PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the next step?

T-elospathic
July 3rd, 2011, 23:03
I've got a GIAC ECU. K&N's.. the sexy black-tipped exhaust.. I need to get forged DVs still.

Any recommendations on upgrades? Both preventative upgrades/maintenance (I suppose) and performance enhancing upgrades are what I'm looking for. Pretty much anything short of replacing the turbo's and beyond.

speedtrapped
July 3rd, 2011, 23:22
Welcome.....gut DP's, check and see if the maintance records indicate the TC has been changed. The TC is a weak spot on car. If not, spend $ on replacing TC with ace, its custom and able to handle more torque. Another nice add on is meth injection. I use a stage 3 snow kit with dbl injection. Its set up for 2 parameters, boost and PW.

T-elospathic
July 4th, 2011, 00:40
Assuming you mean torque converter.. What's the symptoms of a bad one? I ask because I just had my transmission replaced about 10k ago (ugh that was a lotta money) and that included the TC, HOWEVER the mechanic was surprisingly brainless and I found out a week after receiving it that the transmission was 2.5L low on fluid (?! SERIOUSLY?) after taking it to the dealership and having them check it, due to the rough shifting it was doing. I'm inches away from replacing it again (pro bono, of course) due to the oddities I have since getting it back (such as, a feeling like the engine isn't transferring power to the wheels like it used to, it's slower and I really only get one good "punch" after starting my drive in the morning). Thoughts?

Also, what do you mean by DPs?

Meth injection eh, can you point me to a kit somewhere?

hahnmgh63
July 4th, 2011, 00:41
MTM TCU, LED rear tail lamps are a nice more modern upgrade. Forged wheels of some kind are lighter, stronger than the heavy cast OEM wheels. Do you like your GIAC software? Some have had problems with it in the RS6 but if your happy with it then just get the TCU done soon as it is only around $150 from Hoppen Motorsports.

T-elospathic
July 4th, 2011, 00:47
I love the GIAC chip. It does wonders for responsiveness and power, as well as toys with the TCU. It shifts way more on-demand (using tiptronic/paddles), and sport mode is more responsive. I suppose you could say, it's more "jumpy".

I want LED tails, but I like driving with my rear fogs on (I plan on wiring them to the brake circuit), and I think they might look stupid being incandescent with LED tails. It also seems like a lot of work to convert them to LED, unless you know of a kit?

Wheels are something I can never be satisfied with. I haven't found something I really like on my car. It's also not real easy to match anything but aluminum and perhaps black chrome with the charcoal exterior, so that makes picking some much harder :l

4everRS
July 4th, 2011, 13:25
as far as meth kits go, snow is good, but also take a look at Devils Own. I'll be installing mine this weekend and let you know what I think.

speedtrapped
July 4th, 2011, 14:53
Snow performance, auqamist are both good. DP's are the down pipes from turbos to primary cats, rhe stock DP has small pre cats in them, gutting them removes alot of backpressure. The o2 sensors can be coded out. Great sound and a little more oomph, if your concerned for emmissions, keep the larger cats on downstream.

DHall1
July 4th, 2011, 16:02
In one response you say the power is down but think its the transmission. Then you say the GIAC does wonders for power???

Which is it? I would suggest a VagCom datalogger purchase as you will need one moving forward with this car. GIAC software has not proven to deliver excellent results with the RS6.

I love the GIAC chip. It does wonders for responsiveness and power, as well as toys with the TCU. It shifts way more on-demand (using tiptronic/paddles), and sport mode is more responsive. I suppose you could say, it's more "jumpy".

I want LED tails, but I like driving with my rear fogs on (I plan on wiring them to the brake circuit), and I think they might look stupid being incandescent with LED tails. It also seems like a lot of work to convert them to LED, unless you know of a kit?

Wheels are something I can never be satisfied with. I haven't found something I really like on my car. It's also not real easy to match anything but aluminum and perhaps black chrome with the charcoal exterior, so that makes picking some much harder :l

speedtrapped
July 4th, 2011, 16:41
I think tozo and others can chime in, but any chip or flash to ecu does not reset shift points in tcu, u need to chip the tcu, hoppen in fl does it for $160.00 shipped, u have to remove the tcu and send it

marklar182
July 4th, 2011, 16:56
You probably already have the GIAC TCU chip, you can easily check as it is a big socketed chip in the TCU under the passenger carpet. I can tell you first hand the GIAC TCU chip fails in every way compared to MTM.

T-elospathic
July 4th, 2011, 19:28
The review on the GIAC chip is based off of the period I had it before having the transmission replaced. Do I have to ship the entire TCU, or just remove the EEPROM chip and send that in?

Also, please realize that the stock and GIAC are the only programs I've tried. I suppose I could get my stock eeprom tuned, and still run my GIAC during the waiting period though eh..

I'll look and see if I have the GIAC chip, but I doubt it..however, my TCU seems to think it came from an RS4. (written in Sharpie on top).

hahnmgh63
July 4th, 2011, 20:24
The RS4 never came with an Automatic so it must be a a confused guy marking it. You can ship the whole TCU to Hoppen and they'll do a one day turnaround (they solder in the new TCU chip, not a flash). Most of the ECU software changes are just software flashes done through the OBD2 port. I think the APR software is a chip but I believe the GIAC, Revo, Eurocharged, Viper, etc... are all flashes through the port so if you want to swap your Giac software for the ECU you just have to decide on who you want to use and find a dealer that can flash it or get a software loader which many tuners now sell to flash it yourself. The Eurocharged and Viper seem to be the flavor choice of the day lately. They have newer tunes and I'm sure they've been able to build upon and improve what others have done in the past, and both can customize certain parameters for your aftermarket accesories, Turbos, Downpipes, etc...

T-elospathic
July 4th, 2011, 20:29
I'll post a pic of the TCU, but I was definitely confused as well. It's odd..

My ECU EEPROM is in a little box in my glove box, and the GIAC chip is a whole new EEPROM. I can just plug in the stock chip any time I wish to go back, it's kinda neat, but I've never had the desire to switch back. I'm tempted to go Eurocharged.\ on the stock chip and compare the two.

DHall1
July 4th, 2011, 23:42
Thanks for the answer above on how the car was running before trans repair.

I would invest in the Vagcom and complete some data logs. Get the car sorted first and complete some GIAC data logs....then decide if gains can be made.

I'll post a pic of the TCU, but I was definitely confused as well. It's odd..

My ECU EEPROM is in a little box in my glove box, and the GIAC chip is a whole new EEPROM. I can just plug in the stock chip any time I wish to go back, it's kinda neat, but I've never had the desire to switch back. I'm tempted to go Eurocharged.\ on the stock chip and compare the two.

T-elospathic
July 5th, 2011, 06:41
Gots a VAGCOM, just new laptop and I've misplaced my software. I'll have to buy it or get the key from them before I can do any logging. I suspect I have an intercooler/turbo hose leak, which I'll confirm when I do the timing belt in a couple weeks.

P.s. I want the funny light to come on when I go from a halt :/

DHall1
July 5th, 2011, 06:59
Oh dont fall for the leaking intercooler trick....it will never solve a poorly running RS6. As for turbo hose leak? or hose popped? I doubt it as well.

Log some 2nd gear only pulls. 3,31,115 in turbo mode. 2800 to redline in 2nd gear only.

Then reset the ecu. You can pull battery cable for the quick and dirty way.

Drive the car for 20 minutes normally with a couple of short blips then perform the 2nd gear pull again with a data log.

Show us the results and the brain trust here will point you in the right direction.

Gots a VAGCOM, just new laptop and I've misplaced my software. I'll have to buy it or get the key from them before I can do any logging. I suspect I have an intercooler/turbo hose leak, which I'll confirm when I do the timing belt in a couple weeks.

P.s. I want the funny light to come on when I go from a halt :/

T-elospathic
July 5th, 2011, 07:06
Will do. The boost leak is mostly an annoyance.. I'll do the logging. In case this is familiar, when the turbo's kicked in before (before the tranny swap), it sounded like a bird chirping. Now I usually get either a steady whistle, or almost nothing. Every once and a while I get the chirping and it feels right. The whistle is kinda in-between, and when it's quiet, it feels like I souped up my A6 4.2 and am driving it instead..

hahnmgh63
July 5th, 2011, 14:27
If you have a fairly new and genuine Ross-Tech (Vagcom) cable there is no key code anymore (not in the last 5 or 6 years). The hardware in the cable keys the software. You will just need to download the software from Ross Tech and run a port test on the options page, then hit save and you should be good to go. If it is an aftermarket cable your on your own?

T-elospathic
August 29th, 2011, 05:45
Yeah it's aftermarket. I may just buy the official one. As for my power issues, it's the TC. Since the whole trans is under warranty, the whole setup is getting replaced starting tomorrow morning. I'll be gutting my DPs while the engine is out..kinda not looking forward to that. No idea how since I can't find a good DIY.

Are the Hotchkis worth it?

ben916
August 29th, 2011, 06:00
yeah it's aftermarket. I may just buy the official one. As for my power issues, it's the tc. Since the whole trans is under warranty, the whole setup is getting replaced starting tomorrow morning. I'll be gutting my dps while the engine is out..kinda not looking forward to that. No idea how since i can't find a good diy.

are the hotchkis worth it?

yes...1234

T-elospathic
August 29th, 2011, 06:07
Is ordering them direct the best way to go, or does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy?

hahnmgh63
August 29th, 2011, 07:12
For Hotchkiss try www.tirerack.com , they have about the best price around and cheapest shipping unless someone here comes up with something better. For the Downpipes, I had just air chiseled out my pre-cats but now just ordered a set of Milltek's without Cats from Unit 20 over in the UK for 600pounds and only 75 pounds shipping. The places in the US want $3K for the Catted Milltek's.

ben916
August 29th, 2011, 16:44
Is ordering them direct the best way to go, or does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy?

www.purems.com has the Hotchkis for $425 IIRC...

http://www.purems.com/Products/22827Hotchkis-H-Sport-Anti-Sway-Kit

hahnmgh63
August 29th, 2011, 17:41
$412 from Tire rack and they ship to you from Reno which should keep shipping costs down.

kismetcapitan
August 29th, 2011, 19:56
$412 for the Hotchkis kit, sweet. A bargain, even compared to JDM import tuning part prices!

hahnmgh63
August 30th, 2011, 01:04
Only a slight improvement in price but Hotchkis just sent me a car for 25% off everything through 30 September. Of course their retail prices are high enough that 25% only makes it a slight improvement. Go to www.hotchkis.net (http://www.hotchkis.net) or call them and use coupon code SS11.