PDA

View Full Version : Stronger Timing Belts? Thanks Mr. Rictus

hahnmgh63
June 2nd, 2011, 02:32
http://www.gatesracing.com/timing.cfm
They claim 300% stronger. I'm not saying increase your change intervals any, just an extra piece of mind that it will be done for the Tensioners or Waterpumps. RS6 application is T297RB, which is the same as other 40V Audi's.

kevin
June 2nd, 2011, 03:26
interesting find..... I'd like to hold one in my hands to compare stiffness/pliability. We've serviced thousands of VW/Audi gas and diesel engines over the years and they have changed belt structure a lot. Read adding life expectancy.

Maybe we can get Mikey to try it?

DHall1
June 2nd, 2011, 05:56
All OEM for me.

After 7yrs and 32k my OE belt looked brand new. Not so for the upper idler pulleys.

Beware people.

Mr. Rictus
June 2nd, 2011, 11:41
I installed one in my S6, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

The belt is made of Kevlar and fit just like stock. I replaced all other components at the same time and have put about 2500 miles on it so far with no issues.

hahnmgh63
June 2nd, 2011, 14:28
Regular Gates belts are an industry standard in the aviation industry. I'm sure their premium belts are just that, above and beyond the stock belt in strength. As I said, I'll stick with the standard change interval because of the Tensioners & Waterpump, the belt will be something I just won't be worrying about.

terrytcl
June 2nd, 2011, 15:00
http://www.race-mart.com/Gates_Racing-GAR-T297RB.html

Mr. Rictus
June 2nd, 2011, 19:21
http://www.race-mart.com/Gates_Racing-GAR-T297RB.html

It's always important to call in the order... I learned that when I was going to order my belt. Just because it says "in stock" on the website doesn't mean the part is actually in stock. I didn't order from that site.

yokust
June 2nd, 2011, 19:54
Personally I will stick with OEM as well.

I have seen a few of these belts fail early on 1.8t's

Mr. Rictus
June 2nd, 2011, 20:09
And there's never been an OEM belt that failed early on a 1.8T? ;) Just saying!

By the way, I picked mine up from Baxter Autoparts. They were extremely helpful and went the extra mile to be certain they had the belt in stock.

yokust
June 2nd, 2011, 20:15
Very true, but then that applys to all VAG cars with a belt. Because they all break earlier then claimed replacment time frames.

But 2 1.8t's that broke these belts within 10k miles, IS WAY TOO EARLY

hahnmgh63
June 3rd, 2011, 00:32
Just to let you know I've had one on my tt now for 9K miles and just pulled the cover to inspect it due to your post and it virtually looks like new. Almost no perceptible wear showing on the belt cogs.

skribe
June 4th, 2011, 04:49
4k miles from new I had an OEM belt drop a tooth and destroy valves on a 2.0t...

Gates does have an excellent reputation for rock solid synchronous belts with loooong duty cycles in industrial equipment, aviation, etc, fwiw.

Mr. Rictus
July 18th, 2014, 16:41
How about a long-term update to the thread?

I sold my V8 to my buddy who put it into his B5A4 so naturally the timing service was done with the motor out of the car. The Gates belt was in excellent condition. There was no weird wear or stretch to it after 70,000 miles of daily and spirited driving.

lswing
July 18th, 2014, 16:46
How about a long-term update to the thread?

I sold my V8 to my buddy who put it into his B5A4 so naturally the timing service was done with the motor out of the car. The Gates belt was in excellent condition. There was no weird wear or stretch to it after 70,000 miles of daily and spirited driving.

70,000? Isn't it crucial to do the timing every 35,000?

Edit; You talking about the non-turbo 4.2V8 in the S6 I suppose? Guess that's similar, but glad to know the belt did well.

Mr. Rictus
July 18th, 2014, 17:09
Yeah, I'm talking about the 4.2 V8 in the S6.

I figured that info. would be useful if an RS6 owner was considering the belt, especially since the RS6 timing bits are done at much shorter intervals.

Other_Erik
July 18th, 2014, 17:09
Not looking forward to the bill 10k miles from now when the beast comes due for tbelt service (140k miles), will likely be 2 years or more down the road, so not as worried about it at the moment.

Anyone ever look into doing a kit for full engine hose replacements with something like -AN fitting braided stainless, or high-pressure multilayer stuff like I normally see from Aeroquip? Automotive industrty standards <<<< Aviation industry... More $$$ I know, but I'd like to be able to never worry about replacing another hose on the beast after doing a full overhaul around 150k miles

O_E

hahnmgh63
July 19th, 2014, 01:34
I did the Gates Racing belt in the RS6 almost 3yrs ago and it still looks like new (just inspected it two weeks ago), but as Dhall said, it is rare nowadays to hear of a Audi timing belt (Conit?) go but not unheard of to hear of a Waterpump, roller, or tensioner pulley to go.
I also just put a Gates Racing belt (exact same as the RS6 belt) in my girlfriends '05 A8 a few weeks ago. With the A8 their are a couple of lugs on the Cam housing that the belt needs to squeeze between and the Cam pulley that are tighter than the RS6 and the Gates belt just made it but it is definitely a little thicker than the OEM belt.

Zorb
August 9th, 2014, 06:11
Has anyone actually experienced a timing belt failure on the RS6? If so, what was the situation? I am looking at number of miles, type of damage to belt, etc. Mine is about to get its second replacement, but I am wondering what the margin is? Mine will be done ahead of schedule (75000, while first was done at 43000 and prior to my ownership of the car) but what is the real world endurance of this part? I must admit to always looking down at belt driven timing, having owned several BMWs (2 4.4s and one 5.4) and 3 Cadillac 4.6's, so I really don't understand what I have gotten myself into here. I wish it were easier to disassemble to inspect, but I can't see that working out on a more than annual basis, which for me should be around 5-6000 miles.

Mr. Rictus
August 11th, 2014, 13:35
It's not really the belts that fail on these motors (although it does happen). The bolts that hold the various rollers and tensioners in place can shear off.

MaxRS6
August 11th, 2014, 14:27
It's not really the belts that fail on these motors (although it does happen). The bolts that hold the various rollers and tensioners in place can shear off.

The below was my bolt shear fun adventure...Fortunately- turned out okay.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22502-Timing-Belt-The-past-48-hours?highlight=roller

hahnmgh63
August 12th, 2014, 21:01
Due to MaxRS6's experience, I replaced all of the Bolts/Studs with new ones when I did my last 75K (@65K) timing belt job. Make sure to properly torque all of these.

Zorb
August 12th, 2014, 23:41
Due to MaxRS6's experience, I replaced all of the Bolts/Studs with new ones when I did my last 75K (@65K) timing belt job. Make sure to properly torque all of these.

I'm 4000 miles from doing my 75K service (at 75K because the 35K was done at 43K by previous owner). Do you have the part numbers by chance for the bolts you replaced? I agree that it seems like a good "while you're at it" replacement to do them.

Turbowned
August 13th, 2014, 01:32
Sounds like a fantastic waste of money if you have to change it every 35k anyway...

hahnmgh63
August 13th, 2014, 03:12
The Timing Belt is the same as the S8 & A8 of around the same years. Most of the rollers/tensioners are the same so I definitely wouldn't feel bad to go past 45K. Just did my girlfriends A8 at 80K (75K recommended) and it all looked real good still.

G2
August 13th, 2014, 08:23
I wonder if the bolts are shearing on the second use? Any info on this?

Beside my personal anecdote of having replaced many VAG t-belts using the old bolts and none failing so far. Been using t-belt kits with hardware as of late due to availability.

G2
August 17th, 2014, 00:20
Haven't heard of any failures yet....hope to keep it that way. I have 3 Gates racing belts. One for the RS6, one for the B5 V6, and an extra for any discerning customer car.

Just did a B7 A4 t-belt job a smidge after due date (110K). The smaller idlers were not doing so well, water pump was loose and seaping, and the big rollers weren't happy either.

Been kicking the can around on figuring a way to make or modify the smaller idler pulleys. Terrifies me just looking at those single-row itsy bitsy skateboard bearings the factory uses....