PDA

View Full Version : y'all hear?

vBob
May 4th, 2011, 16:28
BMW's next M5 is turbo'ed V8 *and* with AWD! I swear I seen that setup somewhere, sometime ago... However, the new M5 may get Getrag 7-speed DSG, and the torque is up there, too. The exterior is BMW and on the flashy side, but I'm not convinced of the interior - although the design would be comfortable in $30k car. Hopefully the rumor is true that Audi will announce the RS6 very soon instead of introducing it at the end of platform life.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/2012-f10-bmw-m5-will-offer-an-all-wheel-drive-awd-verson/
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110503/CARNEWS/110509951
http://www.worldcarfans.com/111040831324/2012-bmw-m5-to-offer-all-wheel-drive---report

DHall1
May 4th, 2011, 16:35
Funny really, it looks like an Audi that someone cut the trunk off to make a stubby.

My 7yr old RS6 is faster with cleaner lines.

I pass.

JSRS6
May 4th, 2011, 17:17
8 years old now, Dave... :hihi:

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 17:53
Let's see how long BMW "offers" the AWD in the M5...
My guess is not long...

Also, there is something drastically odd about the a$$ end of that car but I just can't figure it out...

amanda
May 4th, 2011, 18:21
Hmmm it seems like bmw have seen the light and followed audi's lead after 30yrs..................................... :) Ohhh they are a bit slow!!!!!!

Carbonman
May 4th, 2011, 19:02
Not a fan. Ever since Bangle and now Adrian Van Hooydonk, the only car BMW has gotten correct is the 3-series. The side profile on this new M5 is wrong too - looks like a Dodge Charger front end. I don't like the slight negative rake to the hood line as it meets the windshield. As mentioned above, BMW can't get the back end of a car correct to save their lives. I do like the direct front view - pretty nice looking from there. We'll see what happens but don't sign me up.

vitalian
May 4th, 2011, 19:24
Also, there is something drastically odd about the a$$ end of that car but I just can't figure it out...

I'll tell you what's wrong with it...it's ugly!:)

Seriously, though, it's too chopped-off looking, like they ran out of materials before the car was finished, so the balance of the design is all out of whack. Plus, those tail lights and the cutouts for the exhaust make it look cheap. Honestly, I think a Hyundai Sonata looks nicer from the rear than that thing.

ben916
May 4th, 2011, 19:28
... the direct front view - pretty nice looking from there....

That is all I will see.......via my rear view mirror!!!! :)

Jimmy Joe
May 4th, 2011, 22:34
BMWs series 3 & 5 were very nice looking, coherent cars, up to 2005, and even then from 2001 or 2002, we could see changes in the head lights shape that made them look like the eyes of the monster in the film "The creature from the Black Lagoon", not to mention that the rear of the former series 7 was lifted straight from the old Stratus. Maybe Dr. Piech could lend them Walter da Silva?

mmaturo
May 5th, 2011, 04:45
Big skip here...I will keep waiting for my next RS. Too ugly, too late to the AWD party and terrible interior. At one point or another a BMW (my old X5, any 6 series from the first time around, '03 5 series) or MB (anything older than 2000, the first CLK 500 and the CLS I was ok with) ) looked good to me but NONE do now.

dmross
May 5th, 2011, 16:16
I love the look of the new M5... but I'll take it in RWD please! :D