PDA

View Full Version : Polo R

Joker
May 16th, 2011, 19:50
VW is still wavering on whether or not a Polo R is actually coming but the recent news that a Polo R WRC was headed for a rally debut in 2013 makes the likelihood that Volkswagen will produce a road-going variant far greater.
According to VW board member Ulrich Hackenberg, the coming Polo R WRC boosts a street-legal variant's chances but the model may take some time to make it to market.
"You can see how the World Rally Championship programme would increase the probability of an R version of the base model [Polo]. It is with the rally programme, not before it. I can't give a precise date, but it's along those lines."
That means a market introduction for the Polo R won't happen before 2013.
A Polo R derived from the WRC program would spread development costs around and improve the business case for building the model - the one factor that held VW back for so long.
But a more cost-viable Polo R may not share the same powertrain as the WRC Polo R. That rally racer comes with a 1.6-liter TSI engine with 300 PS (221 kW / 296 hp) and an all-wheel drive system. The road-going Polo R may come with VW Group's 1.4 TSI tuned to above the 200 PS (147 kW / 197 bhp) mark and may not have an all-wheel drive system, like the Golf R does, but instead be a front-drive model like the Scirocco R.
The current Polo GTI comes with a 1.4 TSI with 180 PS (132 kW / 178 hp) 249 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque.

Joker
May 16th, 2011, 19:52
So what does this mean for the Audi S1.

AndyBG
May 16th, 2011, 23:49
Same technik, diferent body... Nothing new for VAG!

Joker
May 18th, 2011, 07:44
Same technik, diferent body... Nothing new for VAG!

Quite possibly, but it does make the likelihood of an S1 being more likely, though I don't agree with their opinion of a 1.4 engine. I think it will retain the same 1.6 of the rally car but definitely not as big as the 2.0 unit used in the S3 and Golf R, also in the case of the Audi it will definitely get quattro, something that all performance Audi come with and make them quite unique.