PDA

View Full Version : Any body shop experts in here? (L.A.)

gmbh6
April 5th, 2011, 17:51
When it rains it pours. This high school girl shout out of a paking space and hit my front side bumper. Damage is minimal but enough to warrant a new bumper and paint to match.

I have estimates from

Troy and Bob's in Norwalk (Only one's who actually noticed the rim scratched)

Performance Paint and Body in Torrance

Estorga's Collision in Torrance (Most expensive)

The Insurance company recommends (I know they're not supposed to but...)

Craftsman Auto Body
or
Downey Pacific Collision Center

Well any thoughts are welcomed. Insurance says I can pick my body shop but it would be faster if I pick one of their's.

V8weight
April 5th, 2011, 19:03
You're right in that you have a choice in which body shop you ultimately choose. It's illegal and considered steering if they require you to use a shop in their repair network. However, I would lean towards using one of their recommended shops, providing that they have a solid reputation. The reason being, if you have issues with the outcome of the repair, you will have the insurance company behind you, whereas, if you choose a shop that is not in their network, and the shop botches the repair, it's out of the insurance company's hands. In order to get a perfect match on the new front bumper cover, it may require blending the fenders, especially if your car is Avus. My two cents.

ben916
April 5th, 2011, 19:10
The only shop that I am aware of in San Diego, yes I read Los Angeles above, is Amato's (reputted as the only Audi approved repair shop in SD)

Benman
April 5th, 2011, 20:40
FYI gentlemen, in CA, steering IS legal. And no, shops do not like it.

JSRS6
April 5th, 2011, 22:01
This is true...Steering isn't illegal, REQUIRING you to use their shops is. They can suggest until you say no. If you drive a people mover and don't care, I guess it's ok. But if you care...well you still have a right regardless. I got the same spiel through usaa, they actually started talking me through everything and assumed I would use the shop they recommended and had to stop them and say no, I already had the car at the shop I wanted.

Benman
April 5th, 2011, 22:06
Keep in mind, one last thing. It is also legal for them to "encourage" their customers to use their shops since non "approved" shops may cost more and they (the insurance company) have the right to only pay the "approved" rate. It does not happen very often since most (key word most) insurance companies still care somewhat about CSI, but does happen from time to time.

Again, shops hate this BS and we've had to deal with it too. Just an FYI. Lastly, PLEASE check your policies everyone. Unless you SPECIFICALLY get OEM riders, you will NOT get new OEM parts put on your cars. Used and aftermarket is what will be put on. I am only talking about CA laws since that is the only State we do business in. :cheers:

Ben

Stephencl
April 5th, 2011, 22:33
So true. My insurance company would not spring for a factory windsheild....I said no way.....I asked them the amount they would pay for one..after getting the dollars for the non-oem I talked teh body shop into letting me drop ship an OEM glass. Cost out of my pocket...$23.59. You have to have it done right.

Also, I don't think anyone does an aluminum hood for our cars, so it has to be OEM for hood and fenders.

Stephen

JSRS6
April 5th, 2011, 22:36
Nope. Or ac condenser. Audit company tried to order one for 350. Wrong fittings! Ordered the right one...cracked from the factory! Third times a charm as they say :hihi:

gmbh6
April 5th, 2011, 23:26
Dam lots of good info thanks!!!

Benman
April 6th, 2011, 03:30
Also structural parts are almost NEVER made by aftermarket ;)

And good call on the hood, correct! :cheers:

Ben :addict:

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 7th, 2011, 04:20
I and my extended family have had all our work done at
Anaheim Hill Auto Body
3500 E. La Palma Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806
www.anaheimhillsautobody.com (http://www.anaheimhillsautobody.com/)
They are a MB authorized repair shop
They do a phenomenal job and work miracles.

Benman
April 7th, 2011, 04:32
Audi5000, an excellent recommendation. The owners of that shop are great people and happen to be friends of my father.

Only downside is they are pretty far from LA. Hell, 15 more minutes and he'd be at our shop. ;)

If I had to choose a LA shop mentioned, I have not heard any bad stuff about craftsman.

You could always PM me the pics. You have my cell. :cheers:

Ben

AUDI5000CSTQ
April 7th, 2011, 04:52
Benman, whats really great is Robert used to date my sister so we get the family price.
They still do fantastic work or I would not trust my Cougar to them for a total restoration.
Hope to see you on Sunday morning with Ben.
The Cougar and my Bronco will be at fabulous fords forever at knotts on May 10th

Benman
April 7th, 2011, 05:22
That'd be great! I'm hoping to make it too. I have Ben (916) booing me since I told him I may be a no show :)

:cheers: