PDA

View Full Version : rear brake calipers any mono bloc options

johnnie27
July 20th, 2011, 05:15
Hi all, does anyone know if there are any bolt up replacement MONO BLOC rear calipers for our RS , its purely asthetic Vain resons i just want to be like AMG and have my car look purposeful front and rear

many thanks for some input

john

marklar182
July 20th, 2011, 13:53
Open your wallet and call Movit http://www.movitbrakes.com/en/bremsanlagen/audi/rs-6-typ-b4/

johnnie27
July 20th, 2011, 15:29
i looked at that absurb pricing me thinks!! thanks though

JSRS6
July 20th, 2011, 15:53
I think grizz@unit20 has made an adapter to mate our front setup on the rear? Thought I remembered reading that in a thread a while back.

skribe
July 21st, 2011, 14:05
I think it looks dumb having enormous calipers on the rears, just adding unsprung weight when we all know most of the braking happens on the front wheels.

BUT I had the same thought re: aesthetics. I'm considering rebuilding my stock front calipers over winter and possibly changing the color to dark silver... but the rears would look ricey/stupid if they weren't black.

I have to think some vendor somewhere has fabbed up a boxter caliper adapter for some other audi that would work...

I think boxster calipers would look great, like a 2/3 scale version of the fronts. They are all over ebay all the time and not stupid expensive.

kismetcapitan
July 21st, 2011, 14:25
I suppose if you just want to burn some cash, going to fixed rear calipers is one way to do it. But in terms of performance, there are a couple things to consider:
- brake balance. More powerful rears can lead to some spooky moments with the tail wagging under hard braking. Audi didn't put massive 8-pot Brembos up front, and then floating calipers in back to save a few bucks. They did it to balance front/rear brake bias. Which BMW M-series cars uses fixed versus floating calipers? Ever look at the massive brakes on a Mercedes CL65 AMG? Floaters.
- actual increased performance. The stock RS 8-pots are epic. The *only* true step up from that would be monobloc racing calipers (that means cast as a single piece of metal - AMG brakes are fixed, but NOT monobloc calipers), and CCM rotors with appropriate pads. That's a $30,000 brake setup.

As the stock rear brakes are floating, you will need a custom bracket made. Those are easy to have fabricated and usually not expensive. Choose the calipers you think will look nice and bolt it up. And then...you need to balance the brake bias. And that's not easy. There are a few ways of going about that - brake line restrictors, twin master cylinders with an adjustable balance pipe between them (will have to delete ABS), etc....

arS6
July 22nd, 2011, 06:08
I think grizz@unit20 has made an adapter to mate our front setup on the rear? Thought I remembered reading that in a thread a while back.

I heard the same too. I've tried sending him a PM and got no response. =(

kismetcapitan
July 22nd, 2011, 06:14
did anyone actually move the front calipers to the rear? I bet full braking and trying to keep the car stable was, ah, entertaining.

There's a reason why you never see more than 4-pots on the rears, and that's with tail-heavy cars like the Porsche 911, or mid-engined overweight cars like a Murcielago.

One of the reasons why I love the RS6 - no brake upgrade required.

johnnie27
July 22nd, 2011, 09:18
thanks everyone for the feedback, i just thought it looks daggy mostly yes she brakes great sure

but on cars that cost over 230K here when new i just figured that they would have made it match a little nicer, my EVO 6 (1999) has front rear brembo's be it 4 and 2 pot, as does the STI..all AMG cars bar the ML (OPTION ONLY HERE) here seem to have them, all porches as i like to call them as the asthetic never changes have them...seems a shame that the RS car do not have nice looking calipers the whole way around thats all....i gues with BMW they work great but all 4 calpipers look like a camry.......i am paiting my fronts and have no-idea what to do with the rears...as coloured daggy calipers look even more gay me thinks....maybe i'll just wrap them in tincyl

Elevens
July 22nd, 2011, 16:53
One of the reasons why I love the RS6 - no brake upgrade required.

Maybe no upgrade required, but there is room for Improvement. There is a C6 RS6 setup (390mm rotors) which with the necessary adapters fit on our cars and tremendously reduce stopping distances. That happens to be my next project as soon as money permits. Wanna go fast, better be able to stop..............

kismetcapitan
July 22nd, 2011, 20:52
Maybe no upgrade required, but there is room for Improvement. There is a C6 RS6 setup (390mm rotors) which with the necessary adapters fit on our cars and tremendously reduce stopping distances. That happens to be my next project as soon as money permits. Wanna go fast, better be able to stop..............

true, but the focus is really on the fronts, isn't it? With more powerful fronts, matching rears are then required. Doing the rears only is, well, pointless really.

AND, it should be noted that if you've got the full 420mm carbon ceramic C6 brake setup...your rear caliper is still...a SINGLE PISTON FLOATING CALIPER!

Bigger calipers with more brake pad surface area, usually with more pistons, all else being equal (and it often is not), will increase stopping power in a single full-power stop.
Bigger rotors will help combat brake fade. Rotor material makes a difference. Carbon ceramic has its obvious benefits, but certain downsides as well. Pure carbon,well as long as you can keep them extremely hot....don't know if they're made for cars, but on bikes, ductile iron rotors offer an advantage over steel rotors, at the expense of longevity.
Master cylinder must be matched to the calipers being used.
Don't underestimate the effect of high quality brake fluid. Yes, Castrol SRF is over $80/liter. It's worth it.
And the lowly brake pad. By making certain tradeoffs, such as brake dust, or cold pad performance, you can dramatically increase the friction coefficient. On all my vehicles, cars and bikes, I tend to go for pads that are truly crap when cold, but have a hell of a lot more grip once heated up. When starting out on a cold day, I have learned to drag the brakes a bit while driving or riding to heat up the pads.

Elevens
July 23rd, 2011, 00:21
true, but the focus is really on the fronts, isn't it? With more powerful fronts, matching rears are then required. Doing the rears only is, well, pointless really.

AND, it should be noted that if you've got the full 420mm carbon ceramic C6 brake setup...your rear caliper is still...a SINGLE PISTON FLOATING CALIPER!

Bigger calipers with more brake pad surface area, usually with more pistons, all else being equal (and it often is not), will increase stopping power in a single full-power stop.
Bigger rotors will help combat brake fade. Rotor material makes a difference. Carbon ceramic has its obvious benefits, but certain downsides as well. Pure carbon,well as long as you can keep them extremely hot....don't know if they're made for cars, but on bikes, ductile iron rotors offer an advantage over steel rotors, at the expense of longevity.
Master cylinder must be matched to the calipers being used.
Don't underestimate the effect of high quality brake fluid. Yes, Castrol SRF is over $80/liter. It's worth it.
And the lowly brake pad. By making certain tradeoffs, such as brake dust, or cold pad performance, you can dramatically increase the friction coefficient. On all my vehicles, cars and bikes, I tend to go for pads that are truly crap when cold, but have a hell of a lot more grip once heated up. When starting out on a cold day, I have learned to drag the brakes a bit while driving or riding to heat up the pads.

Don't know much about the Ceramics. Don't wont to know either, insane amount of money. Some of those boys over there in the UK have been using the C6 RS6 setup for some time now and have reported major improvements in stopping power over the stock setup. I just believe in using what has been tried and proven. As for the rears I definitely would not touch them, no need to. 90%-95% of all the stopping power is from the front any way. I am not racing So I don't need any critical biasing between front and rear braking, just good old straight line stopping in case I have to drop my anchor in a hurry. I hope we haven't gotten slightly off topic here, since this was supposed to be about rear calipers.......................

kismetcapitan
July 23rd, 2011, 18:10
with unbalanced fronts and rears (rears more powerful than front), very hard straight line stopping can be thrown off and you can suddenly find yourself pointing in the wrong direction unless you're on a billiard table. ask me how I know...

hahnmgh63
July 24th, 2011, 04:05
I think Grizz (Unit 20), besides using the cast iron RS6 C6 rotors up front (390mm) also has a kit to use the C5 RS6 front rotors (365mm) on the rear but using our same front & rear calipers. Even if you had more rear stopping power I don't think your going to find a huge balance difference as the anti-lock system would just kick in earlier on the rear to release brake pressure.

kismetcapitan
August 2nd, 2011, 19:41
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakebiasandperformance.shtml

requiring your ABS system to constantly correct a rear brake bias will...well, how much is an Audi ABS pump? You'll be changing it so often you'll have the part number memorized...