PDA

View Full Version : Considering RS6 Front Brake Setup for my 2002 S6, is it a simple bolt on?

wpod
April 13th, 2011, 16:18
I have been looking at several BBK setups for my 2002 S6 since I bought it about 6 months ago. I had considered the kit from JHMotoring, an Alcon setup, and a few others, but I just realized that I can purchase new RS6 Calipers, Rotors, brake lines, and pads for under $2500.00. The Stasis/Alcon Kit is over $3500.00. So, the question is, will the RS6 "kit" bolt right up to my S6 without any modifications? I'm already running 18"inch wheels that should have adequate clearance, if not, I'll buy 19s. Opinions?? Thank You, Paul

yokust
April 13th, 2011, 17:52
The front brakes from my totaled RS6 are on my buddy's 02 S6, went on with now problems.

hahnmgh63
April 13th, 2011, 17:53
Does your 2002 have Aluminum or Steel uprights? If it has Aluminum uprights the caliper should be a direct bolt on but not sure about the rotor/Hub/Wheel bearing as I think the RS6 has larger front & rear wheel bearings which may mean the front hub mounting flange is larger but either way the rotor should still bolt on as the pattern is the same (5x112).

yokust
April 13th, 2011, 17:55
All S6's use the same front setup for suspension.

The RS6 uses a different rear knuckle then all other S6/A6 cars. Has different spacing for caliper bracket(ask me how I know)

wpod
April 13th, 2011, 20:42
I'd certainly entertain suggestions for sources for the OEM RS6 parts. Currently, I'm looking at ECS tuning, they have the RS6 front rotors for $681.99 a pair, front left and right 8 pot calipers for 738.99 each (or $1477.98 a pair, EBC Red Stuff brake pads for $184.21 - set, and Stainless Steel brake lines for $79.95 for a grand total of $2424.13 . Can't remember if they do the free shipping thing on orders over a hundred bucks. I would certainly consider buying the calipers used if there were a good source also. Thanks again, regards, Paul

JSRS6
April 13th, 2011, 20:52
Plug those part numbers into geniunevw and save some money.

www.genuinevwaudiparts.com

yokust
April 13th, 2011, 21:55
ebay.de or ebay.co.uk

you can buy them on there for around 1200-1500 complete plus shipping

ben916
April 13th, 2011, 22:19
Plug those part numbers into geniunevw and save some money.

www.genuinevwaudiparts.com (http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com)

http://www.audiusaparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215820

NO SALES TAX...

Also, if you purchase from Genuine, which is a great place to get your parts, your front rotors @ $280 each

kevin
April 14th, 2011, 00:28
I recall there was a set of front calipers for sale here in this forum a couple weeks ago

ben916
April 14th, 2011, 03:20
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22458-Audi-RS-Brake-Brembo-8-piston-caliper-Set-with-Brake-pads

here

wpod
April 14th, 2011, 12:41
I PM'd the seller and will call him once the sun rises. Regarding the genuinevwaudi store, are they easy to communicate with as I see they have no phone number.? Reason that I ask is that I plugged in the front caliper numbers (4B3615107 and 4B3615108) and then the rotor numbers (4B3615301E and 4B3615302A) , their "shopping cart" charges nearly $50.00 shipping for EACH item, totaling almost $200.00 for shipping.Also, what is a decent <$200.00 brake pad to start off with for this daily driver? Thanks Very much, regards, Paul ps- Stainless steel braided brake lines- Goodridge or something else?thanx

JSRS6
April 14th, 2011, 13:08
When you use genuine, on the home page, click search multiple parts. I just entered those in and the total shipping was 153. EBC are good for dd brakes, and the SS lines are a good price from ECS, although i wouldnt get much else from them.

wpod
April 14th, 2011, 14:13
What a relief! My OCD is satisfied for a couple more days (or at least until I get the brake parts installed). I have been agonizing over this upgrade for months, completely baffled by the extreme difference in prices that I have been getting from several different sources (Stasis> $3500.00- JHMotoring- $1850.00 for example) Back to the OCD; I remember reading somehere that the RS6 has a slightly larger diameter (27mm?) master cylinder than the S6 ( 25mm?), do we think that the master cylinder in my S6 should be upgraded as well to handle the larger calipers?And while we are at it, what is the RS6 running on the rear axles (caliper and rotor size) ? Thank again, regards, Paul, Providence, RI ps- I did try calling the guy from Canada with the calipers for sale, his phone number would not connect me, probably just as well. Thanx

ben916
April 14th, 2011, 18:29
Rear Rotor Holed Left Left (4B3615601C) 335x22 5/112
Rear Rotor Holed Right Right (4B3615601A) 335x22 5/112

Rear Shield Left (4B3615611B)
Rear Shield Right (4B3615612B)

Rear Brake Caliper Left (4B3615423)
Rear Brake Caliper Right (4B3615424)

DO NOT PURCHASE OEM PADS!!!!!

I can email you the ETKA skematic of the RS6 rear drawings with part numbers.... photobucket isn't working, at least for me...

yokust
April 14th, 2011, 18:34
I remember reading somehere that the RS6 has a slightly larger diameter (27mm?) master cylinder than the S6 ( 25mm?), do we think that the master cylinder in my S6 should be upgraded as well to handle the larger calipers?

The RS6 does use a larger master, but you will not have a problem running your stock one. Same as any other bbk kit, uses stock master.

And while we are at it, what is the RS6 running on the rear axles (caliper and rotor size) ?

If you buy RS6 rear brakes, make sure you get the knuckles also. the caliper bracket spacing is different between RS6 and A6/S6 cars. You will also need the ebrake cables, because they are longer.

wpod
April 15th, 2011, 01:09
you can email me directly at prlwpod(at)aol.com, Thank you very much.... I was under the S6 this afternoon pre-treating the caliper bolts and brake lines with penetrating oil in preparation for the swap some time next week (hopefully). I noticed the "plain" metal brake line that comes out of the caliper and then fastens to the brake line bracket, where it then couples with the rubber flex brake line. Do I need to order this same type of short steel brake line for the new caliper, or is there a different arrangement when using the larger Brembo calipers? I know that I have to order Stainless steel braided brake lines( probably from ECS ) for the new calipers, but is there any other connection that I need to order as well? I'll probably order the EBC Red Stuff brake pads from them also, as I don't think that Goodridge makes front stainless braided brake lines for the RS6 at the moment .Thanks again, regards, Paul

V8weight
April 15th, 2011, 01:24
you can email me directly at prlwpod(at)aol.com, Thank you very much.... I was under the S6 this afternoon pre-treating the caliper bolts and brake lines with penetrating oil in preparation for the swap some time next week (hopefully). I noticed the "plain" metal brake line that comes out of the caliper and then fastens to the brake line bracket, where it then couples with the rubber flex brake line. Do I need to order this same type of short steel brake line for the new caliper, or is there a different arrangement when using the larger Brembo calipers? I know that I have to order Stainless steel braided brake lines( probably from ECS ) for the new calipers, but is there any other connection that I need to order as well? I'll probably order the EBC Red Stuff brake pads from them also, as I don't think that Goodridge makes front stainless braided brake lines for the RS6 at the moment .Thanks again, regards, Paul
That's part of the ECS braided lines and the factory flex hose as well.

streetsoffire
April 15th, 2011, 08:42
What did the brakes end up costing you?

wpod
April 15th, 2011, 17:18
The two rotors and two calipers totaled $1663.20 plus $153.85 for shipping from California to RI for a total of $1817.05. regards, Paul

ben916
April 15th, 2011, 21:16

Paul, sorry I am officially on vacation and way from the work computer where the VIN list and the ETKA is, so no screenshots of ETKA for 10 days.

wpod
April 17th, 2011, 15:51
No problem, ben916, enjoy your time off ! I think that I'm pretty safe on the front brake install, and I won't be getting to the rears for at least another month or so. The only thing that puzzles me slightly is the new front brake lines. Will the new Stainless Steel Braided brake line bolt up directly to the caliper, or, is there something in between (like a short steel line)?? Thanks again, regards, Paul, Providence, RI

V8weight
April 18th, 2011, 02:28
No problem, ben916, enjoy your time off ! I think that I'm pretty safe on the front brake install, and I won't be getting to the rears for at least another month or so. The only thing that puzzles me slightly is the new front brake lines. Will the new Stainless Steel Braided brake line bolt up directly to the caliper, or, is there something in between (like a short steel line)?? Thanks again, regards, Paul, Providence, RI
Buy the stainless lines for the RS6 fitment and you will be fine, like I said earlier...

wpod
April 20th, 2011, 00:45
That's part of the ECS braided lines and the factory flex hose as well. And reading this the first time , I wasn't understanding the " factory flex hose" part of the equation, but I think that I understand now. I am awaiting delivery of the ECS brake lines and EBC red brake pads from ECS , along with the rotors and calipers from genuinevwaudiparts.com . All of this waiting has got me thinking.......restless..........I'm thinking of doing a few braking tests (30-0mph, 60-0mph, and 90-0mph , logging the times and distances, and then comparing them to the new brake setup once I've got it installed . Anyone actually done anything like this and have any recommendations that they would like to share? Is there a "program" associated with my VagCom that would make this process any easier? Thoughts of a stopwatch and tape measure make my head hurt.......thanx.....,Paul

hahnmgh63
April 20th, 2011, 01:00
I see ECS is now matching the price on EBC's as www.autopartswarehouse.com (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com) and www.thepartsbin.com (http://www.thepartsbin.com) but they both do offer free shipping for purchases over $50 and if you sign up on their website at least twice a month you will get a coupon code for an additional 10% off purchases and occaisonally 15% or 20% off.