PDA

View Full Version : M3 sedan "CSL"

QuattroFun
April 3rd, 2011, 08:45
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/BMW-M3-Saloon-Concept-2011-first-official-pictures/

Dunno - I like the idea of more factory power from the M3 V8 and the lightweight concept. The M3 E46 CSL is still a stunning car today and really embarrases the new M3 GTS, which is way too expensive and looks tacky and yet only performs in line with a 7 year older model. Both the GTS and this "CSL" sedan concept suffer from the same thing: they look like cheap tuning cars with glued front splitters and rear spoilers rather than having bespoke panels like the old CSL. Have to wait for more details before making up my mind - but currently, I am not considering trading in my M3 Coupe for this one. I have just installed a factory performance exhaust, which sounds great and saves 9kg in weight.

The next gen of RS5 and M3 promise to be thrilling with increased focus on lightweight and agility - but I will really, really miss the V8s, which sadly will go. From this point of view, the swansong M3 and RS5 Plus could be really even more exciting if they are really built as alert, agile lightweight versions...

Joker
April 3rd, 2011, 19:12
Who ever thought that BMW aren't a reactive company should have watched recent developments with the M3. First was the Competition Package that was developed in reaction to the imminent launch of the RS5 and now we hear they are soon to launch a lightweight version or possibly optional package for all M3s, again in reaction to Audi's intention to offer something similar with their performance RS models.