PDA

View Full Version : Pothole damages headlight alignment?

SAF
March 30th, 2011, 03:34
Long story short:
Yesterday I'm passing the first car of two cars in a line on a two-lane road, when she decides to cut out and pass the first car as I'm next to her. I am forced off the road and hit the most hellacious hole ever at about 45+mph. I was sure I'd blown the tire and maybe even broken a rim. Thankfully neither occured.

FF to dark:thirty this morning-
My headlights are shining above the road. Highbeams are into space (well maybe a bit lower - treetops). You know how when you fire up the lights, they do that self-leveling thing and drop into place while warming up? Mine aren't dropping anymore. Where do I begin the exploratory surgery? What controls that function? Do you think I can just adjust them down a bit and forget the automatic leveling thing they do (did)?

kevin
March 30th, 2011, 03:39
You may have dislodged or broke the little lever that attaches to the front lower left front control arm. It connects to the headlight level sensor behind the LF wheel. I think there is one on the LR suspension too.

4everRS
March 30th, 2011, 04:01
Yep, I would be willing to bet that's exactly the case. It happened to me once when a shop was strapping the car down on the dyno. The strap must have forced the metal clip that attaches to the lower control arm to move down the arm.

It may not be broke, and maybe just the clip is a little off of where it is supposed to be. There are little bumps on the lower control arm that the clip is supposed to sit between.
You may have dislodged or broke the little lever that attaches to the front lower left front control arm. It connects to the headlight level sensor behind the LF wheel. I think there is one on the LR suspension too.

JSRS6
March 30th, 2011, 04:18
I agree as well, if it was one headlight doing this I would say the back of the lens came off the level motor, which would cause the angle. But since both are, it's more likely the arm.

SAF
March 30th, 2011, 04:28
Thanks guys! I guess I'll crawl under her tomorrow to check it out - anybody have a picture of this "lever" and it's exact location?

kevin
March 30th, 2011, 04:30
Pull off the LF wheel, you can't miss it. Or turn the front wheels tight left.

SAF
March 30th, 2011, 05:29
That's way too easy. There must be a more difficult way to access this. We are talking about The Beast right? ;)

JSRS6
March 30th, 2011, 06:07
Almost as easy as changing the radio stations :hihi:

vitalian
March 30th, 2011, 15:30
That's way too easy. There must be a more difficult way to access this. We are talking about The Beast right? ;)

I'm sure it is MUCH easier to reach it if you drop the engine first...:)

SAF
March 30th, 2011, 17:09
LOL, that's what the dealer would do!

Aronis
March 30th, 2011, 18:51
this attachment

Aronis
March 30th, 2011, 18:52
and yes, one in the drivers side rear, but NOT an easy clip on but a nut and bolt (10mm...)

SAF
March 30th, 2011, 20:49
Thanks. The left front took the hit, but it felt like the whole car exploded.

Elevens
March 30th, 2011, 22:43
Sucks. I hope there is any hidden damage. A hit like that really hurts you mentally also. I've been there. Cost me a Rim and a tire......

Aronis
March 31st, 2011, 11:58
But as long as the person who cut you off got away unharmed.

(Aka "leaving scene of accident")

Mike