PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filters

bilbozilla
October 2nd, 2003, 01:01
Will the K&N air filters for the S6 work with the RS6?

iconcls
October 2nd, 2003, 01:07
Many seem to think that K&N filters damage Audi MAF sensors.

Bauer
October 2nd, 2003, 01:26
I have heard the same thing:eek:

bilbozilla
October 2nd, 2003, 01:53
Better safe than sorry. Question answered, and there will be no K&N. Thanks for the response.

JAXRS6
October 2nd, 2003, 04:30
I had a K&N on my '98 A4 1.8T; no problems. But I didn't put one on my '00 S4 after reading in the audiworld.com forum that the K&Ns caused problems with that model -- the result being oil sprayed onto the engine IIRC.

avdh
October 2nd, 2003, 05:29
I have used BMC air filters with both the S6 and the S3 for the past 2 years without any problems.

The trick is not to be liberal with the special oil. People put too much and than you get blocked MAF's.

Also after I clean the filter and apply the oil, I leave the filter lying on old newspaper for a few hours, even overnight thus excess oil will run out.

From what I understand, the RS6 Air filters are different than the S6.

Rally
October 2nd, 2003, 18:39
Testing proved that the stock Audi filter on a 2.7t was just as efficient as a K&N filter.

chucklane
October 2nd, 2003, 19:26
I have a K&N on my S8 should i get rid of it? Go back to stock or could you tell me a better filter?

I dont know how to make this pic post but i want it as my sig :( it just comes up like this

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/34752/dsc01862.t.jpg http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/34752/dsc01862.t.jpg

iconcls
October 2nd, 2003, 20:27
Apparently, K&N also presents problems to the M5.

K&N v. M5 MAF (http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35565)

avdh
October 4th, 2003, 06:34
Simple test:

Try to breathe through an Audi filter and then do the same with a K&N or BMC.

Arthur
October 6th, 2003, 21:36
Originally posted by avdh
Simple test:

Try to breathe through an Audi filter and then do the same with a K&N or BMC.

I will bye a BMC filter to my Audi S4 V8. I hope it will be fine! :confused:

Regards
//Arthur

TaTaPiRaTa
November 5th, 2003, 22:44
Originally posted by avdh
I have used BMC air filters with both the S6 and the S3 for the past 2 years without any problems.

The trick is not to be liberal with the special oil. People put too much and than you get blocked MAF's.

Also after I clean the filter and apply the oil, I leave the filter lying on old newspaper for a few hours, even overnight thus excess oil will run out.

From what I understand, the RS6 Air filters are different than the S6.

There is BMC filter available for RS6 on BMC's web page :confused:

Erik
November 5th, 2003, 23:03
OK. This is how I understood it.

The problem is the oil, not the filter itself as long as you keep it clean.

If there's too much oil on the filter (and I guess people think it's good to have a lot, 'I can afford it' type of thing) it will eventually get in touch with the tiny metal wire in the MAF and get cristalized. Poff!! And then you have no MAF any longer.

I changed 3 MAFs on my previous Volvo S70 AWD. They're about 350-400 USD each and you can have a lot of more fun for that money.

TaTaPiRaTa
November 8th, 2003, 10:03
so whats the bottom line: Do we put non Audi filters or not into our babies?
:confused:

jconley
November 8th, 2003, 13:50
Originally posted by bilbozilla
Will the K&N air filters for the S6 work with the RS6?

Call Hoppen Motorsports (MTM) and get the R8 filter.

J