlighting this fact. :hihi:

You hearing this Audi.

ChicagoAudi
August 1st, 2011, 22:56
Too many are suffering from the Walter Mitty syndrome, believing that they are highly skilled drivers!

The BMW 1-Series M may be a potent car; however, it does reek of old, less forgiving driving dynamics missing from many of today's automobiles. I've always wanted to see a comparison test involving ordinary drivers with a bit of training on the track with a BMW and an Audi. The drivers in the Audi will probably be quicker around the track plus more competent because of Audi's more stable platform.

The oversteer "thrill" that seems so appealing to auto journalists just scares the ordinary driver into making potentially large errors on the road.

Tuffy
August 8th, 2011, 09:26
Looks like we have our first RS3 casualty.......

http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-rs3-crash-we-dont-want-to-know/

tailpipe
August 8th, 2011, 13:42
I wouldn't call this a crash. It looks more like an 'off' and there isn't much damage. The truth is if anyone is stupid in either car, they will more than likely crash. That said, the RS3 has demonstrably higher limits of adhesion than the 1-Series M. The BMW's on the limit behaviour can surprise even the most skilled of drivers.

My choice of the RS3 over the BMW M3 let alone the 1-Series M is based on my experience with the E46 M3 which I owned for 3 years and a Golf VR6 which I owned for 6 years. The Golf was an infinitely better-built and more reliable car that was usable 365 days a year. The BMW started to fall apart after two years and hated winter driving as much as I hated driving it in winter. Ultimately, the M3 was a better handling car, but the joy of the Golf was its utter sure-footedness in all conditions. Its sheer A to B pace inspired great confidence.

All this makes me realise that most road-testers live with the cars they review for only a few hours let alone months or years. Were automotive comparisons based on a four week test, I think the conclusions would be very different.

SteveCuz
September 6th, 2011, 19:12
Saw a black 1M on the road today. No thanks!! Just looks wrong in every way, there was a M3 2 cars in front and it was so much nicer looking.

Sounded nice tho.

Didn't get a chance to play as it was rush hour but in this weather I would have left him for dead.

Steve

Aronis
October 18th, 2011, 01:10
I drove a 97 M3 for five years as my only car in New Hampshire and the way way upstate NY. Snow daily all winter.

M3 with Blizzaks never failed me! One rear shock mount broke with 50,000 miles on the clock.

So I'm not sure it was the snow that was an issue!!!

I went off the road once in the snow. In my 2000 A6! (ice under 8 inches snow)

:)