PDA

View Full Version : WHEN TCU's GO BAD

AUDI5000CSTQ
July 21st, 2011, 07:13
Thanks MaxRS6, found the new thread botton.
I upgraded to the euro charged ECU and the MTM TCU. and BND Aces IV
Would start the car and the dash gear selector indicator would have red background and black lettering, and feel like and old style worn clutch slipping. No CEL.
Would re start the car and dash would go back to black background and red letters and the trans would feel right.
This morning, took three re starts to get dash and trans right and CEL came on and stayed on.
Yes Dave I went to Alex my indy to pull the codes and this is what he found
18010 p1602 power supply terminal 30 B+ low voltage

18032 p1624 Mil request signal active (turn on CEL?)

17095 p0711 Trans fluid temp sensor (?)

17090 p0706 Temp range sporadic (?)

Don't know if I got the verbage right but the numbers are.

Alex has cleared the code and the car is so far running well.
I do not want to take it into Audi, just yet.
Nothing like a voided Fidelity Platinum warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this? bad solder?

Does this give you enough time and data Dave? Whould like
Plan is to send back to Hoppen the TCu.I think I willCall Hoppen first.

speedtrapped
July 21st, 2011, 19:18
power supply is the battery cable pull, as to the others sorry no help...tozo, pat, etc, etc can help. Hoppen did my TCU a year ago, no problems...if they didnt exist prior, call hoppen and explain

lswing
July 21st, 2011, 20:30
Wow, that seems like a lot of codes that could be unrelated to the TCU unit. I am inexperienced, but when we just torched the solder on my TCU, there were no codes at all (from the TCU that is). Maybe the TCU is messing with the system, your mech should be able to confirm, just pull the TCU and scan again....

Or buy another TCU to have on hand while Hoppen double checks yours. I've sent my other one with the MTM chip and broken solder (by my mech) back to them, Mike was great to talk with.

Good luck...

V8weight
July 21st, 2011, 22:48
I'm not Dave, but the 17095 code is for trans fluid temp sensor implausible signal. This is probably unrelated to your TCU swap, and has probably been there for a while. You need to replace the transmission harness to replace the temp sensor, but this doesn't effect driveability, and is a pretty common fault.

The 17090 code you quoted wrong. Its a Range sensor circuit malfunction, and is the direct result of a bad solder joint on your TCU chip....ask me how I know...

lswing
July 22nd, 2011, 00:54
The 17090 code you quoted wrong. Its a Range sensor circuit malfunction, and is the direct result of a bad solder joint on your TCU chip....ask me how I know...

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind...

ben916
July 22nd, 2011, 05:07
I'm not Dave, but the 17095 code is for trans fluid temp sensor implausible signal. This is probably unrelated to your TCU swap, and has probably been there for a while. You need to replace the transmission harness to replace the temp sensor, but this doesn't effect driveability, and is a pretty common fault.

How do you know????

AUDI5000CSTQ
July 22nd, 2011, 06:18
Thank you all, "the brain trust"
You have been more than helpfull.
With just the 17090 code I will return the TCU to Mike after calling him.
I wont need to buy another TCU, This is not my daily driver.
A tank of gas can last me about a month.
I think Dave drives his more than I do mine.

MyJuliet
July 22nd, 2011, 08:43
17090 code, you misquoted. From the sensor circuit failure, but TCU is a direct result of your bad solder joints on chip.

4everRS
July 22nd, 2011, 15:16
damn spammer. Get outa here ya jackhole

hahnmgh63
July 23rd, 2011, 15:29
Yea, joined 2 days ago and has 3 posts already. Very informative posts though....Oh yea, he just copied and re-pasted Pat's post. So nothing really informative.