PDA

View Full Version : Trunk latch failure

1 bad 03 rs6
April 5th, 2011, 06:16
where to get a new one?

Rupert
April 5th, 2011, 14:15
How has it failed?

Be careful if the solenoid is sticky... the Audi garage left my car overnight with a sticky latch (it was always "ON") and the heat generated by the solenoid melted the plastic plate surround (where the fog lights are).

ben916
April 5th, 2011, 19:16
where to get a new one?

Can you describe this "failure" more than just what you wrote?
meaning:
1. won't open?
2. won't shut?
3. remote will not operate the lock?
4. key will not open lock?
5. emergency handle in trunk will not open.
6. etc.

Not to get off on the wrong foot but it is similar to posting "Car won't start" - just saying...

LIRS6
April 6th, 2011, 01:01
where to get a new one?

Mine failed (while under warranty). Quick repair by the dealer to replace the unit in trunk lid... assuming your issue was like mine; it wouldn't stay closed.

JSRS6
April 6th, 2011, 02:19
Hmmm, my issue was it would open with inner and outer handle, but not with remote or in car button.

1 bad 03 rs6
April 6th, 2011, 03:37
meaning:
1. won't open?
2. won't shut?
6. etc.

Not to get off on the wrong foot but it is similar to posting "Car won't start" - just saying...

LOL, No problem, it was somewhat ambiguous.

It won't close or latch. Sounds like the lock is trying to work but the latch just doesn't budge.

Ordered a new latch from the stealer. $85 with tax, so not too bad. Will install on Friday and let you know how it goes.

1 bad 03 rs6
April 6th, 2011, 03:39
Hmmm, my issue was it would open with inner and outer handle, but not with remote or in car button.

come to think of the button on the jamb doesn't seem to be making any click or anything either.

JSRS6
April 6th, 2011, 03:44
LOL, No problem, it was somewhat ambiguous.

It won't close or latch. Sounds like the lock is trying to work but the latch just doesn't budge.

Ordered a new latch from the stealer. $85 with tax, so not too bad. Will install on Friday and let you know how it goes.

Have fun with the fuzzy screws :hihi:

vitalian
April 6th, 2011, 17:40
meaning:
1. won't open?
2. won't shut?
6. etc.

Ben, not to be a thread-jacker, but your post reminded me of a very funny email I got several years ago about written memos between pilots and maintainence crews regarding complaints and repairs.

Pilot memo to maintainance: Something loose in cockpit.
Maintainance crew response: Something tightened in cockpit.

ben916
April 6th, 2011, 19:08
Ben, not to be a thread-jacker, but your post reminded me of a very funny email I got several years ago about written memos between pilots and maintainence crews regarding complaints and repairs.

Pilot memo to maintainance: Something loose in cockpit.
Maintainance crew response: Something tightened in cockpit.

Squeeze on left side.
Cat installed on right side.

SteveKen
April 6th, 2011, 19:28
Sounds like the solenoid is stuck in the open position. As if the button were always being pushed. (even though I'm sure it's only a momentary switch)

I would verify the trunk switch on the B-Pillar is good, too.

LIRS6
April 7th, 2011, 04:04
come to think of the button on the jamb doesn't seem to be making any click or anything either.

IIRC, it doesn't

1 bad 03 rs6
April 7th, 2011, 15:15
Have fun with the fuzzy screws :hihi:

Glad I read that on here. I would have probably torn the thing out. I knew about the clips, and the screws on the emergency marker holder thing, and the emergency release handle, but not those fuzzy screws.

JSRS6
April 7th, 2011, 15:24
Glad I read that on here. I would have probably torn the thing out. I knew about the clips, and the screws on the emergency marker holder thing, and the emergency release handle, but not those fuzzy screws.

Glad to help. I would have felt bad if you had posted a horror story about that!

1 bad 03 rs6
April 9th, 2011, 17:46
Sounds like the solenoid is stuck in the open position. As if the button were always being pushed. (even though I'm sure it's only a momentary switch)

I would verify the trunk switch on the B-Pillar is good, too.

Replaced the switch, only to find out it seems to be the solenoid from the b pillar that actuates the trunk to open, stuck in the open position. Just like you mentioned. At least I have 2 functioning latches now..:doh:

So as of now, the solenoid and the rod are out, and the emergency handle doesn't work. So don't anyone lock themselves in my trunk.

Anyone know off hand how much this solenoid cost?

lswing
April 15th, 2012, 00:36
Ughh, this just happened. FOB and trunk key move internals, latch won't move though. There is just one u shaped latch piece that I can move with my finger, but there appears to be another latch stuck on the right side. Also with the trunk open and pressing on the pillar button didn't hear a thing. Help? Tough, had the car back for a week after a month and $5k:)