PDA

View Full Version : Stock RS6 vs Subaru STI

YANORS6
April 30th, 2011, 10:55
I'm bone stock and my friend has a GT35r with a front mount 93oct and meth injection kit.

Man I got walked at 100 MPH. I wonder if a Eurocharged tune will make the race closer? Or at least get me more top end so I can keep up!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGibhqiNWM8

hahnmgh63
April 30th, 2011, 13:48
I've left behind a few STI's before, they can vary a lot depending on Mods, the stock STI's are no game. You definitely need a software flash as a minimum. Need some facts about the car: Mileage, running condition? Do you have Vagcom to run the codes just to see if anything is wrong? The big Turbo could answer why he came on later after spool-up and Meth injections along with the 93Oct would help his boost & timing if setup for it a lot.

PALETTE
April 30th, 2011, 13:58
I will let you know in 2 weeks! My wife’s cousin bought some Moded STI from Dave Marra BMX racer guy and has been talking smack since December.
<O:pI get the car back on Monday (fingers Crossed) and we will have it out the week later.

If your friend has a Big Turbo you wont keep up. They are 800lbs less then us on a good day. And if he removed anything or Carbon parts/ Race seats then it’s even harder to make it fair. I would say if you had a good tune not some off the self one then you would probably be in striking range, if you get the jump. <O:pKeep us posted.

4everRS
April 30th, 2011, 14:39
Like hahnmgh63 said, a tune for sure. My APR tune makes a huge difference in any speed. That said, I am particularly surprised at how much faster it is above 100 mph on the programs. Acceleration from 120 to 150 is unbelievable.

That said, he's got one big ass turbo on that thing and the meth is an added bonus.

YANORS6
April 30th, 2011, 21:58
I've left behind a few STI's before, they can vary a lot depending on Mods, the stock STI's are no game. You definitely need a software flash as a minimum. Need some facts about the car: Mileage, running condition? Do you have Vagcom to run the codes just to see if anything is wrong? The big Turbo could answer why he came on later after spool-up and Meth injections along with the 93Oct would help his boost & timing if setup for it a lot.

I'm stock. I have 58K miles. I don't have a vagcom but having owned turbo cars in the past Im pretty sure I dont have any turbo, intercooler, or exhaust leaks. I owned a all bolt on STI n a 20G w/ frontmount. But my friends Gt35r STI with Meth walked me from 100 n above.

I need some top end. It's kind of funny saying that and owning a v8!

hahnmgh63
May 1st, 2011, 01:20
Yea, like I said, a good tuning flash will make a world of difference throughout the range. After being on the list you probably realize that RS6's are prone to intercooler leaks, have you checked the front & back of yours for signs of oil seepage from the charged air? A small leak won't make much of a difference as the Turbo's can spin faster and the computer just keeps the wastegate closed longer to get the actual boost up to the requested level but you will first notice it in the bottom end I believe to the slight extra turbo lag? Anyone. I mentioned Vagcom but a boost leak will usually not show as a fault code but in a Boost log it should. And there can be intermittent codes thrown that are stored in the computer but won't necessarily set of the check engine light unitl the frequency of the fault gets to a certain point. I'll have to give you a shout next time I'm in Anchorage, I'm up there once every 3 or 4 months for a night, we can meet at Humpy's for a beer.

ttboost
May 1st, 2011, 01:42
Your worst enemy, (besides the tiny turbos) is your weight. RS6 is a tank. It's not about power, it's about power to weight ratio. You need exponentially more power to overcome weight, especially at higher speeds where wind resistance adds to the disadvantage (in case you didn't notice the awesome aerodynamics of the RS6). Do the math and you will know what you will need to do to keep up or beat a smaller car with more power.

2TURBOV8
May 1st, 2011, 05:12
I own both cars !! I have a 2004 Sti making 400 WHP @ 28 PSI, and my "Beast" that has the APR tune and other mods making about 425 WHP @ 18 PSI at peak boost. These two right now about very close in the 1/4 mile. My STi is quicker in the 1/8 mile, but the V8 catches up in the second half of the 1/4 mile. My best time so far with my STi in a 1/4 is 12.67, and the RS6 is 12.76. They both will run faster though ! My STi would probably be in the mid 11's if I really nailed it hard on the starting line. I don't push them to the breaking point though. A bone stock 2004 Sti can run low 13's with the right driver. A bone stock 2003 RS6 runs in the 14's. TTBOOST is right. The weight is the real disadvantage with this car. The acceleration in my STi is much quicker than the RS6 0-70 MPH just because of the weight difference. Both are a LOT of fun, but in different ways !! Just my take on the conversation.

ZCD2.7T
May 2nd, 2011, 15:01
A bone stock 2003 RS6 runs in the 14's.

Wha???

Car and Driver got 12.7, and most owners report high 12s to low 13s.

Just sayin'...

ben916
May 2nd, 2011, 20:07
Wha???

Just sayin'...

Those C&D drivers don't give a crap about the trans/TC when testing so they probably did a brake-stand, brought the RPM's up to 2000-2500 and then mashed the gas on the green light.
And on a cool day - no to low heatsoak.

How is the launch controlled?
RAT-FOOT-DUCK???

dmross
May 3rd, 2011, 20:23
I'm not surprised at all that a GT35R powered STI with meth would walk a stock RS6 - that's a 600hp+ turbo and an 800lb+ weight advantage.

johnnie27
May 5th, 2011, 00:57
Wha???

Just sayin'...

yep in 2003 when the RS6 was tested in oz by motor magazine, it realed of a 13.08 and the 2003 E55 AMG did a 12.99
an STI here depending on year runs 13.4-13.95 stock...and thats being might aggressive on a fragile driveline..in gear they rip though...esp with some extra boost etc