PDA

View Full Version : ECU error 16985 RS6 C5 avant

kilian tuning
April 29th, 2011, 19:26
Hi everybody,

ive got a ecu error which is:

16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error
P0601 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON

it is known this error appears when the car is tuned by ABT years ago.
it started with the engine control light, after scanning with vagcom the error above was displayed.
ive spoken to a well known tuner in Holland (JD Engineering) and they said its a common error with ABT chipped cars. some vw golfs had the same error. they said it wont affect performance its only annoying the engine control light keeps burning, so if theres something wrong with the engine in the future, it isnt noticable because the engine control light is already burning...
ive contacted ABT about it, because i dont know if mine is chipped, they adviced me to send my chassisnumber and error message so they could see if they chipped my car. its imported from Germany so its possible...
so there are 2 options, keep on driving with the engine control light on, or re-chip it and the light is gone...

Does anyone had the same issues?
What are the best chiptuners? ive heard Viper Tuning from England are awesome...

V8weight
April 29th, 2011, 20:11
This error basically means that whomever flashed your car used an outdated file as the base map. You either have to have the original tuner reflash the ecu with an updated file, or like you said, have it reflashed by another tuner. I went through this a while back myself, and opted to have Rich at Viper re-tune my car. I have nothing but good things to say about Rich and his tune.

kilian tuning
April 29th, 2011, 20:49
yes vipers great, what do they charge for a ecu remap?
and a tcu remap? ive heard its better first to remap the gearbox, second to chip the ecu...i dont even know where the tcu is located...
there are so many tuners its almost impossible to see the differences in hp. its also unsure which of the tuners will even reach the promised gain of hp...
ive seen a tuber in Holland (JD engineering) who claims 510-525 hp and about 700nm torque...they have a dyno so its nice the have a print before and after the tuning.

kilian tuning
May 11th, 2011, 11:19
ive send my ECU and TCU to Viper Tuning today to sort out the 16985 error and remap the TCU.

JSRS6
May 11th, 2011, 14:35
Better put a chute on the back of your beast too! That thing is gonna fly!

kilian tuning
May 15th, 2011, 17:04
i forgot to mention that vagcom doesnt notice my rear left parkingsensor is broken after the 16985 error.
maybe related to the 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error
P0601 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - MIL ON error...
vagcom did mention it before the error.

kilian tuning
May 16th, 2011, 22:06
update:

Rich from Viper Tuning put my ECU back to stock and solved the 16985 error and Viper Tuned my TCU.
He noticed my ECU/TCU was remapped but couldnt say by whom.

quote:
The Map was not great, did not do much with fuelling and ignition was low so you've not lost anything imo, stock map would be better!

TCU map, not quite sure whats going on there! Best be gone with that!

It will be send back tomorrow.

So im very happy with that and i hope to have a stage 1 Viper Tuning map soon...

Rich thank you so very much for your effort and knowledge!!!

kilian tuning
May 23rd, 2011, 11:29
i got my ECU/TCU back from Viper Tuning.
I will get the car his heart back.... and let you know.

kilian tuning
May 23rd, 2011, 16:19
I drove the car today after reinstalling the EC/TCU and the gearchanges are much smoother and less slipping.
Rich also said i should notice increase in power because of the bad remap being removed (back to stock for now, but for how long? planning a remap from Rich too), but because i havent driven to car for about 3 weeks (ive driven a 60 hp punto, so everything is quick compared to that) so it was hard to notice, although the acceleration was mindblowing...couldnt follow the speedo... so Rich is right
No more errors. But there is a possibility it can show up again Rich said, so fingers crossed. So far its amazing.

Thanks Rich