PDA

View Full Version : Former RS6 owner selling RS4 on ebay / Possible forum member?

fentonj
April 20th, 2011, 05:13
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new member, been reading the site for a couple years. I keep going back and forth on a RS6 vs an RS4. I think I made up my mind with the 4 becuase of the manual tranny. I do love the body style of the rs6 though and that thing sounds incredible.

Anyways I am looking for some insight on a potential forum member. This RS4: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-RS4-2007-RS4-IMOLA-HRE-m40-must-see-super-clean-car-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27ba3703bdQQitemZ17062 7892157QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

is owned by a person who used to have an RS6 which he says was in eurotuner magazine. Not too crazy about the Imola, I'm more of a Mugello guy but this has the potential to be a good deal. Does anyone know if this guy is a member of rs6.com, or are you reading this? I would like to get some more info on the vehicle and anything else you guys may know. I know thats not too much info but this is a small community so I thought someone might know him. Appreciate it guys, Thanks.

MaxRS6
April 20th, 2011, 13:50
I don't know anything about it or the owner. It looks great and I can understand why you are considering it. Good luck with the information hunt!

716YETI
April 20th, 2011, 14:09
I was scared away from RS4s because if the intake problem. I was about to pull the trigger and changed up and bought the RS6. I would never buy an RS4 until Audi admits they have a big North American problem and come up with a REAL solution. I guess they are fine if you don't mind being way down on power but...
My 2 cents.

JSRS6
April 20th, 2011, 14:54
Supposedly, and I got the same word from Mike Hoppen, they fixed the carbon buildup in the 2008 model.

716YETI
April 20th, 2011, 15:01
How? Did they copy Toyota with an additional injector?

marklar182
April 20th, 2011, 15:47
I was scared away from RS4s because if the intake problem. I was about to pull the trigger and changed up and bought the RS6. I would never buy an RS4 until Audi admits they have a big North American problem and come up with a REAL solution. I guess they are fine if you don't mind being way down on power but...
My 2 cents.

I am with you 100%

I wont buy an gas FSI VAG engine until they get all the issues sorted correctly.

fentonj
April 20th, 2011, 16:26
I hear what you guys are saying on the carbon issues. I thought the 2008 was identical to the 2007 besides the addition of the Ti package, I'm pretty sure I have read about guys with 2008s getting carbon cleanings done also. I would be interested to know of anybodys experiences with an RS4 over 100,000 miles. Still a pretty new vehicle so that likely won't happen for a while.

However, sporadic carbon cleanings are cheaper than turbo/automatic transmission issues. Regardless, I hope audi addresses this, but based on all the DRC reading I have done and everything AoA did to dodge that issue with you RS6 owners I'm not crossing my fingers for anything to happen soon.

716YETI
April 20th, 2011, 18:07
The problem can happen after a couple tanks of gas. I checked the carfax on an RS4 and it was an Audi buy back with less than 500 miles on it. The carfax showed no changed of ownership for 16,000 miles. It showed Audi owned it the entire time AND replaced the "intake" at least twice. Seriously I wouldn't touch an RS4. I LOVED them but I will not buy one.
If you don't mind being down 30 hp or whatever go for it.

Edit: Don't be confused by the word "carbon", this is not the typical carbon build up. It is whole different animal. More like pure, slug, oil build up.

DHall1
April 21st, 2011, 17:33
Two words

Aces

Quantum

= solved.

Must admit, I wanted the RS4 up to the knowledge of carbon/gunk issue but now I feel there are other ways to minimize the condition. That said, I may be on the look once again.

The problem can happen after a couple tanks of gas. I checked the carfax on an RS4 and it was an Audi buy back with less than 500 miles on it. The carfax showed no changed of ownership for 16,000 miles. It showed Audi owned it the entire time AND replaced the "intake" at least twice. Seriously I wouldn't touch an RS4. I LOVED them but I will not buy one.
If you don't mind being down 30 hp or whatever go for it.

Edit: Don't be confused by the word "carbon", this is not the typical carbon build up. It is whole different animal. More like pure, slug, oil build up.

fentonj
April 21st, 2011, 18:38
Heard anything good about those catch cans that are supposed to reduce the carbon build up?

Two words

Aces

Quantum

= solved.

Must admit, I wanted the RS4 up to the knowledge of carbon/gunk issue but now I feel there are other ways to minimize the condition. That said, I may be on the look once again.

DHall1
April 21st, 2011, 19:13
Yes

But, I would try the Aces fuel treatment and the Quantum Blue engine oils first. I would look at the solvent content in the oil that you plan to use.

Heard anything good about those catch cans that are supposed to reduce the carbon build up?

fentonj
April 21st, 2011, 20:12
Their oil makes the price of Mobile 1 look like rotella, but if it is going to reduce/eliminate $1000 manifold and valve cleanings its a deal. Do you know how much their fuel treatment costs? I couldnt find a price on their website, I'm assuming this is what you are refering to?
http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

JSRS6
April 21st, 2011, 21:02
about 65 a quart or 225-250 a gallon.

fentonj
April 21st, 2011, 21:12
So if quart runs $65 and it treats 192 gallons your spending roughly $.34 more per gallon more for fuel. Probably would still want to run premium fuel too I guess?

JSRS6
April 21st, 2011, 21:17
Definitely.

JSRS6
April 21st, 2011, 21:19
And thats at 1oz:6gallons. i and alot of others run around 1:8

fentonj
April 22nd, 2011, 00:30
Do you notice a performance difference running that in the RS6? Are there other reasons why you run it, I haven't read about any build up/gunk issues with the rs6?

And thats at 1oz:6gallons. i and alot of others run around 1:8

JSRS6
April 22nd, 2011, 00:36
Performance, yes. And upper cylinder lubricity is an ever increasing concern with gas these days. Ethanol dries it out, Aces counteracts that.

DHall1
April 22nd, 2011, 00:49
If you follow the RS6 theads there are literally dozens of members that come back and say "I dont believe it but the damn stuff works"

More power
Better gas mileage
Smooth accel
Clean out piston rings and all but eliminate blowby and oil in the intercooler hoses
Not to mention what it should be doing for the injectors, cylinder walls, piston skirts, rings, fuel pump.

"Car runs like it does when I put 100 octane race gas in it"

Aces...it is what it is and it works. I run it in all the cars and the diesel stuff for the motorhome.

Do you notice a performance difference running that in the RS6? Are there other reasons why you run it, I haven't read about any build up/gunk issues with the rs6?

JSRS6
April 22nd, 2011, 01:11
What Dave said.

fentonj
April 22nd, 2011, 21:18
I am going to have to look into this stuff. Sounds like it will be great in a boat and motorcycle too

mmaturo
April 22nd, 2011, 21:29
Back on the subject of this RS4 you may want to ask the same thing over on Quattroworld.com and the RS4 forum. I think i recognize the car.

fentonj
April 22nd, 2011, 23:19
Thanks for the head up, I'll give that try.

Back on the subject of this RS4 you may want to ask the same thing over on Quattroworld.com and the RS4 forum. I think i recognize the car.