PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: Secondary Air Injection (SAI) system

SteveKen
June 7th, 2011, 17:13
Pieces include:

SAI Pump
SAI Valves (right & left) (2 sets)
Misc Plumbing w/ hard an soft lines(2 sets)

I'm willing to split things up if someone is interested in the pump or valves only.

Make me an offer.

Aronis
June 7th, 2011, 17:58
Thats too funny!

Did you recode your ecu to ignore that system?

Mike

SteveKen
June 7th, 2011, 18:00
I dunno what I'm going to do yet.

Engine is still sitting on the garage floor.

Aronis
June 7th, 2011, 18:03
You will get a CEL without the system running. Also will fail inspection if your state tests for that sytem's function.

Mike

hahnmgh63
June 7th, 2011, 18:13
Aronis, the secondary air injection system, for all of it's parts, only runs for the first minute or two on a cold startup, after that it just sits there waiting for the next day and won't affect the emissions once the car is partially warmed up. For much of the same idea on the pre-cats, they do the majority of work when you first start the car but after a while (10~20min.) then the main cats do the majority of the work. So with the SAI system de-activated, and the car warm when you get to an emissions station, the readings will be indentical as if it was all installed.

speedtrapped
June 7th, 2011, 18:15
steve, post the sai on audizine, dion tells me they fail quite often on older c5's and they are NOT cheap new.....

hahnmgh63
June 7th, 2011, 18:37
I know the pumps fail on tt's too and they look to be the same pump.

SteveKen
June 7th, 2011, 19:28
Aronis, the secondary air injection system, for all of it's parts, only runs for the first minute or two on a cold startup, after that it just sits there waiting for the next day and won't affect the emissions once the car is partially warmed up. For much of the same idea on the pre-cats, they do the majority of work when you first start the car but after a while (10~20min.) then the main cats do the majority of the work. So with the SAI system de-activated, and the car warm when you get to an emissions station, the readings will be indentical as if it was all installed.

True, but for emissions inspection purposes, at least in PA, they car will not pass with any CEL or readiness codes that 'aren't ready.' I'm hoping to have the SAI fault coded out when I have the manual transmission stuff done to the ECU.

FYI, when I reflashed my S6 to the manual code and changed the soft coding to a manual car, the SAI never ran. I did an experiment and unplugged the SAI pump for around a month and never got a CEL.

USAF Long
June 7th, 2011, 20:15
Is that with running the automatic trans still? I'd like to soft code my S4 to manual using my vag-com to see if it ignories the SAI pump but I'm worried it won't work right since I still have the auto trans in it. I'm running an MTM ecu but I don't think that matters. Eventually I'm going to custom tune and turn off the SAI and EGT's and rear O2's.

SteveKen
June 7th, 2011, 20:36
Is that with running the automatic trans still? I'd like to soft code my S4 to manual using my vag-com to see if it ignories the SAI pump but I'm worried it won't work right since I still have the auto trans in it. I'm running an MTM ecu but I don't think that matters. Eventually I'm going to custom tune and turn off the SAI and EGT's and rear O2's.

This was with a manual transmission with all of the automatic trans wiring, TCU, etc. removed.

I'm thinking that recoding your automatic to a manual and retaining the automatic transmission could really jack the transmission up.

USAF Long
June 7th, 2011, 21:00
Thanks. I'll just wait to tune it out. The air pump makes a wirring noise like a dying drill motor. I unplugged it, but have a permanenet CEL now from the air pump circuit. Luckily the one on the RS6 is silent. I've heard you can rebuild these for like $10 in parts but I can't find a walk-through on it.

SteveKen
June 17th, 2011, 21:34
The pump is sold. Still have two (2) sets of all the plumbing and valves, etc.

By the way, the SAI pump, by itself, weighs 3 pounds. I'm thinking that the bracket and hardware adds another 2 pounds. I hope to weigh the rest some day soon.

hahnmgh63
June 17th, 2011, 21:38
Steve, just curious where you sold the SAI pump off of? Here or Audizine? I'm now thinking about putting mine up for sale, didn't want to do it while you were selling yours. The weight of the SAI system as well as the Aux radiators and plumbing all off the front of the car has to help the balance too since they are so front heavy. Plus I started running again so maybe I can shed another 10lbs of my own weight out of the center.

SteveKen
June 17th, 2011, 22:33
I'm not sure actually. I only advertised it on Quattroworld and here.

I'm pretty sure that the purchaser is on both sites.

Cross referencing the P/N, this pump only works with most 4.2 cars. I'm not sure if it was you that mentioned the TT, but it will not work with anything else as far as ETKA knows.

hahnmgh63
June 18th, 2011, 03:09
Thanks, appreciate it.

hahnmgh63
June 22nd, 2011, 00:55
Terry, looks like you only need the one side made as Apikol has the one side already with gasket and two new bolts for the tt which is the same as our right hand side. Unless you've already got things in motion? https://www.apikol.com/#Products,Engine,140

SteveKen
December 5th, 2011, 20:45
Bump on this.

I just found another SAI pump and mounting bracket that I can sell.

Also now have three sets of SAI piping and valves