PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter housing hell....

speedtrapped
May 4th, 2011, 02:55
5 days into spirited driving the beast and a small oil leak appeared at the housing. Turns out it was the AN fittings into the housing. Easy fix, butttttt to wrench the lines off they had to remove filter housing, risking oil o-ring not resealing, guess what, it didn't. New o-ring installed today, and oops banjo fitting on top leaking, by this time it was 5 pm so borrowing whole set up off my old engine, goes In tomorrow. New was 1200.00, no way.
Lesson learned, as Pat had advised, let them drive car for week before handing back, I was incredibly impatient by the 50th day, and after they drove it for one full day, I whined that I wanted it. Sorry just venting, it is very minor and she runs awesome.

PALETTE
May 4th, 2011, 03:44
That's crazy! Again go giver he'll bro! Can't wait for you vbox runs man

SteveKen
May 4th, 2011, 14:14
Why didn't they just replace the banjo washers? I can't see replacing the whole oil cooler assembly because now you're breaking the figure 8 o-ring seal again as well as the coolant pipe. . . unless something is stripped??? On the RS6, I don't see any way to properly do this without dropping the engine.

I spent last weekend with my S6 replacing the coolant pipe and it was nearly impossible with the just the NA V8. Audi had no logical reason to use shallow height socket head cap screws when full height headed ones clear everything just fine. They strip out very easy when they're difficult to access. What a PITA.

Good luck though. BTW, I thought you sold your engine? Maybe just the short block? I've got an extra RS6 oil cooler bracket/assy that I'll sell you for $1150 + $49 S&H. LOL

On second thought, maybe you are correct in replacing the entire assy since this is the engine mounting bracket. Maybe the accident could have damaged something?

speedtrapped
May 4th, 2011, 14:23
I agree with your assesment... I think, given point of impact, the engine was removed, dropped in mine, redropped and then bolted up, matter fact one of the oil lines to the cooler was scrapped pretty bad, so my thought is, some impact? I have had my eyes on several times, NO damage to entire engine...They are lowering engine to get to assembly, and I dont have to pay for it. As for the engine, the guy is a constant tire kicker...If it doesnt sell, I am removing engine from shop and storing. They are rare.....maybe down the road rebuild internals?