PDA

View Full Version : Un-drilled but anybody ever look at these Euro Phaeton floating two piece rotors?

hahnmgh63
April 27th, 2011, 02:59
http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_72_176&products_id=985
$795 per pair.

speedtrapped
April 27th, 2011, 03:09
Wow that's reasonable, my MB 2 piece floating drilled rotors were 700 per side !

hahnmgh63
April 27th, 2011, 03:12
I saw these on their website a couple of years ago (bought the Euro Aspherical mirrors from them) but forgot about them until I skimmed their website again today. They appear to be the type that use replacebale rings? Any Euro users know about these?

JSRS6
April 27th, 2011, 03:24
id be interested to know if the JHM rings would fit on these...

ben916
April 27th, 2011, 03:47
The description gives nothing on dimensions or weight or benefit or replacement rotor ring...
Mark, are you going to get information on these?

Stephencl
April 28th, 2011, 14:27
Guys,

I have looked at this swap before. The rotors ar 365x34 or an exact swap for ours. They are lighter due to the hat being aluminum. They are available for WAY less that $795. You can get them for Less than 300 british pounds, or 340 Euro last time I check (about 6 months ago). I could never find just the discs. But at 425 a set, they are pretty tough to go wrong...so why didnt I pull the trigger? Asthetics only. I like the RS logo and the drilled holes in the US rotor. If I had to buy again now, I would go the Phaeton way, and them have them slotted. DUH.

So if you are looking, or needing a brake change, this is a great way to go. VW part number is 3D0615301N.

Stephen

JSRS6
April 28th, 2011, 14:35
Stephen, I thought our hats were aluminum...?

Stephencl
April 28th, 2011, 15:01
You are right, they are, but they are either a rough casting, or coated, or something. They are not like the floating rotor hat. Which is almost like a CNC'd or stamped ice cream sandwich. Don't know how best to describe the difference.

Stephen

JSRS6
April 28th, 2011, 15:06
Nope, you got it. Ours are cast, and those are cnc'd. Stronger and lighter.

hahnmgh63
April 28th, 2011, 15:50
I do like the price of these but as Stephen alluded to I like the asthetics of our drilled rotors. It would be nice if we could get them slotted at least. Our design can't be too bad though as it is the same on the R8 and it is the same (design & manufacture) on the new Porsche GT3 Cup car.

Brav
April 28th, 2011, 18:22
As said, buy these and have them slotted. PERFECT! drilled is so 5 minutes ago...

But they are non-directionally vented.. maybe not as great for cooling, but for street its probably fine.

ben916
April 28th, 2011, 19:25
As said, buy these and have them slotted. PERFECT! drilled is so 5 minutes ago...

But they are non-directionally vented.. maybe not as great for cooling, but for street its probably fine.

Hence the Phaeton brake backing plate and cooling ducts... :)

Brav
April 28th, 2011, 19:30
True.. your're a wise one. Black anodized machined hats look a LOT nicer than the cast! I should have had the JHM hats anodized..

JSRS6
April 28th, 2011, 20:29
True.. your're a wise one. Black anodized machined hats look a LOT nicer than the cast! I should have had the JHM hats anodized..

It's not too late Chris....

RS8
February 8th, 2015, 13:09
Hi

Has anyone tested these Phaeton W12 discs 3D0615301N on RS6 C5?

For I found this text now when I searched for them on Google.

I have decided that I am not happy with the way the Phaeton Discs need to be adapted to fit the RS6 Plus (a straight swop as many forums suggest is simply not the case) This means that my freshly grooved Phaeton discs are for sale. Happy to let them go at what they cost me trade, plus the cost price of having them grooved. Would prefer them to go as a set. Part numbers are 3D0615301N fronts & 4E0615601L rears. Message me for price, if no takers i'll eBay the buggers.

Here he writes also:
http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=110410&hilit=discs+grooved

G2
February 11th, 2015, 03:00
Was going to point out that my info says the VW discs are 360x34 and RS6 365x34. Wouldn't want the pads hanging off the rotor edge......

G2
February 11th, 2015, 03:18
Nope, you got it. Ours are cast, and those are cnc'd. Stronger and lighter.

CNC machining looks great but pust more emphasis on engineering and testing to rule out stress risers that lead to failure. Me thinks the OEM units use a cast hat to embed the carrier spokes from the rotor rings.....or something clever like this.

Bigglezworth
February 11th, 2015, 03:39
I run the undrilled Phaeton rotors on the front of my winter beast.

RS8
February 11th, 2015, 07:56
I run the undrilled Phaeton rotors on the front of my winter beast.

Did you have any problem when you mounted them?

hahnmgh63
February 11th, 2015, 14:35
http://www.oemplus.com/floating-brake-rotors-phaeton-w12-p-985.html Give them a call? BTW, I think these are from the Euro Phaeton not the N.A. model.

RS8
February 11th, 2015, 15:16
I have asked them on e-mail, their first response was:
All you will need is the new rotors and hats for your particular vehicle.

?

But then I asked if they really tested them on RS6 C5 and gave them the link on page 1 that i posted about that it was not at all bolt-on, after that I have not received any response?

So now I want an answer from someone who actually have mounted them (3D0615301N) if it's bolt-on or what needs to be changed?

Bigglezworth
February 11th, 2015, 16:30
Did you have any problem when you mounted them?Nope. Bolted right up. I am going to be doing some maintenance on the car these are mounted on here in the next couple of weeks, so will look to remove a rotor, confirm any partnumber ID's, and take measurements (diameter, offset, thickness) and photos in comparisson to the RS6 rotors I run on the one car and the pair of Gallardo rotors I have sitting on the shelf here.

s8prtotype
February 11th, 2015, 16:55
http://www.oemplus.com/floating-brake-rotors-phaeton-w12-p-985.html Give them a call? BTW, I think these are from the Euro Phaeton not the N.A. model.

OEMplus is in hot water with the AZ crowd, just a warning. You might have to fight to get your money back.

EINHORN
February 12th, 2015, 02:43
my only issue withoemplus was it took a long time to get a lower euro dash for my tt

RS8
March 1st, 2015, 09:34
Nope. Bolted right up. I am going to be doing some maintenance on the car these are mounted on here in the next couple of weeks, so will look to remove a rotor, confirm any partnumber ID's, and take measurements (diameter, offset, thickness) and photos in comparisson to the RS6 rotors I run on the one car and the pair of Gallardo rotors I have sitting on the shelf here.

Hi
Have you removed them now ?

RS8
May 31st, 2015, 22:20
Nope. Bolted right up. I am going to be doing some maintenance on the car these are mounted on here in the next couple of weeks, so will look to remove a rotor, confirm any partnumber ID's, and take measurements (diameter, offset, thickness) and photos in comparisson to the RS6 rotors I run on the one car and the pair of Gallardo rotors I have sitting on the shelf here.

Hi

I have now bought new Phaeton brake discs directly from Audi
No 3D0615301N
But they are NOT bolt-on as you says for they have 7mm deeper hub!

So you have to move the caliper 7mm farther in, have you done that or where did you buy your discs?
because they can not have been bought from Audi if they are bolt-on?

RS8
June 2nd, 2015, 21:55
Bigglezworth where did you buy your Phaeton discs?

Here you can see the difference:

Bigglezworth
June 3rd, 2015, 03:21
Sorry, I 'still' haven't parked the winter ride so that I can do some maintenance work. My summer ride lost the SJP below the intake and I have yet to free up a couple of evenings or weekend to perform the repair. I am still planning to swap out all axles, bushings, control arms, mounts, joints, rotors, pads, bearings, etc. here in July so will be able to post information from all three different rotors I have here (OEM RS6, OEM Lambo, OEM VW). I can guarantee that I'm running non-drilled rotors though on my winter ride.... :)

RS8
June 3rd, 2015, 07:55
Sorry, I 'still' haven't parked the winter ride so that I can do some maintenance work. My summer ride lost the SJP below the intake and I have yet to free up a couple of evenings or weekend to perform the repair. I am still planning to swap out all axles, bushings, control arms, mounts, joints, rotors, pads, bearings, etc. here in July so will be able to post information from all three different rotors I have here (OEM RS6, OEM Lambo, OEM VW). I can guarantee that I'm running non-drilled rotors though on my winter ride.... :)

But that's normal RS6 brake discs on your image? (You can see the pins that go from the hub to the disc so that the RS6 has)
Rs6 has undrilled
while RS6 + has drilled discs.

That is not a Phaeton disc !

Did you buy your car with these discs on it, and you thought it was the Phaeton discs only because they are undrilled?

Bigglezworth
June 3rd, 2015, 14:22
But that's normal RS6 brake discs on your image? (You can see the pins that go from the hub to the disc so that the RS6 has)
Rs6 has undrilled
while RS6 + has drilled discs.

That is not a Phaeton disc !

Did you buy your car with these discs on it, and you thought it was the Phaeton discs only because they are undrilled?ALL RS6's in North America have drilled rotors. There are NO Avant's in North America and as such no RS6+'s. I got the rotors at a VW dealer and was advised they were for a Phaeton. I didn't give it much though nor did I really care as long as they fit which they did. I don't recall the purchase price (6 years ago now), but do know they were more affordable than any other option I was faced with at the time. Once I get the ride parked I can delve in to things a bit further.

RS8
June 3rd, 2015, 21:25
no matter what your VW dealer said,
I wonder do you think that all Phaeton models have the same disc?

Because if you read and check the image in the first post of this thread, you will see how the Phaeton disc looks like that we are talking about (also a link to it in this second page) and if you look at your brake discs, you should see that there is a big difference !!

So even though you now have a brake disk from a Phaeton model so it's not your discs we talk or ask about.

I do not know how you can miss that this is two completely different brake discs?

See my picture on a RS6 = same as your undrilled disc and below the Phaeton W12 disc that this thread is about.

I wonder how many have been cheated by you and bought these Phaeton discs.

Bigglezworth
June 4th, 2015, 01:39
Crazy. I know for a fact that I puchased the rotors in the photo from a VW/Porsche dealer. When I called the shop, I told the parts guy I was looking for a replacement to my OEM Audi rotors and understood that there was a non-Audi option available through VW. He couldn't help me at that exact moment, but I did hear back from him a couple of days later and he told me he had a non-drilled solution. This was at a point in time I was fresh in to the RS6 ride (6+ years ago). I provided my credit card and had them brought in for pick-up the next week. I took them home and did a brake swap that evening. Everything was great and I was tickled pink I had saved a few $ over an Audi OEM replacement. At that point in time I wasn't as heavily involved in the RS6/Audi forum(s) and had no way of knowing any different other than the fact I purchased a replacement part from VW and not Audi. With all the different options for parts source here in North America, I wouldn't even bat an eye on what was or wasn't available as long as it was of suitable quality and fit. Enter 6 years later and up until today I have remained of the understanding I have been running a set of non-drilled Phaeton rotors on the one car here. Again, this belief was directly associated with where I purchased them from, the fact they didn't have any Audi markings on them, and that they were non-drilled - which as I mentioned earlier all NA cars came with drilled rotors AFAIK - therefore making replacement rotors all drilled also. At no time has there been, nor was there intentional or otherwise misdirection on my part. I'm getting a sense these are maybe lambo's (??) which further confuses me as I am certain those are always drilled.

Anyway, that noted I will have these off in July and can take photos and measurements.

hahnmgh63
June 4th, 2015, 02:36
Yea, from the pics those are the standard (non-N. America rotors). All RS6+ cars and N.America RS6's got the drilled rotors as standard, they know we like Bling. They should have a part number stamped on the rotor hat though. The Euro VW rotors are as the earlier pics show, a bolt on hat and not of the SHW design with the floating pins.

4everRS
June 4th, 2015, 02:57
I would love to know the part # stamped on your rotors as well Tim.

RS8
June 4th, 2015, 08:25
Bigglezworth have not you looked at your brakes in 6 years?

Since we're talking about a special model of the Phaeton, you should not then take a look through your wheels to see if your discs are similar to those we talking about?
Especially when I made a post about another RS6 owners who said they do not fit,
Didn't you even thought for a second that you might have another Phaeton model on your car before you responded that they fit perfect!?

Look at this picture, there you have an RS6 disc without holes bottom left, does it look like your brake disc if you looked through the rims?

It is most likely an aftermarket brake disc without holes for Rs6 you have.

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/7369787/vag-4b3615302.html

Bigglezworth
July 6th, 2015, 22:05
I would love to know the part # stamped on your rotors as well Tim.A bit of a learning process for me. I confirm the rotors I have are Zimmerman's. They are a floating hub and have NO Audi logo on them. The Lambo set I have here has the Audi logo on them. The set of rotors on the front of the other ride have an Audi logo on them - so both those sets are OEM replacements.

4everRS
July 7th, 2015, 04:30
A bit of a learning process for me. I confirm the rotors I have are Zimmerman's. They are a floating hub and have NO Audi logo on them. The Lambo set I have here has the Audi logo on them. The set of rotors on the front of the other ride have an Audi logo on them - so both those sets are OEM replacements.
But, do they have a part number?

kismetcapitan
January 17th, 2019, 10:55
back from the dead - I'm super keen on getting non-drilled rotors. I just don't get it, and I'm unconcerned with appearance. Most of all, I hate how the holes nearly instantly clog with dust...which makes them not very good at venting, and for the purposes of scraping away dust, slots would do just fine. Plus, I'd like to be able to turn my rotors.

My RS6 is seeing a lot more use now, as it's now the daily driver. Being used as such, sticky tires that wear out after 8,000 miles, or fancy-pants rotors, I can't be bothered. I ditched my Kumhos (which barely lasted 10k miles) for a set of Pirelli all season tires...with a treadwear WARRANTY. I'm almost done installing EBC redstuff pads, and then all I need are plain rotors (although I will pay more for directional internal vanes). Then I'm tossing my H&R springs and putting the stock springs back in.

Ironically, now that I'm willing to do all the wrenching on my car...I'm trying to swap in things that aren't so much max performance but longer lived. lol.

hahnmgh63
January 17th, 2019, 15:10
There was a big discussion on here a few years ago about EBC Redstuff pads. They were depositing material on the rotor when hot and leaving a warped feeling. I have used the Yellow stuff successfully and don't have a problem with the drilled holes getting clogged. I do purposely direct the hose at the holes when washing the car to get dust out of them everytime. I have used the Redstuff on my Audi TT and had issues so I swapped to Yellow Stuff on the TT with no problems.

kismetcapitan
January 18th, 2019, 00:00
<sigh> wish I'd know that. no price difference between redstuff and yellowstuff; I was swayed by the promise of reduced brake dust!

G2
January 23rd, 2019, 00:49
It's unfortunate the OE rotors plug up so easily- needs larger holes it seems. The gas venting surely helps with OE pads. Directionally vaned as well. Probably geared in keeping the pad cool as possible for better cold bite.

The VW rotors are 360mm vs 365mm for Audi. Not sure about the thickness difference; RS6 is 34mm. The caliper is different but both are fixed; rotor offset may be close enough to be interchangeable. If it does fit, the pads will likely become "stepped" due to the pad overhanging the rotor. Overall it's questionable, certainly not an OEM fit...

Plain rotors, if used, ought to be matched with higher temperature rated pads. EBC Yellow is a great all-around, any season in my experience. I have faded them on my car in the tight stuff in "attack mode" with OEM rotors. It's no track pad, however. EBC blue (next step up) is also viable for the street- can't speak to it's cold weather performance or dusting however.

EBC Red pads are specifically intended for low power, lighter cars. Installed a couple sets years ago. Both cars had warped rotors all too soon- even with EBC sport rotors. No one was very happy...my motto is avoid buying pads based on the amount of brake dust. Almost anything is better then OEM, however.

I usually have affordable OEM non-branded RS6 rotors on hand. Complete rotor and pad kits can have the warranty doubled to 2 years. Shipped and installed many sets over the years.

Currently have one front set left with Ceramic pads (and wear sensors). Pads could be at not cost depending on the kit.