PDA

View Full Version : K&N filter or not?

YANORS6
April 7th, 2011, 21:46
Hello I'm eagerly waiting for my Beast to arrive. I'm already planning to do the ecu flash n tcu upgrade. But should I drop K&N filters in or not? What's your opinions?

amanda
April 7th, 2011, 22:09
Keep your standard filters ;)

JSRS6
April 7th, 2011, 22:35
^^^Yeah, save your dough. I did the same thing, got the K&N filters and APR DV's, before I had gotten the car...don't waste your money.

4everRS
April 7th, 2011, 22:46
keep the stockers. The k&n's have been known to randomly cause maf issues. Doesn't happen to all cars with k&n's though as some on the board have had luck with them.

They work well on my 64 chevy pickup with a 327. Don't really have to worry about fouling a maf sensor though.

stubro
April 7th, 2011, 23:33
Now you tell me, I am getting a custom exhuast and DVs done so I told them to throw them in :)

skribe
April 8th, 2011, 00:13
Covered many times on here, searching is a pain. Most recently here:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21588-air-filters-opinions?highlight=ITG+FILTERS

I personally think foam filters do a help a little, but yes if you over-oil them you hose your MAF sensors. But opinions are like eyebrows. Everybody's got 'em!

Elevens
April 8th, 2011, 00:55
Stay Stock. What little gains you get, If any is not worth the risk of ruining your MAF'S

skribe
April 8th, 2011, 01:13
Keep your standard filters ;)

Hello and welcome. Does your beast put down all that power with stock airboxes and filters?

amanda
April 8th, 2011, 09:01
Hello and welcome. Does your beast put down all that power with stock airboxes and filters?

Yes it does ;)

Stephencl
April 8th, 2011, 13:23
Great little story,

A very long time ago when I was in the BMW tuning world, we did a little dyno experiment with K&N filters. Dry Stock to Dry K&N filter, no performance difference at all. Dry Stock to oiled K&N's after 1000 miles of road use..... -8hp on a otherwise stock BMW 850csi. Bottom line, keep the standard filters.... oil and dirt particles impede airflow, not help it.

* all dyno done on same day, same car, owner had a new set of K&N's to complete open air intake, filters used for the oiled dyno test were in his car when he arrived...

1 bad 03 rs6
April 9th, 2011, 17:29
just found out the filters that came with the car I bought are K&N's that look to be dry.

ttboost
April 9th, 2011, 23:00
There is a reason that the factory engineers use the filters they use. They FILTER!!!! A K&N without oil is basically a net. K&N's are for people who like to get dirt in their engines...sorry if you are one...

1 bad 03 rs6
April 10th, 2011, 17:32
There is a reason that the factory engineers use the filters they use. They FILTER!!!! A K&N without oil is basically a net. K&N's are for people who like to get dirt in their engines...sorry if you are one...

I meant they looked to be factory oiled and not over oiled. I hear ya on the K&N filter thing. I did some research in the past and found that K&N's don't filter that well until they are dirty. Then they flow the same as paper filters, so what's the gain, other than possible MAF issues.

This site has a lot of info about oil, filters, fluids, etc: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Oh well, they are on this car I bought and will stay there for now. Must have been something XX Tuning did.