PDA

View Full Version : Some ridiculous Audi pricing

hahnmgh63
May 8th, 2011, 19:46
Of course while the engine is out I'm replacing all of the gaskets, hoses, and O-rings on the back of the engine that I can't get at after I re-install the engine. Stock is fine in most cases but if it is just a straight hose why not upgrade to Silicone right? Well, the aluminum collector pipe the MAF's plug into has a short straight piece of hose(2"I.D. x 2.5" long) that connects to each Turbo (p/n 077 129 628). Easy piece to replace with Silicone & better clamps but I thought I would check Audi's price anyways.....$82 for this litttle simple piece. I could have went to Napa or Autozone and got a comparable black rubber hose for $5. This piece is upstream of the Turbo's and subjected to a bit of heat but is not under pressure? I just ordered a bunch of Silicone hose and for those 2 x $82 pieces I got a piece of 2" x 12" silicone non chinese Silicone hose for $27, enough for both sides and plenty left over for another project. How ridiculous Audi.
I'm sure the Audi pieces are race bred or something, Sliver Arrows or Lemans heritage though. I also decided not to do a TTRS when it comes out and took my name off my dealers list since were not getting the Selectronic tranny, just the 6 speed. Anyone read the new Car & Driver, the Selectronic is 1.5 seconds faster to 60mph with launch control. Once again, we are getting a watered down version of the car. No sports seats, etc...
If you buy Silicone hose from http://www.stylinmotors.com/ enter coupon code volvospeed and you get 10% discount, and no, I am not a Volvo fan :)

4everRS
May 8th, 2011, 20:15
do you have a pic of this? I am pulling my engine whenever ace sends me a converter and want to be sure to take care of the things I'll be able to get to.

hahnmgh63
May 8th, 2011, 20:21
11322Attached here is the pic of the left hose I'm talking about, the one on the right side is identical. Sorry this is not my pic I'm modifying, just one from the archives as I'm too lazy to go out to the shop and take a pic. Just a simple straight hose at $82 each.

Jimmy
May 9th, 2011, 12:23
Agreed, that's silly to be priced like that, looks to be really about 0.82 cents of rubber hose. Even at $8.20 I'm sure would net Audi profit off it.

...is it prone to fail?

marklar182
May 9th, 2011, 13:22
...is it prone to fail?

Aside from heat, I doubt it will be a fail item due to being non-pressurized.

hahnmgh63
May 9th, 2011, 15:21
I thnk it would easily be a well over 100K part but due to the heat the hose does get a little hard but I still think they would go 100K +.

vitalian
May 9th, 2011, 15:23
Maybe the word "Audi" is like the words "marine" and "wedding," i.e., when you put that word in front of another word, the price of the item in question increases exponentially. Examples:

Gasket: $4.99
Marine gasket: $26.99

Dress: $250
Wedding dress: $5500

Hose: 82 cents
Audi hose: $82

I am in the wrong business!

mmaturo
May 9th, 2011, 18:57
I'm with you on the TTRS...love the S tronic on my S5 cabrio, and wanted the TTRS with it....name is still on RS5 list.

uncfrk
May 9th, 2011, 23:57
Maybe the word "Audi" is like the words "marine" and "wedding," i.e., when you put that word in front of another word, the price of the item in question increases exponentially. Examples:

Gasket: $4.99
Marine gasket: $26.99

Dress: $250
Wedding dress: $5500

Hose: 82 cents
Audi hose: $82

I am in the wrong business!

Its like Cessna voltage regulator vs. Ford regulator. Same item. $342 compared to $28. (Thank you to the unknown Aircraft mechanic at the Boulder airport a few years ago)