PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank leaking.

SiLRS6
June 9th, 2011, 22:57
My rs6 has 65000 miles and I pulled in the garage today and there was a small puddle and the smell of gas in front of the driver side rear wheel.

Anyone have this problem before? I will take a look tonight hoping it's just a hose or something.

Advice would help greatly.

MaxRS6
June 9th, 2011, 23:37
^LOL- Seems like I recall hearing about this a few times... See below threads..

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22589-RS6-Now-Included-in-Fuel-Rollover-Valve-Recall?highlight=epoxy

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21527-A6-Fuel-Rollover-Valve-Recall?highlight=gas

SiLRS6
June 10th, 2011, 02:33
I remember now. I did read about this too.

Thanks for reminding me.

Guess it's time to call

MaxRS6
June 10th, 2011, 02:54
After multiple tanks..it is kinda burned into my hard head. Hopefully, they will get u rolling again soon.

Chung
June 10th, 2011, 15:14
Yay for recalls so MaxRS6 only has threads about gas tank leaks burned into his head and not other things burning.

hahnmgh63
June 10th, 2011, 15:41
The one thing I hate about the gas tank issue is that means the incompetents at the dealer will be pulling the whole rear cradle to get at it won't they?

V8weight
June 10th, 2011, 16:53
The one thing I hate about the gas tank issue is that means the incompetents at the dealer will be pulling the whole rear cradle to get at it won't they?
Only if your tanks already leaking....if not they're going to remove your rear seat, drill a hole in your floor pan, and pump a bunch of epoxy around the roll over valve....

ben916
June 10th, 2011, 16:58
Only if your tanks already leaking....if not they're going to remove your rear seat, drill a hole in your floor pan, and pump a bunch of epoxy around the roll over valve....

Hope the epoxy isn't flammable....

SiLRS6
June 14th, 2011, 22:09
UPDATE: June 14

I just put my RS6 into Audi Service today for the leaking gas tank. At first they said they did not know of any recalls on RS6 for the Fuel however, I brought a printout from the National Highway...gov. and informed him of what I knew. Which it does include the RS6.

The advisor called me back and said he contacted Audi Corp. and the service recall was to be issued in June of 2011. (which is now).

Anyway they are replacing the ENTIRE gas tank for me under this recall not just sealing the crack in the valve.

just wanted to say. :jlol::addict:

ben916
June 14th, 2011, 23:08

I just put my RS6 into Audi Service today for the leaking gas tank. At first they said they did not know of any recalls on RS6 for the Fuel however, I brought a printout from the National Highway...gov. and informed him of what I knew. Which it does include the RS6.

The advisor called me back and said he contacted Audi Corp. and the service recall was to be issued in June of 2011. (which is now).

Anyway they are replacing the ENTIRE gas tank for me under this recall not just sealing the crack in the valve.

See if your SA can take some photos of the tank or if you can sneak in there and get some photos.
It would shed some light on how serious the problem is instead of "sweeping it under the rug"...

repda503
November 27th, 2012, 09:15

I just discovered this fuel leak on my car as well. Background information: I had the fuel tank rollover valve recall done over a year ago from the dealership where they cover it with epoxy. Well now it is leaking again and I do not have a warranty. SilRS6 can you guys give me any advice on how you got the dealership to replace the fuel tank entirely? Was it part of your warranty or part of the recall? I just want to know how likely it is they will do it for me without a warranty.

Primo
November 27th, 2012, 09:19
I'm starting to think my gas tank leaks aswell, pretty annoying!

MaxRS6
November 27th, 2012, 13:01
I just discovered this fuel leak on my car as well. Background information: I had the fuel tank rollover valve recall done over a year ago from the dealership where they cover it with epoxy. Well now it is leaking again and I do not have a warranty. SilRS6 can you guys give me any advice on how you got the dealership to replace the fuel tank entirely? Was it part of your warranty or part of the recall? I just want to know how likely it is they will do it for me without a warranty.

File a formal complaint with NHTSA and AoA. It was predicted this "glue fix" would not hold long term. I am on fuel tank #5. Audi needs to come up with a long term solution for all of us.

Jeeeeezzzzz Audi- How bout providing us a fuel tank that actually "contains" fuel?? Is that too much to ask/expect??

Edit: Picture of my tank#4 leaking at the infamous valve....

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/2010%20Coolant%20Repair/DSC03957.jpg?t=1286306048

repda503
December 18th, 2012, 11:43
See if your SA can take some photos of the tank or if you can sneak in there and get some photos.
It would shed some light on how serious the problem is instead of "sweeping it under the rug"...

Well guys I was able to get AoA to replace my entire fuel tank! They also gave me a new fuel pump as well as 3 new fuel sender units because they were damaged during the fuel tank replacement. Of course you have to pull out the rear differential so an alignment front and back came with it. Here are some pics I took while they had it apart at the dealership.

JSRS6
December 18th, 2012, 13:42
Must be nice. I took mine in October and they did the patch, even after expressly telling them that the tank needs to be replaced. Had to take it in again a month later. Leaking again. Apparently, they used an "outdated" glue kit. Re-patched and holding. Waiting for the next leak...

marklar182
December 18th, 2012, 16:54
Waiting for the next leak...

Same. Audi would not replace mine........just the patch.

repda503
December 18th, 2012, 23:21
I think the deal breaker for me was I had done the epoxy patch last year before there were any signs of leakage. So I was able to convince them that their solution was not working and a safety hazard still existed.

Elevens
December 18th, 2012, 23:42
Glad it worked out for you repda503. I had a similar situation a few months ago. The only difference was is they Immediately replaced the Tank, no patch job was even considered. And along with the Tank they replaced the Fuel Pump and performed a 4 wheel alignment at Zero cost. Needles to say I was quite pleased. The only issue was that they had the car for about 3 weeks because the Tank had to come from Germany........

ben916
December 18th, 2012, 23:50

It's no wonder $hit gets scratched up when you take cars in...

repda503
December 19th, 2012, 00:12
Glad it worked out for you repda503. I had a similar situation a few months ago. The only difference was is they Immediately replaced the Tank, no patch job was even considered. And along with the Tank they replaced the Fuel Pump and performed a 4 wheel alignment at Zero cost. Needles to say I was quite pleased. The only issue was that they had the car for about 3 weeks because the Tank had to come from Germany........

Yeah I was driving a A3 TDI loaner for over 2 weeks for the same reason. Fuel tank came from Germany. Was getting a cool 30+ mpg on my way to work so I couldn't complain.

MaxRS6
December 19th, 2012, 00:37
Congrats Repda- Now Audi needs to follow up provide a long term solution for all of us when our gas tanks decide to begin relieving themselves in public..