PDA

View Full Version : Shift paddles

JSRS6
May 13th, 2011, 01:47
Was wondering if there are any options for larger shift paddles? I really liked the ones on the ISF's we drove this week. They stuck out more and were easier to reach without having to roll your hand around the steering wheel like ours.

marklar182
May 13th, 2011, 02:39
Sportec has a set.

JSRS6
May 13th, 2011, 02:40
Yeah, i saw the thread from 03, but i didnt see the paddles on the site. are they under a different car?

Stephencl
May 13th, 2011, 03:00
MACARBON also does a set for our car....they run about $700.00 if I remember right...

Stephen

skribe
May 13th, 2011, 03:21
Agencypower makes some... Not sure if they'll fit our cars.

JSRS6
May 13th, 2011, 04:31
I saw that. Not too keen on some stick on paddles, even if they ARE real carbon fiber...

ben916
May 13th, 2011, 04:37
I emailed the original poster/owner of the RS6 that had them from Sportec. He sold the car quite a long time ago.
I also emailed Sportec quite some time ago and asked if they had a set or sets - nein....

EDIT:
http://www.sportec.ch/files/documents/articles/2478b14f4160f5a33c2e1709481db704.pdf
Page 5
Part # 10 40 01 540 C

Stephencl
May 13th, 2011, 16:47
OHHHHHHH, I got to have a set of those paddles.... anyone group buy? Who has a Sportec relationship?

Stephen

ben916
May 13th, 2011, 19:31
OHHHHHHH, I got to have a set of those paddles.... anyone group buy? Who has a Sportec relationship?

Stephen

I couldn't find a price nor a location in the US to email....grrr

speedtrapped
May 13th, 2011, 20:19
droooooollllllllll

SteveKen
May 13th, 2011, 21:14
I can sell my set of stock paddles if anyone wants to try and modify them or use them for mocking up some larger ones.

Couple somewhat unrelated thoughts:

1. I might be drawing some flames here, but I don't see the point of paddle shifting a tiptronic. Especially with the reliability issues it's known to have.

2. The F1 style paddle shifts in the Gallardo, etc. Is this an actual automatic transmission or a manual with electronic/hydraulic clutch or what? Or do you have to press a clutch in before you paddle shif up or down. Or is the transmission meant to handle a type of bump shifting? Just wondering as I have an idea in my head for another project.

Stephencl
May 13th, 2011, 21:38
The transmission in the Gallardo is a graziano six speed manual that is electronically actuated. It is the same transmission that is in the Ferrari, masarati, aston martin etc... It is a true manual box, where the paddles instigate the actuation of the clutch. The new Porsche PDK is actually 2 manual gearboxed is one case where the next gear sits ready to engage on a separate spline, so when you shift it engages a separate spline for each gear...so 135 and 246 are own their own shafts.

Hope that made sense.

Stephen

Spidercat
May 14th, 2011, 00:52
JSRS6,
What about these:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19530-Removing-Paddle-Shifters-anyone-know-how?highlight=paddles

Sorry for the link action, but I'm at work and can't copy/paste/post images.

I've had them for a few years now, and I still love them! My car is always in Tip mode, btw.
I can take more pix of the bottom, if you want. I don't think the e-bay link still works, but I can give you the guy's contact info that made them. They are super-high quality machined billet aluminum. They feel and look great, and are the perfect size.

JSRS6
May 14th, 2011, 01:16
Josh.s.ray@me.com

Spidercat
May 14th, 2011, 01:21
I'll send them tonight my time, 0-dark-something-or-other your time.

JSRS6
May 14th, 2011, 02:16
I'm sure I'll be up, lol.

Stephencl
May 14th, 2011, 02:23
Please pm me with details if possible. Love the alu look. Finish looks really nice.

Stephen

JSRS6
May 14th, 2011, 02:34
Yeah, this is exactly what i was talking about.

skribe
May 14th, 2011, 03:04
want . . . .

ben916
May 14th, 2011, 07:15
Please pm me with details if possible. Love the alu look. Finish looks really nice.

Stephen

Me also, please.
Or Josh, can you forward also?

Spidercat
May 14th, 2011, 09:32
Took a little digging around, but you guys are worth it!
http://www.madracing.net/html/main.html

Here's an image on my car:
http://www.rs6.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
Haven't posted pix in quite a long time, seems the format changed since the last time...hope it worked.

Stephencl
May 14th, 2011, 16:19
Someone needs to lead a group buy on these. Price is pretty fair for what your getting, but we should be able to get 10 orders together pretty readily. Anyone want to take it on?

Stephen

Stephencl
May 14th, 2011, 16:30
I have sent them an email on a discount for 10 sets ordered. I will let everyone know.

Stephen

JSRS6
May 14th, 2011, 16:32
Haha, i just emailed him as well.

kevin
May 14th, 2011, 17:13
put me down for a set please!

speedtrapped
May 14th, 2011, 23:22
I'm in, lugs those

speedtrapped
May 14th, 2011, 23:23
Damn spell correct, ah hell u all knew what I meant

ben916
May 15th, 2011, 00:26
Took a little digging around, but you guys are worth it!
http://www.madracing.net/html/main.html

Here's an image on my car:
http://www.rs6.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
Haven't posted pix in quite a long time, seems the format changed since the last time...hope it worked.

sweet!
"<big>$325.00 + $10 shipping, payable in US Dollars.</big>" that is before possible group buy...

Also, can you elaborate a little about those switches....

Spidercat
May 15th, 2011, 01:07
Oh, those switches...
Damn!
Does nothing get by you???
The LED on the right is for the Laser Detector/Jammer. Over two years- no problems, no glitches, no tickets.
The one on the left is for my DMH electric exhaust dump valves, which are now where my cats used to be. I've had them for about a year now, and no problems. Perfect solution for me- bone stock quiet when it needs to be, and earth-shaking when I want it to be!

JSRS6
May 15th, 2011, 01:14
Gonna need a vid of that...:hihi:

ben916
May 15th, 2011, 01:31
Oh, those switches...
Damn!
Does nothing get by you???
The LED on the right is for the Laser Detector/Jammer. Over two years- no problems, no glitches, no tickets.
The one on the left is for my DMH electric exhaust dump valves, which are now where my cats used to be. I've had them for about a year now, and no problems. Perfect solution for me- bone stock quiet when it needs to be, and earth-shaking when I want it to be!

That is REALLY clean looking!
dump valves? what fer? waking the neighbors? embarassing Prius drivers? Schooling Hemi drivers?

skribe
May 15th, 2011, 01:47
Need vid of your exhaust cut-outs. Too much fun...

Spidercat
May 15th, 2011, 01:51
Yes, all of the above. Mostly for my own stress relief. Also used as audible foglights in rush hour. I have vids, will post soon. I'm horrible with utube.

KahalaM5
May 15th, 2011, 18:15
I have these paddles on my car and can verify that the quality and functionality is outstanding. You'll all love them...

SteveKen
May 16th, 2011, 15:55
The transmission in the Gallardo is a graziano six speed manual that is electronically actuated. It is the same transmission that is in the Ferrari, masarati, aston martin etc... It is a true manual box, where the paddles instigate the actuation of the clutch. The new Porsche PDK is actually 2 manual gearboxed is one case where the next gear sits ready to engage on a separate spline, so when you shift it engages a separate spline for each gear...so 135 and 246 are own their own shafts.

Hope that made sense.

Stephen

So does the driver let of the gas before shifting up/down? Either way, it's got to feel unnatural to do this. I"m so used to driving and clutching and rowing, etc.

Now in my Smart, it actually has a manual transmission with an electronic clutch that serves as an automatic transmission of sorts. It has paddles too but the effort takes probably 100 times longer than an F1 transmission.

JSRS6
May 16th, 2011, 17:02
So does the driver let of the gas before shifting up/down? Either way, it's got to feel unnatural to do this. I"m so used to driving and clutching and rowing, etc.

Now in my Smart, it actually has a manual transmission with an electronic clutch that serves as an automatic transmission of sorts. It has paddles too but the effort takes probably 100 times longer than an F1 transmission.

No, you don't let off the gas in the lambo, same as our cars.

O/T, they have big paddles for your smart car online, lol.

SteveKen
May 16th, 2011, 17:11
No, you don't let off the gas in the lambo, same as our cars.

O/T, they have big paddles for your smart car online, lol.

lol. I don't even use them. You press the + button, wait a while, then it shifts.

I think the stock paddles 'as-is' are already big. I was thinking if they would actually be compatible with the RS6's wheel?

I have to admit, the computer does a really good job. It picks it's shift points and seems to rev match when it shifts. Very good from the economical standpoint. I laugh every time I go in reverse and hear the distinct whine of the gears, as in most manual cars.

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 04:42
I just got an email from Dominic@madracing:

I am in contact with Stephen from the forum with regards to a group buy.* Details forthcoming.

Thanks,
Dominic Maraglia
MADRacing

Stephencl
May 20th, 2011, 04:42
Folks,

I heard back from the owner today. He only has four sets left. Three have slight blems, and one has slight scratches on the back side. He is willing to give us a great deal on the paddles. He will not be making any more.

I know that Stephen and Josh want a set, so that leaves one set left. It will be around $215 a set shipped, and I should have some photos of the paddles tomorrow. The blems are all cosmetic and could be further buffed out.

Let me know if someone would like the fourth set. I will pay for them all, and have them sent to me, and will distribute.

warm regards,

Stephen

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 04:45
Will you bring my set to the dyno day? I'll take the worst looking set, I'm not picky.

Stephencl
May 20th, 2011, 14:23
Ben, skribe and Kevin,

You three all indicated an interest in these paddles last week. I have one set left. They will be $210 plus shipping. They have a slight blemish that can not be seen from more than 6 inches away. I won't get them to ship out until the end of next week. Please pm me if you would like them. First come, first served.

In addition the ttshop in the uk may also have a set or two left in stock, but you would need to check with them. These will no longer be made by Dominic.

Thanks,

Stephen

speedtrapped
May 20th, 2011, 14:28
Stephen? what happened?

speedtrapped
May 20th, 2011, 14:32
ooops sorry Stephen, didnt see above

Stephencl
May 20th, 2011, 14:36
ooops sorry Stephen, didnt see above

Got you covered!

speedtrapped
May 20th, 2011, 14:39
mucho gracias amigo

Chung
May 20th, 2011, 15:41
A little off topic but why is it on our DIS the numbers go 5 4 3 2 1 and the - is on the left with the plus on the right. For some reason it really annoys me that my indicator goes left when I press the right button.

Aronis
May 20th, 2011, 17:29
A little off topic but why is it on our DIS the numbers go 5 4 3 2 1 and the - is on the left with the plus on the right. For some reason it really annoys me that my indicator goes left when I press the right button.

! Wow I never really took notice of that! That's funny!

I would have liked a setting where you can make the entire center display show the gear with a single large number!

Mike

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 17:40
Yeah, it does seem weird...just go 6-speed and you won't be annoyed by it anymore!

ben916
May 20th, 2011, 17:56
Ben, skribe and Kevin,

You three all indicated an interest in these paddles last week. I have one set left. They will be $210 plus shipping. They have a slight blemish that can not be seen from more than 6 inches away. I won't get them to ship out until the end of next week. Please pm me if you would like them. First come, first served.

In addition the ttshop in the uk may also have a set or two left in stock, but you would need to check with them. These will no longer be made by Dominic.

Thanks,

Stephen

In Please!
PM me your address information to send the funds...

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 18:02

Thanks,

Stephen

I talked to Dominic and I am trying to get the cad file from him so I may start selling them and possibly making a new file based off the old one and modifying the paddles a little taller and wider from steering wheel center.

Stephencl
May 20th, 2011, 18:12
Very cool. I would like to make the scribed 'plus' and 'minus' signs a little larger/wider and then paint them red or black. Always cool stuff to do. I love the idea of carrying the torch forward. Great idea Josh.

Stephencl
May 20th, 2011, 18:12
In Please!
PM me your address information to send the funds...

Ben,

I will PM you my email etc...

Stephen

ben916
May 20th, 2011, 18:19
I talked to Dominic and I am trying to get the cad file from him so I may start selling them and possibly making a new file based off the old one and modifying the paddles a little taller and wider from steering wheel center.

That would be very cool!
You could "personalize" them to peeps bling needs....

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 18:47
And anodizing! The plus and minus modification would be very easy.

ben916
May 20th, 2011, 18:49
How does the backside look/feel?
I hope there is some tactical grip... or is that what gloves are for?

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 18:59
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/jsrs6/058c7ddb.jpg

ben916
May 20th, 2011, 19:02
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/jsrs6/058c7ddb.jpg

A blank post... how did you do that? :)

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 19:03
Look again.

ben916
May 20th, 2011, 19:24
Look again.

much better!

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 20:53
Good news for the rest of you guys:

Joshua,

The 3D cad models represent a significant investment of time and money; I can not simply give the models away.* I am surprised at the number of people who are interested in the paddles from the RS6 forums.* I am willing to do another production run if I can get enough people interested.* I will post some information of the RS6 forum in the near future.

Best regards,

Dominic Maraglia
MADRacing

I imagine a deposit will be required from each member wanting a set. Stay tuned. When I get mine, I will make a cad model on my Mac based off the set. My model will likely be what I described earlier, taller and wider from center.

JSRS6
May 20th, 2011, 20:55
Just to be clear, it will NOT be a copy. It will be based off of the original, just like these are based off the TT paddles.

JSRS6
June 30th, 2011, 00:49
Got mine in the mail today(thanks Stephen) and just had a chance to install them. They definitely feel better.

Will post again once ive had a chance to use them...

speedtrapped
June 30th, 2011, 02:00
Looks great!, got mine as well, ty Stephen for setting up!,,

speedtrapped
June 30th, 2011, 02:36
Awesome mod, took 5 minutes to install, they look great

Stephencl
June 30th, 2011, 03:17
The question of the hour is who found their blems? I think Josh may have noticed his, as he self selected into the 'worst' condition pair. Stephen, did you find the blem on yours?

Glad you like them. They are awesome to shift with. I found myself in manual tip mode now almost 100% of the time.....

Gonna be time for a new tranny soon.

Stephen

ben916
June 30th, 2011, 04:30
I haven't really taken a super close look but I do like the + and the - on there, I was thinking of painting the symbols...

Stephencl
June 30th, 2011, 05:16
Painted my symbols with some testors enamel.....black for - and red for +. Looks awesome.

Stephen

ben916
June 30th, 2011, 05:40
Painted my symbols with some testors enamel.....black for - and red for +. Looks awesome.

Stephen

Do you have a photo?

speedtrapped
June 30th, 2011, 12:52
Stephen,
I must of gotten the perfect set. Lol...didnt see a blemish. but they look great.

PALETTE
June 30th, 2011, 14:35
Any sets kicking around?

speedtrapped
July 1st, 2011, 16:39
corey....not sure but I think stephencl set up group buy and there were none left. Pm him

ben916
July 1st, 2011, 17:16
corey....not sure but I think stephencl set up group buy and there were none left. Pm him

There were 4:
Speedtrapped
Ben916
JSRS6
Stephencl

lswing
July 1st, 2011, 19:03
I'm in for the next set if there's one....looks great, works excellent I bet. What about the metal being smooth and not having edges like the plastic?

JSRS6
July 1st, 2011, 19:28
Any sets kicking around?

None kicking around, but once i make my own cad model on here, ill se what the cost would be, as there is a shop about a mile from me that has a cnc machine.

ThrillHouse
July 1st, 2011, 20:36
I have access to a few CNC machines (father owns a shop) I don't know what he can do with metals and I know he is *real* busy now. I plan on asking him about it...

JSRS6
July 1st, 2011, 20:40
That would help, but the model file still needs to be made.

bmlee007
July 3rd, 2011, 01:36
Count me in for a set as well. Although I plan on going 6-speed in the future, it'd be nice to add a little bling in the cockpit.

SiLRS6
July 3rd, 2011, 02:19
I would like bigger paddles. What about the new RS6 wheel. probably really expensive.

ben916
July 6th, 2011, 05:07
something that hasn't commented upon:

There seems to be onesy twosy of items for the RS6; case in point - these paddles, the Euro RS6 Recaro seats, that wicked air damn that Boosted-Bora and Johnnie have, the carbon fiber belly pan, FMU intake, etc.

speedtrapped
July 15th, 2011, 16:04
ok gentleman, I was just wondering if any of you have a source that makes paddles for domestic....the paddles on the cts-v are like MB, lame ass buttons on back of steering wheel

uncfrk
July 17th, 2011, 08:03
http://hornrim.com/websites/carbonix/web/?q=node/14

speedtrapped
July 18th, 2011, 02:34
Cool, but not going to work. I spoke with lingenfelter about producing some for cts-v with shifter buttons, GM likes to call em paddles..then again so did MB. They are looking into it. Need em for my car, the dynamic sport mode only works in TIP, and buttons are awkward.

uncfrk
July 18th, 2011, 03:12
I will build 2 or 3 pair when I build my own. Once the fixture is built, I can easily modify the design. My idea is keeping it looking a little more similar to stock with personalizing possible for about an hour of design time (about $70/ hr). Aluminum with a satin finish and special finger slots milled on the back. We might be able to start on them this week.