PDA

View Full Version : I bought it...RS6...

lswing
June 4th, 2011, 06:32
Blue, black leather, SE exhaust, amazing power, great car, 86k. Got the lovely CEL on the way home, after gas stop, hope it's minor, car has had a lot of recent work done at a good shop, drives great! I'll have questions soon.....

Erik
June 4th, 2011, 08:40
Well, congratulations!

Please input your location in your profile, will help you and others. :)

skribe
June 4th, 2011, 13:01
Blue, black leather, SE exhaust, amazing power, great car, 86k. Got the lovely CEL on the way home, after gas stop, hope it's minor, car has had a lot of recent work done at a good shop, drives great! I'll have questions soon.....

CEL on the way home? That is bullshit! Turn that sled around and demand answers!

Do you not have a vag-com cable?

MaxRS6
June 4th, 2011, 13:48
^ +1- Don't wait around

Welcome aboard

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/Ozzy%20at%20Emerald/CrazyTrainPoster1.jpg?t=1293713060

PALETTE
June 4th, 2011, 14:00
Bring it back and just make sure the gas cap is tight. that will set off a CEL if it not.

lswing
June 4th, 2011, 17:35
The CEL did come on about 5 miles after I got gas. Heard it can take a bit for the CEL to reset after it comes on? Friends in town have a shop and VAG cable, I'll run it and see. Interesting note, upon starting in the center console I get, "OK" in big orange letters, with "Service engine in 500 miles" in red below that. This did not show before the CEL showed up. I'll post some pics eventually, blue and silver is so nice!

marklar182
June 4th, 2011, 21:26
I had the same thing happen when I bought mine (like 2 days after I took it home).

If the ECU is reset it will not throw a code until the drive cycle is met. I bet yours was reset by the seller and you just got the short end of the stick.

lswing
June 4th, 2011, 21:50
I bought from a seller with a 30 day warranty, they have been good on the phone so far. The TC was replaced before they sold it. I have experienced some shutter at WOT from say 60-90 on the freeway, maybe just engine mounts? Here is the CEL code; P0741, Torque Converter, Clutch Solenoid, Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.....any input is much appreciated, thanks!

marklar182
June 4th, 2011, 23:34
I would wait for Tozo or Pat to chime in, but I would NOT drive that car anymore and have the seller pay to get it flat-bedded and checked out.

bilko1
June 5th, 2011, 00:13
Was the full code P0741-17125? if so thats the dreaded Torque converter imminent death warning is it not.

snoopra
June 5th, 2011, 03:48
Welcome! You say they said TC was replaced, did they produce records? Your CEL code is saying NOT! Have them do it right, and have TOZO build you a monster trans:)

lswing
June 5th, 2011, 05:35
They showed me a record from their mechanic with the TC replaced to the tune of 2k because it was throwing the code after they bought it at auction. The only numbers were po741, hope its not horrible, love the car, talking with the mechanic Monday am...drives just fine, the shop said to keep driving it?

ben916
June 5th, 2011, 05:53
wonder if a "red-neck" reset is in order...........

ben916
June 5th, 2011, 07:42
actually you should have got this one...

http://www.autohausli.com/Dealer-Websites/Smithtown-Autohaus-NY/make/2003-Audi-RS6/inventory-details/Z5Fwv4%C3%BEs2dk%3d

VERY early on the VIN list, if not one of the first ones in the US!!!
Who's is it???/

bilko1
June 5th, 2011, 08:04
wonder if a "red-neck" reset is in order...........

What is a "red-neck" reset?

716YETI
June 5th, 2011, 14:07
Unhooking the battery. Ask me how I know.
Good luck with the car.

hahnmgh63
June 5th, 2011, 17:01
I would clear the code and just drive it for a while and see if it comes back since it was the only tranny code. Would be nice to know more about the repair. What kind of fluid did he use? Did they use an OEM Audi T.C.? Does the mechanic know the proper fill procedure? Although I don't think if it was a little over or under filled you would get that code. Don't baby it since you have 30 days to return it but you need the code cleared to see if it comes back, and not just waiting for the check engine light, run the code reader, preferably Vagcom on it every couple of days.

eurotunedrs6
June 5th, 2011, 17:43
That sucks that it popped a CEL. You should return it any buy my Mugello blue with minor mods! Ill be posting the for sale thread some time today. Really though, I would be mad if it a CEL showed up right after purchasing.

lswing
June 5th, 2011, 21:53
I would clear the code and just drive it for a while and see if it comes back since it was the only tranny code. Would be nice to know more about the repair. What kind of fluid did he use? Did they use an OEM Audi T.C.? Does the mechanic know the proper fill procedure? Although I don't think if it was a little over or under filled you would get that code. Don't baby it since you have 30 days to return it but you need the code cleared to see if it comes back, and not just waiting for the check engine light, run the code reader, preferably Vagcom on it every couple of days.

Thanks for the good insight. I'll be talking with the mechanic on Monday. There was a note on the repair slip saying they were going to replace the TC, I don't have any other info besides that. I'll keep you all posted tomorrow.

Just a note on the driving performance. The car moves off the line right away, rpm's go up and car goes. When I'm cruising in drive at 30mph, put my foot down just a bit, rpm's go up about 200 before the car goes? Once it goes it feels locked and solid. This is very light acceleration mind you. Thanks!

ttboost
June 5th, 2011, 22:51
Scan it, clear any codes, go out and pound the living... wait, I mean drive it like you stole it for a bit and see if any codes come back. Did they say they CHANGED the TC or were GOING to change the TC? BIG difference. Don't wait 30 days to find out, you will HATE this car then, if you can't wrench on your own. Good Luck.

lswing
June 5th, 2011, 22:55
ttboost, did what you mentioned. The code came back the same today after about 40 miles of spirited driving. Looking over the receipts it says "TC to be replaced, 2k"....they verbally said it was.....I'm talking with the mechanic monday to verify....thanks again all. I don't wrench but luckily my friends run a shop that does Audi's....

ttboost
June 5th, 2011, 23:10
Yup..sounds like TC is toast. Get them to install a new one or get a decent discount to do it yourself. $2k might not cover it, unless you know someone, which sounds like you do..good luck and keep us posted...

PS, don't drive it anymore, as it MAY hurt the tranny now. There is a finite amount of time where you can drive with that code, then BOOM, tranny starts slipping, CEL. Don't want to scare you, but tranny might already be slipping...new TC WILL NOT fix that, new tranny will. Be very careful. Get them to put new TC in and go drive it and wait for more codes.

hahnmgh63
June 6th, 2011, 01:16
I second what ttboost said. Now that it basically comes back right away it needs some trouble shooting and to be fixed. So much for a verbal, ask for reciepts. Doesn't sound like it was replaced. Maybe they just changeed the fluid and called it good, maybe they didn't even go that far. With that kind of mileage I think it would be better to do a T.C. & tranny. My car had no problems but since I pulled the engine/tranny for a broken Turbo Stud @67K miles, I am going for a rebuilt tranny & new T.C.

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 03:07
Just a note, the Cel went off today, ughh. Taking it to be glanced at by my local shop tomorrow, talking with the other mechanic that worked on it. Post again...

PS; Love the car, power is awesome, great seats, styling that will last forever, amazing!

TozoM8
June 6th, 2011, 03:19
Go up to 50mph, put it in tip 5th and apply full throttle without hitting the kickdown switch on the floor. If your rpm is linear with your speed then you are fine. If the rpm jumps up 500-700rpm then your TC slips and pops open.

4everRS
June 6th, 2011, 04:00
He's getting the code, so something is up. Are you saying:
1)that if it jumps by those RPM's, then the tranny is likely going bad too? or
2)that fluid is not only getting by the crappy audi seals, but the case or lockup is damaged?
Go up to 50mph, put it in tip 5th and apply full throttle without hitting the kickdown switch on the floor. If your rpm is linear with your speed then you are fine. If the rpm jumps up 500-700rpm then your TC slips and pops open.

TozoM8
June 6th, 2011, 05:17
If the seal leaks and the TC start slipping (vag shows 96-124 rpm slip with closed TC) the TCU will prevent further damage by opening the TCC and rpm jumps 500-600rpm. It is not damaging the trans, but overheating the fluid and it will start foaming. Having air bubbles in the fluid will damage the trans.

ben916
June 6th, 2011, 06:35

er, sorry to TJ but is the kickdown switch inside the entire assembly that is known as the throttle (fly by wire)?
OR is it physically located on the floorboard? This is news to me...

I'm gonna try this tomorrow..

JSRS6
June 6th, 2011, 14:22
er, sorry to TJ but is the kickdown switch inside the entire assembly that is known as the throttle (fly by wire)?
OR is it physically located on the floorboard? This is news to me...

I'm gonna try this tomorrow..

Slowly and gently press the pedal down with the car off. It's gonna feel like it's floored. Press it some more and you will feel it silently click past that point. That is kickdown.

MORS6
June 6th, 2011, 15:35
Been there done that. It took 200 miles after purchase for my CEL P0741 to come on. Car drove great - don't let that fool you - your TC is bad. Clear code. Put in 5th, in tip, at 45 mph and give it some gas. Presto - you now have P0741 stored as pending.

I'd bet not - but if they did replace the TC before selling it to you I would request that they send the core to ACE and have it rebuilt. They may have foraged for a used OEM TC - If so I have a fish with a higher IQ.

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 16:07

Thank you sir! That is exactly what the car did! 50mph, trip in 5th, foot down (hit the kickdown switch the first time, nice to know about that now:), rpm's go up about 500-600, spedo then goes up. I replicated it three times, each time about 500 rpm's up before an increase in speed.

I'm only driving about 5 miles each day to work right now so I'm figuring there will be hardly any wear until I get it fixed. The dealership is 150 miles away, I think the car need to be flatbedded up there if they insist on doing the warranty work. Ughhhh, sounds like the TC was not fixed......any more advice on dealing with the issue is appreciated, I'll let you know what the mechanics say later today....Thanks all....

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 16:18
Been there done that. It took 200 miles after purchase for my CEL P0741 to come on. Car drove great - don't let that fool you - your TC is bad. Clear code. Put in 5th, in tip, at 45 mph and give it some gas. Presto - you now have P0741 stored as pending.

I'd bet not - but if they did replace the TC before selling it to you I would request that they send the core to ACE and have it rebuilt. They may have foraged for a used OEM TC - If so I have a fish with a higher IQ.

Bummer, thanks for the info, that is my exact problem too. Can you give me some rough numbers on what it ended up costing you? PM if you want to keep them off the board. I'll talk to the mechanic today, should be interesting:) I'll look up ACE and see what that entails. It took 90 miles for my CEL to come on...

ttboost
June 6th, 2011, 16:24
Ace charges abour $450 to upgrade your stock TC, if you send it to them. If you have to wait for them to find you a core...you'll be a while. You can plan on a day to get it out and a day to put it back in, minimum. If you have a shop that has worked on RS6's before, you'll be better off.

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 16:47
Ace charges abour $450 to upgrade your stock TC, if you send it to them. If you have to wait for them to find you a core...you'll be a while. You can plan on a day to get it out and a day to put it back in, minimum. If you have a shop that has worked on RS6's before, you'll be better off.

Thanks, I'll look into it. So could I fix that core and that fixes the TC? Just wanting to clarify the moving parts. The shop has worked on A4 and 6's I know....

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 16:58
Ok, so I get this nice looking piece of hardware made to spec and shipped over for $450 or so.

http://aceconverter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_31&products_id=38&zenid=a458c18290dc2c3c9fbd1dff0ec23f7b

Then about $1,500 in labor I'm guessing for the two days of work to replace it? All could be good at that point?

MORS6
June 6th, 2011, 18:09
That's the one. I'm no transmission expert but If the car is shifting through all the gears and into reverse smoothly without clunking, slipping, etc replacing the TC, fluid, and filter should have you back in good shape. I'd replace the O2 sensors while they're in there. You can get OEM from Amazon for $70-$80 each (4 total) I think the going rate now with TOZO is $2000 including fluid and filter for a RS6 TC swap. If you can find a good local shop willing to tie up a lift long enough to pull the TC, send it to ACE, and reinstall it for around $1,500 I'd say that is a good deal.

cruzanrs6
June 6th, 2011, 18:39
So looks like you got the one at Freeman. Let us know about the CEL. Mine has been great. Got all the detailing done - tint, partial replacing of the clear bra, leather reconditioning, a few paintless dents - the car really looks great.

Regards - Scott

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 18:39
Thanks for the input. Yes the car runs really smooth in drive, reverse is smooth, shifts in trip are even pretty quick, I just never noticed the problem under load until to late. Once i get all the power transferring to the wheels right away it will be stellar! The car is a beast stock, can't image what it's like for you guys with mods, nice....

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 18:41
So looks like you got the one at Freeman. Let us know about the CEL. Mine has been great. Got all the detailing done - tint, partial replacing of the clear bra, leather reconditioning, a few paintless dents - the car really looks great.

Regards - Scott

Scott, yep, it had so much recent work on it I thought everything was cleaned up. Well, here's to it getting fixed up and driving the way it should be! Looks great even with a few scratches, leather seats are excellent, adjustments are just great. Really a joy to drive through the corners an straights, the wheel does take a bit of effort. Cheers!

LIRS6
June 6th, 2011, 19:05
actually you should have got this one...

http://www.autohausli.com/Dealer-Websites/Smithtown-Autohaus-NY/make/2003-Audi-RS6/inventory-details/Z5Fwv4%C3%BEs2dk%3d

VERY early on the VIN list, if not one of the first ones in the US!!!
Who's is it???/

Is it just me, or is that one of the ugliest RS6's yet? Paint job looks like crap, and I'd say the Army Corps of Engineers warned that they were going to open the floodgates in Smithtown .. except there are no rivers in the area. My apology if I've offended the owner.

twinsteve
June 6th, 2011, 20:40
Is it just me, or is that one of the ugliest RS6's yet? Paint job looks like crap, and I'd say the Army Corps of Engineers warned that they were going to open the floodgates in Smithtown .. except there are no rivers in the area. My apology if I've offended the owner.

those wheels....ugg....no likee

lswing
June 6th, 2011, 23:49
Did a full scan at the shop, got the dreaded 17125, P0741, TC is toast for sure. Nothing has been taken apart, bolts on TC and Trans never touched. Also found a leak on a trans seal, TCM and EVAP codes they are looking into. Good news is they've verbally agreed to at least fix the TC since it should have been done. I'm hoping they will fix the other issues to as they would have showed when the dealer did a complete scan. There is a parking sensor out and stereo code too, not too big of a deal. Here's to getting it fixed and back on the road! Thanks again for all the input.

ttboost
June 7th, 2011, 00:01
Find out how they are gonna do it. Pull engine AND trans? Just drop tranny? Much more to do if engine AND trans come out. This being said....it seems they lied about it being done? Or was it a misunderstanding? Do you trust them now?

ben916
June 7th, 2011, 00:36
those wheels....ugg....no likee

Yeah those wheels are suppose to be on a Taurus or something... puke!

hahnmgh63
June 7th, 2011, 01:03
I'd be tempted to take the car back and get my money back too as it sure sounds like they lied outright to you. Is it a big enough dealer to do any good to talk to the manager? If you get no satisfaction from them I would call the Oregon Attorney Generals office. I don't think after crap like that I would even want them to be working on my car.

DHall1
June 7th, 2011, 01:03
Not the first time this has happened.

Deadbeat owners get the TC code, clear the code and trade the car in.

New owners get stuck with a 6000 dollar repair bill in the first month of ownership. New owners face the Bobbit hack job from the wife or whatever the hell that guys name was and sell the car. Poor RS6.

DHall1
June 7th, 2011, 01:06
Tozo...we need to start a new thread or add this to the thread I started last year about how to tell if your TC is toast. Many new owners could use this info.

DHall1
June 7th, 2011, 01:09
Return the car. This was a known problem.

We have seen this too many times.

CEL on the way home? That is bullshit! Turn that sled around and demand answers!

Do you not have a vag-com cable?

skribe
June 7th, 2011, 02:45

https://InvImg.autofunds.com/InventoryImages/2011/05/25/1002_176853_26968384_62825022011.jpg

blech, i just mouthbarfed. those wheels, that gap, that paint. contrast that to a properly stanced RS 6 like elevens' car. doesn't even look like the same vehicle.

lswing
June 7th, 2011, 16:13
Good news! The dealership said they will pay the 2k to have the Torque Converter replaced. Should have been done in the first place. Having my local mechanic to the work. The tranny seems nice and smooth, not sure about doing anything to it at this point. Thanks everybody for the help on this one! Great first experience with the rs6.com board. I'm looking at the A.C.E. TC unit. I'm probably going to start a new thread on it. Any input on it putting more pressure on the stock tranny or is that a non issue? I'm putting the car under full extended warranty once the TC gets fixed, another reason why I'm thinking of leaving the stock tranny with the miles. I'll update when things are getting done...

lswing
June 7th, 2011, 16:18
Find out how they are gonna do it. Pull engine AND trans? Just drop tranny? Much more to do if engine AND trans come out. This being said....it seems they lied about it being done? Or was it a misunderstanding? Do you trust them now?

Not sure how it will be worked on, I'll know soon. My mechanic is doing the work now:) I'm making a list of what to do. We already found a leaky outer tranny seal. There was mention of replacing the O2 sensors also. I'm wondering about engine mounts if we pull it? Any info on what to fix now would be excellent!, thanks all...

V8weight
June 7th, 2011, 16:33
At 86k miles, your primary/ secondary O2 sensors and EGT sensors are not long for this world. I would either replace them now while it's apart, or plan on a warranty claim in the near future.

lswing
June 7th, 2011, 16:34
At 86k miles, your primary/ secondary O2 sensors and EGT sensors are not long for this world. I would either replace them now while it's apart, or plan on a warranty claim in the near future.

Very good, I think I'll get that taken care of now while we're at it, thanks for the info!

hahnmgh63
June 7th, 2011, 16:48
I found the best price for Bosch Oxygen sensors lately to be on Amazon. The fronts are Bosch 16544 (Black Plugs) and the rear left is Bosch 16069 (Brown Plug), the rear right is Bosch 16067 (Green Plug). Your on your own on the EGT sensors, probably www.GenuineVwaudi.com (http://www.GenuineVwaudi.com)

USAF Long
June 7th, 2011, 20:54
Glad the dealer is paying for it. I bought my S4 from a dealer in Columbus, OH and on the way home the CEL came on. Scanned it and it was PO741. I didn't know about ACE at the time and when I priced converters and labor it pissed my wife off something fierce. We had a 30 day warranty on the vehicle as well. The dealer didn't want to pay for the repair. It's amazing what happens when you have your lawyer contact the owner of the dealership stating that if they didn't repair it, you would be taking them to court to cover the cost of the repair to the tune of around $2000 plus a report to the better business bureau. Had my car fixed for free and got a loaner car from them to take back to Dayton for a week while my car was repaired.