PDA

View Full Version : How are you guys removing the two tought to get at exhaust manifold nuts?

hahnmgh63
July 13th, 2011, 04:37
What brand of socket are you using? 13mm? I guess I don't have a thin wall enough socket that works. 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive?

V8weight
July 13th, 2011, 14:13
No personal experience, but are they like the downpipe and turbo nuts where you can use a #12 triple square?

hahnmgh63
July 13th, 2011, 14:20
There are 12 nuts to remove. 10 are easy and take a 10mm socket. 2 are buried within the exhaust manifold and must take a special thin wall 13mm socket of some sort to get out. I've tried all my 13mm 3/8" & 1/4" drive sockets to no avail so I guess I'm going to have to do some more tool shopping.

V8weight
July 13th, 2011, 14:24
I understand what you're saying, I was just wondering if an M12 triple square can be inserted internally in the top of the nut like the downpipe nuts?

hahnmgh63
July 13th, 2011, 14:29
Good idea Pat. I'm not hearing where your coming from. I'll have to shine a light down the little hole and take a better look. Seems like all of the smaller nuts are stainless or at least high nickel content and look like new but the 4 (2 per side) nuts down the imbedded holes in the manifold are just plain steel and prone to rust like the downpipe nuts and will definitely need replacing.

4everRS
July 13th, 2011, 16:18
Pat is saying that those nuts may be similar to the nuts on the turbo studs which are hex, but a triple square bit can also be inserted inside the nut to remove them.

Have you tried a 12 point socket? They have thinner walls than 6 point's

vodeftones
July 14th, 2011, 00:40
Don't those nuts have 7mm or 8mm allen on the inside of the nut? I might be wrong though

hahnmgh63
July 14th, 2011, 01:11
You and Pat are probably right. I'm going out to take a look in a few minutes. Probably either triple square or hex/allen. I only looked at it a little without a real bright light to shine in there. I'll report back and kick myself if it is that easy and I overlooked it with a one track (nut looking for the right socket) mind.

hahnmgh63
July 14th, 2011, 03:55
Damn you guys are sharp and I am...... Well, I tried some Allen wrenches last night out of my wonder German Hazet set yesterday and no luck so I was sure I needed a thin wall socket. So after hearing for you smarter people I went back and looked better and noticed that my Hazet set went from 6mm to 8mm. Went to my other set and grabed a 7mm and it worked like a charm....SHIT. Well I got them off and only one stud came loose with the nuts. I'm going to run and drop them off tomorrow to have them Ceramic coated so they should be done by early next week then I'll be ready to rebolt the Turbo's on the car. I finally feel like I'm making progress on this project instead of just dumping thousands into it. Thanks again guys, I can't believe it was something so simple.

4everRS
July 14th, 2011, 03:59
Good to hear you got them out.