PDA

View Full Version : Buying an RS6

ChaseH
April 2nd, 2011, 05:51
I was looking into used european performance cars and I came across the RS6. Now, to this date, I've owned one car, a '91 hammy down Mazda Miata, which if you do not know, is a 90ish horsepower. Also, I'm only 18 years old. Is this car too much for me to handle?(and I do not drive like a pissed off teenager.)

Well, I've saved up some money now and am looking to buy a car. I looked into BMW's Mercedes, and now Audi's. What I was wondering, is if this car is too much work to own. Repairs I'm sure are not going to be cheap, plus insurance on a car like this driven by an 18 year old is going to be quite expensive as well. What about gas, driving mainly city and only a little freeway, how much would you expect, on average to spend on gas each week.

Also, would anyone be willing to list some things I should look for when buying the car? Certain problems that this model of car is prone to have?
(should probably mention that I'm looking into buying an '03.)

Well pretty much any advice you could give me, please don't be rude, would be great.:)

JSRS6
April 2nd, 2011, 06:12
If i were you i would start off with a 2000-2002 S4. My vehicle progression was as follows: 1980 Chevy Blazer, 1996 Honda Civic, 2000 Audi S4, 2002 Audi S4, 2003 Audi RS 6.

papadoc
April 2nd, 2011, 06:16
Hey Chase
My son is 16 and has been driving for a few months, and we've discussed some of the same issues that you raise. To cut to the chase, we are getting a 2009 Stasis tuned A4 for his car, with the anticipation that his father's respect for good driving habits and Audi will be passed on. To your question, the RS6 is a beast. But the potential for repair costs loom as large. My own RS6 is past 105K miles with no real issues, but many have had problems with the transmission and suspension. That said, you can get an RS6 for under $25k now, and even factoring in upcoming service costs, I don't think there are any other performance cars that can match the combination of power and cost. Please search the forum, there is a lot of good info available. Be certain of the history of the car you consider buying. But realize that this is a special car, and for the price there is NOTHING on the market that compares!

4everRS
April 2nd, 2011, 13:37
I am getting parts together now for a new TC, and many new gaskets and seal that should be done while the engine is out. Just the parts are adding up to about 2k. Well, I guess that also includes a meth injection kit.

Moral of the story, accually buying the car is just part of the costs you'll see.

Majestic
April 2nd, 2011, 13:55
If you got money to burn then by all means I say go for it.
Do a search for repairs and maintenance cost in the forums, their is a thread that talks about how much people pay for maintenance and repairs.

If I was 18 and I could afford to get this car, I would be all over it. All your friends with rice burners and american muscle cars are no match for this beast.
But if you are like every other teen out there, save your money. Get a nice Honda civic Si or a Mazda Speed 3, or a nice sleeper car is the 2005 Volvo S60 R.

2TURBOV8
April 2nd, 2011, 16:21
All great advice guys! If I was 18, there is no way in hell I would buy this car unless I had about 5K in the bank just sitting there for car repair. I think all imports are pretty reliable cars, but when they break you are looking at a lot of money. Just regular scheduled maint. on this car is NOT CHEAP!! Just want you to know what you are getting into before you make a decision. On the other hand, this is an amazing car!! Full size luxury car with the handling and power to toy with Mustangs, Camaros, GTO's etc...... There are only 2 kinds of RS6's. One's that have had transmission issues, and ones that will. If you have the money to support this car, by all means go for it!! Mine has cost me a pretty good chunk of money in the one year I have owned it, but I LOVE this car. I plan of keeping it for a long time. Other options ? I would suggest Subaru's! I also have a 2004 STi that is making about double the power it did when it was stock. Subaru's are VERY realible cars, and the STi is one hell of a car also!!

vitalian
April 2nd, 2011, 17:19
If you are seriously considering the RS6, I have just one word of advice: WARRANTY. I have only owned mine for a couple of months and my warranty has already spared me from about 4K in repair costs.. That said, it is an awesome car and should not be too much for you if you give it the respect it deserves. If you drive it recklessly, then yes, it will be too much car.

As for other cars you might consider, I suggest the Subaru WRX or the MINI Cooper S. Both are ridiculously fun to drive, very reliable, easy to mod for more power, and cheap to maintain.

bmlee007
April 2nd, 2011, 20:01
Hmm, my first car was a 1984 Renault Alliance. Motor Trend Import Car of the Year! Then I moved into a 1989 Dodge Daytona. How things have changed. 22 years later, accident free, and with multi-car discount, my beast still commands $200/month from the insurance company. Something to think about. On a trip, I averaged over 20 mpg, but just blasting around town, up and down hills, it's gonna be less, much less. But, every time you press that pedal, you'll remember why you bought the car.

I owned mine for all of 30 minutes when three teenagers in a brand new Camaro SS pulled up beside me and said "nice car."

On the lower priced end of German sport/luxury is my daily driver, a C5 A6 with the 2.7T and 6-speed manual. Look for '02-'04. One with decent miles will come in under $13K, has lots of potential for modification, and so far is the most comfortable car I've ever owned. I stole mine with 53,000 miles for under $12K and have since put on almost 20,000 trouble-free miles.

marklar182
April 2nd, 2011, 21:02
I would strongly advise against an RS6 at your age. Between insurance, gas and maintenance (even DIY), it will bleed you dry.

To fill up an empty tank I pay ~$75 (premium only remember!), and average ~15MPG

Look at these;

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/20468-Cost-of-Ownership!?highlight=diy

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21583-Some-service-costs?highlight=diy

ben916
April 2nd, 2011, 22:23
This is an excellent thread but has somewhat been repeated a little but no problemo...

It really depends on what your future goals of said car would be:
1. Used car simple car for fun but is relatively inexpensive to maintain and build up= Civic or Accord, etc.
2. Used car with more complex systems that can be built up but the costs will not break the bank (at 18yo bank, unless pops is helping fund this) = BMW 3 series, or A4. I think you are asking for trouble with ANY AMG at this point (meaning gas, tires, insurance, control or lack of).

An aftermarket warranty can help with breakdown costs but will not cover everything.

Insurance on a premium or luxury or sports car will more than likely be more expensive than the monthly loan amount of the selected vehicle.
Once you are 25yo, established a driving record, have a house, married, have children, multi car, etc = the cost of insurance does go down.

It is very unwise and dangerous to have a young inexperienced driver with a vehicle with so much power (M5, RS6, RS4, M3, Viper, GT500, AMG, veyron, Hemi, Lambo, Ferarri, etc ) but with that stated, you press the go pedal long enough - any car will go fast.

Whatever you choose, be smart about it and think of the maintenance costs (current Audi dealership hourly rate is $135/hr, current indy shop rate $90/hr).
Have fun!

SAF
April 3rd, 2011, 00:25
Go get an insurance qoute. That will make your mind up for you on the spot.

TozoM8
April 3rd, 2011, 00:36
Go get an insurance qoute. That will make your mind up for you on the spot.

^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^ The insurance is a major decision maker here.

SAFE4NOW
April 3rd, 2011, 05:06
I was looking into used european performance cars and I came across the RS6. Now, to this date, I've owned one car, a '91 hammy down Mazda Miata, which if you do not know, is a 90ish horsepower. Also, I'm only 18 years old. Is this car too much for me to handle?(and I do not drive like a pissed off teenager.)

Well, I've saved up some money now and am looking to buy a car. I looked into BMW's Mercedes, and now Audi's. What I was wondering, is if this car is too much work to own. Repairs I'm sure are not going to be cheap, plus insurance on a car like this driven by an 18 year old is going to be quite expensive as well. What about gas, driving mainly city and only a little freeway, how much would you expect, on average to spend on gas each week.

Also, would anyone be willing to list some things I should look for when buying the car? Certain problems that this model of car is prone to have?
(should probably mention that I'm looking into buying an '03.)

Well pretty much any advice you could give me, please don't be rude, would be great.:)

Like others have said, make sure you know what you're getting into before you leap, but if you MUST leap, may I offer you: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22430-Imola-Yellow-quot-Taxi-quot-For-Sale-24-500obo?p=211021#post211021

Steve

JSRS6
April 3rd, 2011, 06:01
Like others have said, make sure you know what you're getting into before you leap, but if you MUST leap, may I offer you: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22430-Imola-Yellow-quot-Taxi-quot-For-Sale-24-500obo?p=211021#post211021

Steve

Steve, WTF mate? What are you possibly going to replace Imola with? Other than another RS 6 of course. :race:

SAFE4NOW
April 3rd, 2011, 15:37
Steve, WTF mate? What are you possibly going to replace Imola with? Other than another RS 6 of course. :race:

... I can tell you that is still has 4 rings and a v10...

S

JSRS6
April 3rd, 2011, 15:51
... I can tell you that is still has 4 rings and a v10...

S

...and door blades...