PDA

View Full Version : Looking for DIY, step by step, timing belt procedure information for rs6

jack carter
June 14th, 2011, 07:21
Hey Folks:

As title suggests, looking for any and all information, links, step by step, etc. for DIY timing belt change on rs6. As well as any specific tools needed, etc.

Best

Jc

JSRS6
June 14th, 2011, 13:08
The procedure is available for emailing, and a few members here have the special tools(there are three). You can also buy them so you have them next time.

Mr. Rictus
June 14th, 2011, 13:31
Get ahold of terrytcl. I just rented the tools from him and he's got all the ebahn manual stuff as well.

DHall1
June 14th, 2011, 15:37
Well that is some first post. How long have you had the car? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a Certified Master Tech and 1 being a weekend warrior that changes oil. Where would you place your skill level?

IMHO it takes a solid 7 to complete the TB on the RS6. Maybe an 8

Also, we have covered it in the past. Search for the threads. I think it was Pat that said, if you need to know how to remove the front carrier on the RS6 then dont even consider opening up the timing cover.

kilian tuning
June 14th, 2011, 18:30
ok id like to have the step by step by mail... (mail...mavada@zeelandnet.nl)

mavada@zeelandnet.nl

JSRS6
June 14th, 2011, 18:55
ok id like to have the step by step by mail... (mail...mavada@zeelandnet.nl)

mavada@zeelandnet.nl

Emails sent.

kilian tuning
June 14th, 2011, 18:55
Thank you very much Joshua!!!

JSRS6
June 14th, 2011, 18:56
Well that is some first post. How long have you had the car? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being a Certified Master Tech and 1 being a weekend warrior that changes oil. Where would you place your skill level?

IMHO it takes a solid 7 to complete the TB on the RS6. Maybe an 8

Also, we have covered it in the past. Search for the threads. I think it was Pat that said, if you need to know how to remove the front carrier on the RS6 then dont even consider opening up the timing cover.

Amen, Dave.

JSRS6
June 14th, 2011, 19:02
Thank you very much Joshua!!!

No problem. That's what the forum is for.

jack carter
June 14th, 2011, 22:45
Had the car for 7yrs. Love it. As for skills, I feel confident that I could do this, as own and work on various other older cars and motorbikes. Just looking for as much info/details on process and specific tools needed to avoid any unforeseen issues and get the car back on the road.

That said, please email me the documentation to jackcarter1971esq@gmail.com

Look forward to being a more active member of this forum, thank you in advance for support.

Best jc

terrytcl
June 14th, 2011, 23:41
i put the service manual for the job on google docs

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B-Mw25aSS849NzgzMGJhNzYtOWM4YS00YzVkLThiMDMtMTJjYmZi MTlhZDYx&hl=en_US

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 00:03
I also just sent you a couple emails.

Can you update your location?

jack carter
June 15th, 2011, 07:30
Hey Folks:

Thanks for this info... Really great.

Do you also happen to have this same level of documentation that covers the removal of the front end of the car. So I can get to the engine easier. That would be really handy.

Thoughts

Best jc

terrytcl
June 15th, 2011, 15:18
jack,

that's also in my google doc link.

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 15:39
Yep. I downloaded the "pulling lock carrier toward front" to iBooks and emailed it to him. Didn't see the bumper removal PDF. He should be able to figure that out...

terrytcl
June 15th, 2011, 15:51
i can upload that to my directory, but it's easy

1) remove undertray
2) remove Torx screws to allow passenger and driver side fender liners to be pushed aside
3) using a 10mm socket and at least 18" of extension, remove the three nuts holding the bumper (up near headlight area under the fender)
4) remove the passenger and driver side fog light covers
5) remove the torx bolts holding the bumper cover to the bumper (torx bolt can be seen looking up from under the fog light opening)
6) slide bumper out, disconnect all electricals (fog lights and horns) and head light washer line (pinch off the line prior to disconnecting or have a jug to collect the washer fluid rushing out)

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 15:53
Ya got that, jack? :hihi:

jack carter
June 15th, 2011, 22:43
Thanks folks. Gonna be ordering a kit here pretty soon, vs sourcing parts individually. If anyone has had a good experience with any one supplier, please let me know.
Best jc

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 22:48
Here is that ebay link i was telling you about Jack. This is the same kit i used recently. All parts were OEM/OES. Well put together kit, nothing missing, didnt have to return anything due to incorrect PN. $447 w/free shipping is the best deal you will find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS6-Premium-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-OEM-EUR-V8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f841e247QQitemZ30051 7810759QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_2093wt_696

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 22:49
Oh, and that free shipping was fast...

SteveKen
June 15th, 2011, 23:29
Haters might hate, but I use the kits from Blau Parts. I bought the enhanced S6/RS6 kit on sale for $509 shipped a few weeks ago. It's $529 shipped regularly.

It also includes the serpentine belt, front main seal, front cam seals, crank pulley bolts and coolant.

As far as I'm concerned they've got a good reputation and all the parts are from reputable OEM Tier I suppliers. (INA, SKF, etc.)

I'm on my second one and have had no issues. Be sure to torque all bolts to spec.

I've also confirmed that their S6 valve cover gasket kit works on the RS6.

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 23:37
No hatin here...that is also a good deal. my kit came with serpentine as well, but no seals, bolts or fluid. Still about the same deal figuring in those parts. Mine was also tier 1 parts, lol.

JSRS6
June 15th, 2011, 23:38
Shouldnt you be about ready to row some gears?

SteveKen
June 16th, 2011, 00:02
Shouldnt you be about ready to row some gears?

Too much business travel. I thought I'd beat Erik but I'm really doubtful.

My engine & trans is mated together and I'm getting ready to put everything back together whenever I can get he chance.

I'm in lovely Muncie, Indiana this week.

kilian tuning
July 16th, 2011, 09:31
Step by step with some pics...

http://forums.quattroworld.com/rs6/msgs/1360.phtml

DHall1
July 19th, 2011, 02:26
I had my greasy hands on those tools.

V8weight
July 19th, 2011, 02:36
I had my greasy hands on those tools.
You were probably one of the last to ever touch those tools......

vtraudt
December 23rd, 2017, 12:57
Is there a DIY for removing the front clip instead of "service position"?
At least I would like to look into what is required to swing the front out of the way and compare the pain with working with mirror/blind in the service position when doing the timing belt.

Bigglezworth
December 23rd, 2017, 15:54
Is there a DIY for removing the front clip instead of "service position"?
At least I would like to look into what is required to swing the front out of the way and compare the pain with working with mirror/blind in the service position when doing the timing belt.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22769-Looking-for-DIY-step-by-step-timing-belt-procedure-information-for-rs6