PDA

View Full Version : Buyer's Guide?

Mattionals
June 20th, 2011, 00:56
Good Evening from the East Coast everyone!

Obviously I am new here but I am looking to sell my TT 225 and move on to a sedan that is more fitting of my lifestyle. I don't do as much driving, well in my personal vehicle anyway, anymore and would like something with a bit more room, more power, more comfort, and again, more power. I'm not a speed demon per se, but I like the ability to hammer down on the throttle when needed to pass the little old lady on the highway. I'm also quite particular when it comes to cars so I have narrowed my search down to the RS6, an E39 M5, a Pontiac G8 GT, or a first generation Cadillac CTS-V.

I am already partial to owning Audi/VW only because I have experienced the standard TB changes, temp sensors going, SAI leaks, N75 valves and the like. Even though this would detract most buyers, I honestly have a clinging sense to stay with Audi since I know it so well, plus I already bought a VAG-COM!

Anyway, I searched and couldn't find a complete Buyer's Guide, but I was wondering what else I should be looking at beyond the key things like the 35,000 mile TB change and DRC recalls. What else would there be to look out for on a car say under 60,000 miles?

I would love to move on an RS6 within the next two to three months required that I either find a clean one at the dealer and get a good trade in price on my TT 225 or that I can find a good private party one and be able to swing a loan. I have great credit for a 23 year old and would end up putting down at least 2,000 to finance the loan. Money is not a problem in my current financial situation so payments aren't a big deal.

Thanks very much in advance for any/all help!:addict:

marklar182
June 20th, 2011, 01:47
If a buyers guide was compiled I would suggest;

- Do your own initial VAG-COM scans, as the RS6 is notorious for stored fault codes that do not produce a CEL. If all clear, take the car out and drive normal, as well as aggressive and recheck the scan.
- Acquire a 2nd gear 3000-redline VAG-COM log (Blocks 3, 31, 115) and post them here for feedback (this will tell if the car is performing correctly and if it is tuned, ect)
- Test the TC (torque converter), Go up to 50mph, put it in tip 5th and apply full throttle without hitting the kickdown switch. If your rpm is linear with your speed then you are fine. If codes are thrown or the RPM shoots up there is an issue.
- Do not buy without buying an extended warranty, service contract, or whatever else it may be called.

JSRS6
June 20th, 2011, 02:06
Where are you located?

Mattionals
June 20th, 2011, 02:15
Just updated my profile to show that I'm in Hamilton, NJ. Right outside of Trenton. Thanks for the quick responses!

EDIT: I just thought of something else. If there is anyone in the area that could possibly give me a ride or a possible quick drive, nothing big just to get accustomed to the car, that could do a weekday evening or weekend that would be awesome. It would be great to be in a car that is in good working order to also feel out how one that is not compares. Anyone ever bring a VAG-COM to a dealer or anything like that? With such an expensive car I would assume that anyone selling the car, dealer or private, would be suspicious of a backpack even if it only holds a netbook and a VAG-COM USB cable.

SteveKen
June 20th, 2011, 04:06
Details on the TT you're selling?

The wifey is looking for an automatic.

Mattionals
June 20th, 2011, 13:52
Steve,

All TT 225's came 6-speed. This is unfortunate in your case. Thanks for the interest though!

Jimmy
June 20th, 2011, 15:07
I'm sure there is an owner here near you for a drive...you could always come up to the middle of CT and I can arrange a ride for you in 2 Rs6s; one being stock and mine with an MTM chip...but Trenton is a fair clip away.

I don't think any dealer would be kind to you bringing in your own diagnostic software...but it won't hurt to try. Perhaps a private seller would welcome that though. I know I would.

Try to find one that had the Torque converter repaired/replaced too....def do that test marklar182 described, you don't want to buy a car that needs to have the TC replaced and seems that many folks will sell/trade-in their cars when theirs start to slip....they all suffer from the bad TC from the factory. Hard to believe Audi didn't put in a Viton seal from the get-go !

Good luck in your search !

Mattionals
June 20th, 2011, 15:47
Thanks a bunch everyone!

Considering that I drive a lot for work, RF Field Engineer, I don't really mind driving TOO far away. Heck, if I could swing a Marriott stay I'd consider coming up over night or something like that.

How do I keep from activating the kick down switch? I assume it would be applying throttle without having the trans drop a gear at 50? Is there a better way rather than attempt to finesse the throttle?

JSRS6
June 20th, 2011, 15:59
When you get in the car, press the pedal slowly all the way down. if you dont feel a click, press a little more. If you have it in tip 5th gear and roll into the throttle till you get to the kickdown point, and it doesnt slip, then you are good.

Mattionals
June 20th, 2011, 16:25
Good to know, thanks! Eventually I would like to do the SteveKen miracle 01E swap but obviously I'm not in a big NEED to swap it over when I first purchase the car. Doing it this way gives me time to find all the proper parts needed and also save enough funds to go through with it all. I'm figuring close to 10 K to swap everything over cleanly, and probably doing the work myself. It's nice to have an extra car, 03 Matrix, if the car is going to have significant down time.