PDA

View Full Version : Battery "idiot light" on dash

nistah
June 2nd, 2011, 15:52
Hello,

This AM on my way to work I noticed that the red battery idiot light was lit on the dash, also the volt charge right side of the dash looked to be below 12 Amps...

I made sure all lights were off, i have them set to the o of I /neutral / O settings not sure if this is batt or alternator related ....any opinions / insight apprciated.

I will check to see if the issue resolves on its own and update. Thanks!

V8weight
June 2nd, 2011, 16:13
Sounds like it's your turn for a new alternator...

nistah
June 2nd, 2011, 16:19
Thanks, will bring it to dealer... anything else to look at doing while the alternator is being done, car has 72,500 on the clock?
Thanks again :)

nistah
June 2nd, 2011, 16:20
Also do I have some time to drive it without it stranding me or do you think the alt will go soon. Thank you!

Carbonman
June 2nd, 2011, 16:48
Depends on if the alternator is actually putting anything out. If not, you have as long as the battery will last. If it's still partially working, then the question is "Do you like Las Vegas?" because you might win but the odds are against you. Make sure you have walking shoes in the car.

72,500 - have you done the timing belt service?

Good luck.

Erik

aussie rs6
June 2nd, 2011, 17:28
I'll wager it is the Alternator. The beasts went at 15,000 kms while the wife was driving it. Battery voltage ran down to the point so that she got the no start and full display screen light up of all symbols and trip on flatbed truck to the Audi Dealer.:mech:

Alternator replaced under warranty

Having just traded Jaguar XJR for the beast she quipped unkindly " I guess we have to buy two of these as well. One to drive while the other one is in the workshop!" :hahahehe:

No problems since and now at 65,000kms.

JCviggen
June 2nd, 2011, 17:36
Also do I have some time to drive it without it stranding me or do you think the alt will go soon. Thank you!

Around the block, sure. If voltage is below 12 the battery is not charging, it is being drained. The alternator is already gone at this point. A fully charged battery in good condition could support you for around 30 mins, more or less depending on how much electric stuff you've got on.
When it does start to go down, it happens quickly. It will go into limp mode and very shortly after that, stall. Found that out myself.
My alternator issue was intermittent, a restart of the car would get it going again. But replaced it asap after that, its a pretty vital piece of **** sadly.

nistah
June 2nd, 2011, 20:43
Well during lunch time I drove it about 10 miles to the local dealer, I started the trip with 11 volts and by the time I hit the highway the a/c went out and the volt meter went south to just over 8 and center dash light lit with the battery warning.

I made it all the way to the dealer and the car batt died only after they pulled it into the bay so she did not leave me stranded (more than I can say for some of my other cars silver MY 2000 XJR included btw aussie rs6 (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/member.php/1766-aussie-rs6) )

Will keep my fingers crossed the issue is resolved quickly!

nistah
June 9th, 2011, 20:56
Warranty is covering for cost of new alternator....Is there any benefit to keep the dead alternator in case someone on here needs one and wants to have it remanufactured. I think the list for a new alt at dealer was over $1000 !!!

JSRS6
June 9th, 2011, 21:33
Glad to hear it man. See ya next weekend?

Jimmy
June 9th, 2011, 21:58
Warranty is covering for cost of new alternator....Is there any benefit to keep the dead alternator in case someone on here needs one and wants to have it remanufactured. I think the list for a new alt at dealer was over $1000 !!!

Naw, they aren' that much new...about $575 is list around here. The dealer will need the dead one for core most likely....so it will be re-manned.

You can easily find the alts online wholesale for low 400s...with a core charge.

nistah
June 10th, 2011, 15:09
Naw, they aren' that much new...about $575 is list around here. The dealer will need the dead one for core most likely....so it will be re-manned.

You can easily find the alts online wholesale for low 400s...with a core charge.

Yeah your right, looking now at the reciept I see one "generator" part # 077-903-015-RX listed for 686.40 and one "Ribbedbelt" part # 077-903-137-Q listed at 105.60. the labor to install required "removing front bumper and moving lock carrier to service" that was 6 hours Total parts 792.00 and total labor 750.00
Grand total for one alternator = $1542

Transferable thrid party warranty coverage from PO = Priceless

While they had the car apart they reccomended replacing the serpentine belt since I would only have to pay for the part and not labor. I told them to do it. Had a nice 2011 a4 w/ 6k miles on it. Service was great I would reccomend them to other interested audi owners in area.

hahnmgh63
June 10th, 2011, 15:45
Maybe Pat will chime in but I think you could do the Alternator from under the car without too much of a hassle. It is hanging down there on the passenger side of the car and the bolts & wires are fairly accessible.

Jimmy
June 10th, 2011, 16:03
Definitely 'looks' like it can be done under the car by taking the s-belt off ,an air hose and a few oil lines.

...I didn't want to mention anything since nistah's place took off the front bumper !...but he didn't have to pay for it so its moot how they did it. I 'hope' its as easy as it looks from underneath.

nistah
June 10th, 2011, 16:32
Definitely 'looks' like it can be done under the car by taking the s-belt off ,an air hose and a few oil lines.

...I didn't want to mention anything since nistah's place took off the front bumper !...but he didn't have to pay for it so its moot how they did it. I 'hope' its as easy as it looks from underneath.

Thx Jimmy, OT but tell me little about your 500E , how long have you owned miles, HP & TQ, 0-60 etc.

Cheers,
Nistah

hahnmgh63
June 10th, 2011, 17:44
If your nursing your car on battery power alone it better be during the day with lights off, definitely A/C off, radio off, all extra acc. off to conserve power for the important stuff, coils, ecu, etc...