PDA

View Full Version : cylinder 1 location? and misfires after N80 replacement.

SiLRS6
July 2nd, 2011, 14:10
Had the gas tank replaced under the recall 2 weeks ago and they also said the N80 purge valve had a code. They wanted 350 to replace it so I told them no I would do it.

Car ran for about 4 days great. then trying to leave the house it started running real rough, misfiring and then died.

I thought it would be directly related to the valve so I changed it out and car still running bad. At first it would not give me any codes would start but then fall on its face 5 or so seconds later. Finally got a misifres code on 1 and 2.

Is cylinder 1 the back left on passenger side when looking at the engine? Going to check the spark plugs and coils.

thanks

4everRS
July 2nd, 2011, 14:41
its the front left looking at it from the front of the car. The rest of that bank is 2,3,4. And the other bank is 5,6,7,8 front to back

SiLRS6
July 2nd, 2011, 14:52
thanks. I was just thinking about that logically it would make sense to on the front side of the engine. The diagram I found online is not labeled very well.

Thanks again.

SiLRS6
July 2nd, 2011, 16:32
Car was only staying started for a few seconds before. Now I just changed spark plugs 1 and 2 because they were the misfiring (just trying to get to the problem then I will change all) and car will not even start at all now. It is like it is starving for fuel.

Will bad coils cause car not to start at all?

Where to check next?

TozoM8
July 2nd, 2011, 16:45
Sounds like no fuel.

SiLRS6
July 2nd, 2011, 16:51
Yes that is what it is like. I was just reading another post on an A3 about a fuel pressure sensor, where might this be. Maybe dealer did plug it in very well and it came loose.

Is there a warranty on recalls?

JSRS6
July 2nd, 2011, 17:42
I would call the dealer...sounds like they screwed something up.

DHall1
July 3rd, 2011, 05:01
Please clarify what exactly was done to the car.

You say you had the gas tank replaced? The recall does not replace the gas tank? What exactly was done at the dealer.

Had the gas tank replaced under the recall 2 weeks ago and they also said the N80 purge valve had a code. They wanted 350 to replace it so I told them no I would do it.

Car ran for about 4 days great. then trying to leave the house it started running real rough, misfiring and then died.

I thought it would be directly related to the valve so I changed it out and car still running bad. At first it would not give me any codes would start but then fall on its face 5 or so seconds later. Finally got a misifres code on 1 and 2.

Is cylinder 1 the back left on passenger side when looking at the engine? Going to check the spark plugs and coils.

thanks

SiLRS6
July 3rd, 2011, 14:15
from my paperwork from the dealer...^^

"found rollover valve nipple to be cracked in half. Called Audi Corp and they instructed to replace gas tank and do recall JY performing more reinforcing on new gas tank and install will all necessary parts. Filled and inspected with no leaks found."

I saw the pictures of the old tank and new tank right next to each other as well as the whole rear end off the car. They did replace the gas tank in my case at least.

I do not have a warranty and this would have cost me a bunch if it was not on the recall. I only paid $59 for the gas they put in the tank. Why I was there they mentioned the N80 valve but wanted 350 to replace. I told them I would do it as it is right on top staring at you when you open the hood.

Car ran fine for a few days. then.........

JSRS6
July 3rd, 2011, 15:09
Other than the tank getting messed up during the install, did you install the n80 the right way?

SiLRS6
July 3rd, 2011, 15:25
Ya the same way the other one came out. If you look at the valve the wire and connector for the N80 they are pretty much molded pointing towards the outside of the engine bay rather than stretching it across the valve and turning it around facing the inside of the bay to plug it in.

Also checked all the fuses and they seem to be good. At least one of the pumps seems to be running when the key is turned as you can hear it. Does not really mean fuel is getting anywhere though.

may try charging the battery just to see what that does, maybe there is not enough Crank amps to start it now that I have tried quite a few times. Everything has power and it reads about 12 or maybe a bit higher when key is on. It drops when trying to start which seems normal.

hmmm...

DHall1
July 3rd, 2011, 16:06
This helps a bit. Some dealers want to replace the fuel pump when switching tanks...I wonder if something is sucking air inside the tank and you have no fuel pressure. I would get a fuel pressure reading at this point.

from my paperwork from the dealer...^^

"found rollover valve nipple to be cracked in half. Called Audi Corp and they instructed to replace gas tank and do recall JY performing more reinforcing on new gas tank and install will all necessary parts. Filled and inspected with no leaks found."

I saw the pictures of the old tank and new tank right next to each other as well as the whole rear end off the car. They did replace the gas tank in my case at least.

I do not have a warranty and this would have cost me a bunch if it was not on the recall. I only paid $59 for the gas they put in the tank. Why I was there they mentioned the N80 valve but wanted 350 to replace. I told them I would do it as it is right on top staring at you when you open the hood.

Car ran fine for a few days. then.........

hahnmgh63
July 3rd, 2011, 16:20
SiLRS6, your talking about the voltage being low. Does the car even crank over? If it cranks at what seems to be normal speed the battery is fine. If your saying the car doesn't even crank over when attemping to start then your battery is definitley low or dead. With a Voltmeter your battery at rest should read 12.6~13.2 Volts, if it reads 12 it is low.

SiLRS6
July 3rd, 2011, 17:38
battery is about 12.5 volts on an analog meter. I left my other meter at the office. I tried jump starting with my truck which put it at about 13+ volts. The car wants to start, you can hear it kick over but just won't start all the way.

It seems to be either not enough fuel or too much for whatever reason.

DHall1
July 4th, 2011, 04:58
Car needs a proper diagnosis.

If you cant get a fuel pressure reading....get the car to the proper location for the check.

This helps a bit. Some dealers want to replace the fuel pump when switching tanks...I wonder if something is sucking air inside the tank and you have no fuel pressure. I would get a fuel pressure reading at this point.

SiLRS6
July 7th, 2011, 02:39
UPDATE! had the car towed to the dealer. They found that when the reinstalled the #3 fuel sensor it got stuck. The car said I had 3/8 of a tank when in fact it was dry with nothing. Basically out of gas and the sensor was reading wrong.

They fixed the sensor and updated the settings for the N80 valve. Car is working great so far.

thanks for all the comments and help.