PDA

View Full Version : OT: BND Automotive

Chung
July 5th, 2011, 22:34
Has anyone been able to get ahold of Brian at BND recently? I have tried leaving a message and emailed the past couple of weeks and have not gotten a response.

V8weight
July 6th, 2011, 01:40
Haven't tried lately, but I switched back to Lubro Moly months ago.....for personal reasons. No more BND stuff in my car.

4everRS
July 6th, 2011, 01:50
I concur

s42ski
July 6th, 2011, 05:31
Spoke with Brian today - ordering some fluids for other cars.. Sounds like he has been busy. Why switching away from BND? Still a fan here.

wmgarton
July 6th, 2011, 06:58
What about Aces? Do you still use that or an alternitive?

speedtrapped
July 6th, 2011, 13:45
i still use ace-v for both vehicles, as far as oil goes, I reordered for the beast. Brian is tough sometimes to reach

Chung
July 6th, 2011, 16:23
Good to know. I was just worried something had happened.

papadoc
July 6th, 2011, 16:27
Just completed an order with Brian, though I got the impression he was swamped. He told me that he has 115 RS6 owners buying from him, a pretty hefty percentage of the US owners. This past order, I sent an email, called after no response, placed the order, waited 10 days and called again, finally got stuff shipped. I'm thinking of loading up with my own inventory of ACES IV and oil to last a while. Still a very happy customer, and I don't want to go back to finding 100 octane gas to run the higher octane ECU setup. If anyone has a reasonable and honest alternative to ACES IV, speak up. Haven't heard of any...

Hy Octane
July 6th, 2011, 17:31
Just spoke to him today as well Ordered some Aces and oil. Whats the problem with V8 and 4ever?
He;s sending me an oil filter to use.,..is it safe?

speedtrapped
July 6th, 2011, 17:38
brian, implored me as well on the filter....says his filter filters 10microns, and stock rs6 is 20microns, that said I am only going by his word. I have had his oil analyzied, it contains everything he claims

MaxRS6
July 6th, 2011, 17:45
I just do the stock up routine and keep extra on the back shelf. When the back shelf gets used, I order to replenish the shelf so it will be there when needed. I utilize OEM filters.

BND needs to let me set them up with a professional accounting system and web store for orders/invoices/tracking..

V8weight
July 6th, 2011, 17:47
Pitch the filter......It's a Wix filter with a BND sticker on it, the bypass valve pressure is incorrect, and they do not properly thread onto out already fragile oil filter adapter. Just my two cents....

Hy Octane
July 6th, 2011, 17:57
Thanks.. But why have you stopped using his stuff?

MORS6
July 6th, 2011, 22:15
I was going to try the Aces fuel additive. Should I go another route?

hahnmgh63
July 6th, 2011, 23:10
I'm still using the AcesIV in all of my gas engines. Audi, Porsche, CBR1000RR, hell, I even use it in my Husqvarna riding lawnmower. I haven't tried any of their other products though. I have been a Redline oil fanatic for over 10 years and anytime I've had a valve cover off or anything else the engines/transmissions have looked clean with no perceptible wear on cam lobes and such.

Chung
July 7th, 2011, 00:32
Just my opinion here, but I wouldn't go too overboard with V8Weight and 4everRS changing to something else. I think if it were harmful, not useful, etc, he would have said so instead of saying it was for personal reasons.

With some persistence I was able to contact Brian and get my order in. Thanks for the responses.

@MaxRS6 Agree 100% and I was thinking that as I was talking to Brian on the phone. Websites these days are not hard and even integration into QuickBooks cannot be that complicated.

Brav
July 7th, 2011, 00:34
I had same trying to get Brian recently. He did finally return the call a few days ago while I was out of town. Pat I am curious of what your concerns are?

4everRS
July 7th, 2011, 02:46
Sorry guys, mine are primarily convience items. I believe what brian about his fluids. Not keen on the filters. If he gets a better system for orders and distribution, I'll likely change my mind.

V8weight
July 7th, 2011, 03:54
I can buy everything that Aces is made of at my local Menards.......that's as far as I'm going with this. I know when to admit I've been taken.....

DHall1
July 7th, 2011, 05:33
Yeeks, I dont have a local Menards down here in AZ. Guess I'm stuck with Aces.

I just cant get around the performance gains from Aces. I will do some gas mileage tests next week.

Sent a email to Brian this morning. I had a reply in 2 hrs. My order is shipped and fedex tracking was sent tonight. I dont see a problem.

skribe
July 8th, 2011, 23:41
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=gallon+of+toluene+for+sale&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1308&bih=759&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5020947621497765037&sa=X&ei=4YYXTuDPFoft0gHhroGXBQ&ved=0CFwQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers

marklar182
July 9th, 2011, 01:26
Rocket Fuel!!!!!!

My 300Z drinks that stuff like water :0 You can get 5gal pails at Sherwin Williams.

Tends to burn the eyes a bit with no cats, haha!

s42ski
July 9th, 2011, 02:35
Is the links meant to indicate that ACES IV is Toulene? I don't think so - that stuff would evaporate sitting in the car on a hot day. Which ACES IV has not in my car. If you think you have the recipe for ACES would be curious as to how it was back engineered out?

DHall1
July 9th, 2011, 07:09
I got a fresh batch of popcorn all cooked up.

Let the games begin.

My car? Runs like the wind on the Aces and even in this 100+ degree heat it flat out screams.

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a476/drh11/popcorn.jpg

DHall1
July 9th, 2011, 07:28
If everyone is so worked up about a 200 dollar bottle of Aces then why are you not forming the riots against the FED who printed trillions out of thin air and handed it to foreign bankers? hmm? 383 billion to Credit Swisse...407 billion to Deutsche Bank? Oh never mind inflation and what that did to the money you and I have sitting in the bank.

We need to hang BND? Super

papadoc
July 9th, 2011, 16:42
^^what he said. Just received my order yesterday with another gallon of ACES IV and 9 qts of oil. As has been noted before, how can you not like a product that has your name personalized on the label? ;-). Well, this arrived prior to my mid level service next week. I'm planning on having the shop save my sparkplugs and some of the drained Quantum Blue oil. Have been using ACES since before the last oil change and have about 8000 miles in with Quantum Blue in the engine. Running 100 octane tune on my APR chip full time. I'll try to post pics.
I've yet to see any of the bashers give their recipe for ACES that they pour into their own car. It ain't toluene...

marklar182
July 9th, 2011, 17:53
*I dont use any additives in my RS6 BTW.

I do use toluene in my Z. No cats. I have moved towards C16 in the past years.

My mix is 1oz of Mobil Syn Dexron 3 ATF, 1oz MMO to 1 gallon of toluene.

I wait until the tank is below E, take the 5gal pail of toluene mix to the gas station, put it in the tank then fill up with 93oct (~14gal, tank is 19gal). That makes ~98.5oct.

Never had a ping even at upwards of 23psi of boost and no timing pulled :)

skribe
July 9th, 2011, 19:09
Show me the dyno.

I forgot, add the tranny fluid to make it red and slippery and the acetone to start eating up your seals.

With a little research, you can read about Jay Hill of American Clean Energy Systems, Jay's political contributions to Arlen Specter, Arlen Specter's talking up his additive to help him secure a 50k DOE grant to have ACES studied at Penn State, a study which either never happened or produced no results ACES would ever publish... why?

You can read the same anecdotal talking points and hype from 2004 copied and pasted over and over and no tangible proof of performance anywhere, no before and after dynos or data logs, just a video of an additive burning in a soda can, guys in car forums paying a bunch of money and waiting forever for their products to ship, talking to the BND guy on the phone for an hour, then reporting how much faster their car feels... with no tangible proof ever.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next internet crank, but if this stuff was the miracle it claims to be, it would be in wide use by now, not a secret. If it could improve economy like it claims to, why would major transport companies not be all over it, why would a major refiner not have bought it out as a proprietary competitive advantage...

Talk to anybody on an actual race team about catalysts.

Show me the dyno.

s42ski
July 9th, 2011, 22:33
Skribe,

I hear you on the dyno runs - difficulty is getting the the pre and post with the fuel mixture. Since the differences are small you might see them on the dyno and you might not. As for why has ACES not been picked up by a major company? Most people buy gas based on one thing - price. That is why we have lines for twenty minutes to get gas at Costco to save 10c a gallon. The major oil makers market that the fuel "cleans" the engine. I know that Chevron which is a top tier gas uses about one 12 oz. bottle of its Techron for each tanker truck (40,000 gallons or so). So the benefit of that is nill and the cost added is also nill. The major oil refineries try to lower there cost basis to increase the profit - period.

BTW this is not just me spouting off - I have couple friends that are chemical engineers and work at the Chevron El Segundo refinery. I have asked them about ACES and they say that the claims are possible, but they would need to do chemical tests etc. Neither of them are car guys (Prius and a Honda Civic)

We are a very select bunch on this forum - we actually care about what goes into our car(s). That is different than 99% of consumers that buy gas.

For me I feel a difference ( as unscientific as that may sound) and if it helps with upper cylinder lubrication even better.

papadoc
July 10th, 2011, 00:17
5 gallons of toluene per tank does not equal 3 ounces per tank. Still waiting for someone to say they have a mixture in that amount that lets them run higher octane tunes irrespective of the type of chip and get the performance gain. With any standard tune, I would expect the difference in HP/torque to be measurable but small, and therefore the butt dyno may be overreacting. But running smooth with 100 octane setting comparable to a tank full of race gas at $7/gallon out here is noticeable. That said, I agree with you Skribe. I do plan to go to 034 Motorsport in a few weeks to do some dyno pulls with various tune settings and ACES in the tank. Would love to see others do the same. 115 RS6 owners can't all be wrong...

speedtrapped
July 10th, 2011, 00:26
I have had the oil tested. I took a clean sample and shipped a little bottle. The analysis came back, i have to find it somewhere in my home office, good mineral base, and then 3 additives that have proven to help with lubricity, sorry cant remeember their names, and that the amounts present were far more then standard motor oil. So i will continue to buy. When i find it i will post the document up. As far as aces go, hell i think someone here, maybe Pat broke it down to toluene, atf, amd something else....toluene does increase octane and as PO said, very volatile....i will pay for the pre mix, btw if any of you have meth kit, i run snow stage 3, thier boost juice is red(dye), $24 for 4 gallons, shipping $22.00 more, $11per gallon of winshield washer fluid, actually a 60/40 split. I can buy a can of methanol in 5 gallon can, but dont feeling keeping so,ething like that in my garage...just saying

DHall1
July 10th, 2011, 13:54
Don't hate me because I exposed Garrett Lam or whatever is name is from GIAC. Its 5:30 I need to go crack 80 today.

DHall1
July 18th, 2011, 02:07
Starting my own Aces fuel mileage test. I have run repeated tanks of non-aces thru our E55. Result was 19mpg combined. Running Aces at 1oz/6gal for the next 3 tanks.

Get yer popcorn.

MaxRS6
July 18th, 2011, 02:12
^^ Wheeeeeeeeee

<IFRAME height=349 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/slldMEPvUqA" frameBorder=0 width=425 allowfullscreen></IFRAME> (file://<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/slldMEPvUqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

4everRS
July 18th, 2011, 03:32
Do an octane test too.

papadoc
July 18th, 2011, 05:14
I've also got a container of the Quantum Blue drained after 8K miles that will go to Blackstone for analysis. Was all set to do some dyno runs but my recent major service has gone sideways as detailed on another thread, so that will have to wait.

DHall1
July 19th, 2011, 02:29
Might you have a procedure to get this done

Do an octane test too.

hahnmgh63
July 19th, 2011, 03:15
Yea, I think it takes that special 1 cylinder variable compression engine that SAE has. I'm sure it is cheap.

V8weight
July 19th, 2011, 03:19
Yea, I think it takes that special 1 cylinder variable compression engine that SAE has. I'm sure it is cheap.
Pretty sure my lawn mower has one of those....

DHall1
July 19th, 2011, 03:21
Closing my account here....just too much fun. I will snail mail my BND results to crazy in a couple of weeks.

Pretty sure my lawn mower has one of those....

4everRS
July 19th, 2011, 03:26
LOL, Dave, your awesome. Consider this like a healthcare plan for you. We are working hard on getting your blood flowing.
Closing my account here....just too much fun. I will snail mail my BND results to crazy in a couple of weeks.

Here's Dave:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xuBRk6tjiUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

speedtrapped
July 19th, 2011, 03:38
Dave, just changed my oil after 1k miles since swap, mechanic used Audi spec I used BND albeit with a Mann filter. Going to het the used oil sent in for analysis. Happy using BND.

ben916
July 19th, 2011, 04:30
LOL, Dave, your awesome. Consider this like a healthcare plan for you. We are working hard on getting your blood flowing.

Here's Dave:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xuBRk6tjiUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O/T: LMAO!!!! what is that from?

4everRS
July 20th, 2011, 03:42
It's from Half Baked
O/T: LMAO!!!! what is that from?

On a related note, I just found this footage of Dave in his RV during a flash flood

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IkTw7J-hGmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTw7J-hGmg&feature=player_embedded)

DHall1
July 27th, 2011, 06:04
Aces tank 20mpg

Premium fuel tank 17mpg

Same gas station and mixed driving.

Testing is going forward for 3 more tanks of each.

Brav
July 27th, 2011, 16:44
There are no days I would ever get 20mpg combined. Only on long highway trips.

JSRS6
July 27th, 2011, 17:18
No kidding, I'm lucky if I get 250 out of a tank mostly city driving.

ben916
July 27th, 2011, 17:36
No kidding, I'm lucky if I get 250 out of a tank mostly city driving.

I got 293 last week...

JSRS6
July 27th, 2011, 19:37
:applause::applause::applause::applause::)

4everRS
July 27th, 2011, 19:43
hmmm. Interesting. Maybe dave had jerry at ec change his fueling so he is reading .95 volts on his lambdas. (hehe kidding dave)

BTW Dave, I have some logs of my car to send you to gaze at. I want to know what you think of the defference between my logs and the ones randy had from a while back.

DHall1
July 28th, 2011, 03:36
As noted earlier in the thread. Testing is on my E55 with Eurocharged tuning.

The difference in miles traveled is actually surprising. The aces tank just seems to keep going and going and going.

Still testing.

Send yer logs^^

MaxRS6
July 28th, 2011, 03:45
...BTW Dave, I have some logs of my car to send you to gaze at. I want to know what you think of the defference between my logs and the ones randy had from a while back.

Hey there Kyle..if you want to send them to me, I can put them together side by side at the same rpms. I'll send you my email if you would like me to do this. I'm more than happy to do it.

Dave: If you need mine again back when it was running normally for the Kyle comparo, just let me know.

MaxRS6
July 28th, 2011, 03:46
I got 293 last week...

Are we talking golf scores again...;0

I've only put one tank of gas in my car in the past 3 months- LOL...00

MaxRS6
July 28th, 2011, 04:01
For what it is worth- The indy shop and 3 separate techs borescoped my car yesterday and while the engine was out last week. Each one of them commented on how great the cylinders looked at 150K and asked me about the gas I use. I told them I almost always utilize Shell 93, and a shot of Aces. All I know is- they were truly impressed with how the internals looked. I plan on taking them some Aces on my next trip out there for them to check out. My less than .03 worth.....

4everRS
July 28th, 2011, 04:08
Thanks Randy. Email sent.
Hey there Kyle..if you want to send them to me, I can put them together side by side at the same rpms. I'll send you my email if you would like me to do this. I'm more than happy to do it.

Dave: If you need mine again back when it was running normally for the Kyle comparo, just let me know.

DHall1
July 28th, 2011, 05:28
It is not by chance that Gumpert selected the 4.2tt for his little rocket ship. As for Aces....3mpg difference? yeeks

For what it is worth- The indy shop and 3 separate techs borescoped my car yesterday and while the engine was out last week. Each one of them commented on how great the cylinders looked at 150K and asked me about the gas I use. I told them I almost always utilize Shell 93, and a shot of Aces. All I know is- they were truly impressed with how the internals looked. I plan on taking them some Aces on my next trip out there for them to check out. My less than .03 worth.....

Hy Octane
July 28th, 2011, 08:58
Just switched to the Quantum Blue from the Castrol 505.01 thats been it her since day 1.
The whole motor has smoothed out and quieted down some.. best analogy is its as if I added a can of STP to it. Runs about 15 degrees cooler and seems to pull a bit better too.
I am liking this ...car feels happy..

DHall1
August 4th, 2011, 03:16
Test results are holding true.

Non-aces premium have hit 16.8, 17 and 18. Filling up to check another tank tomorrow. Then proceed to log 3 average tanks of Aces+premium.

Aces tank 20mpg

Premium fuel tank 17mpg

Same gas station and mixed driving.

Testing is going forward for 3 more tanks of each.

vr430
August 5th, 2011, 22:54
I got 293 last week...

What tunes are running? With my MTM, my daily driver gets ~340miles to the gas tank. and I am using 91 octane Kwik Trip gas with no additives. I do get higher mileage in the winter when there is less @#$%ing ethanol in the gas.

Non-aces premium have hit 16.8, 17 and 18. Filling up to check another tank tomorrow. Then proceed to log 3 average tanks of Aces+premium.

At these mileages, you are getting close to 400mi on a 22gal tank. Or did you put in a larger gas tank?

DHall1
August 20th, 2011, 06:18
All tests are holding true.

On average...premium without aces is 17mpg

Premium with aces 19.4mpg

Wow