PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control Fan Failure

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 02:30
Does anyone have any idea why the fan on the climate control would stop working and then come back on 20 minutes later? I did not even have a chance to stop and check the fuse, it just started working again. No strange noises.

Thanks,

Mike

V8weight
May 20th, 2011, 03:02
Either the fan has just failed (mine did at about 60k), or there is an issue with the climate control head. Have you scanned the climate control module with your VCDS? Check for a stored code for no communication with climate control module with instrument cluster.

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 12:45
Good idea. I'm on it!

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 17:12
So, no errors can be found with VAG-COM.

This morning the fan was not working, drove about 20 minutes, put it on the highest setting and it came on and worked normally, ie at all speed settings. No noises.

Anyone know how to access that fan for replacement? Let me guess: Pull The Engine?

Mike

V8weight
May 20th, 2011, 17:20
So, no errors can be found with VAG-COM.

This morning the fan was not working, drove about 20 minutes, put it on the highest setting and it came on and worked normally, ie at all speed settings. No noises.

Anyone know how to access that fan for replacement? Let me guess: Pull The Engine?

Mike
Ten minute job, remove the glove box assembly (like 6 8mm bolts) and the fan is right there in front of you.

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 17:27
Thank Goodness!

I suspect perhaps the problem is similar to my driver's side air bag and one of the heat sensors. I just cleaned the contacts on the wire harness and both have been fine for more than 20,000 miles.

I thought that a failiing fan would make some noise? If a motor winding fails, why would it come back on? Strange behavior. Jee if I pull the glove box and im in the neighborhood maybe I'll fish out the TCU box? LOL..

Mike

V8weight
May 20th, 2011, 17:54
Could be the fan control module located on the bottom of the HVAC box next to the blower fan.

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 19:15
Thanks V8weight, you're a treasure trove of information!!

I'll first dig it out, unplug, clean contacts and see what happens next.

Mike

mmaturo
May 22nd, 2011, 01:36
I replaced 8 head units early in my RS6s life for a damper problem where it ran like normal for 45 minutes to an hour and then a damper would close for whatever reason not allowing any air out of the dash. Soooo annoying. I'm still wondering why others never talked about it as i really did go through 8 units in a 2 year period.

Aronis
May 22nd, 2011, 02:53
I cleaned to contacts. No change.

Tap the fan and it came on! So I removed the fan and it ran fine with only a little noise at low speed. Replaced fan. Did not start until I moved the speed setting up past about 1/4.

So I suspect the fan is the problem. Easy enough to replace.

I'll see what it does over the next few days. Banging the underside of the glove box got it running yesterday!

Mike

kevin
May 22nd, 2011, 04:59
your fan most likely has worn out brushes, replace it...

Aronis
May 23rd, 2011, 01:10
Agreed!!

hahnmgh63
May 23rd, 2011, 01:30
At least it is a cheap and fairly easy fix. Those fans have been used in many Audi models going back to the early 90's.