PDA

View Full Version : No go on a cheap new starter in N. America

hahnmgh63
June 8th, 2011, 19:45
Genuine lists the RS6 starter at $71 for new?? Worldimpex lists it at $93?? I first tried Genuine and they E-mailed me back and said it was a no go, rebuilt only at around $350, then I tried Impex and same thing, rebuilt only at around $400. Why do they still temp us with these cheap prices on their website? Thought I found the deal of the centurey, or at least the deal of the year. If it worked I was going to post it for all to get them while the getting was good, but alas, a no go :(

speedtrapped
June 8th, 2011, 19:50
yet another expensive part....

4everRS
June 8th, 2011, 22:47
Damn. Well, thanks for checking into it

SteveKen
June 9th, 2011, 03:41
I've got two starters if you're in need. You think $150 each is too steep?

hahnmgh63
June 9th, 2011, 07:15
Mine is actually fine, since they are a pain to get at I thought if they were cheap enough I would just drop a new one in. And when I priced it on Genuine for a new one and it came in at $71 I thought I hit the lottery, w/Impex at $93 I thought a cheap starter was for real. I may take mine apart and clean it up inside and check how much material is left on the brushes (67K miles) just in case.

vitalian
June 9th, 2011, 16:01
When I had to have mine replaced (4 days after I bought the car -- ugh!), they charged around $400 for it, which I thought sounded outrageous (but thank goodness for the warranty, eh?). Then again, the $3K for labor was even more insane. What wacky German engineer thought that putting the starter in a location that requires pulling the enging to replace it was a good idea?